-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a BUNCH of Sitka gear, I like it and my wife loves to buy it for me. It makes her happy knowing whatever she purchases will be used. My gear works well, it isn't anything super but it has held up and I find the cut fits me well. The real performer is my Sitka Downpour rain gear, I've never had rain gear work that well. The 90% jacket is too heavy for the performance delivered. Celsius bibs are a delight to wear. The ascent pants are so-so but I do wear them a lot. The base layer faded heavily after a couple of washings but is warm and comfortable although I most commonly wear SmartWool. Beanie is nice, light, warm, and comfortable; I've slept in it several nights camping. The ball cap is my favorite but it does leak a tad where the bill meets the cap during heavy rain. Never warmed to wearing the vest but it is a nice add on really cold days.

My all time favorite pants are Eddie Bauer Mountain Guide Pants. The Schoeller material out performs anything I've ever worn. I haven't tried them in the briers but have slid on lots of rocks. They do keep me warm and dry and the stretch makes it SOOOO comfortable. Heard about them here first.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I recently returned for a CO elk hunt where we hunted in a foot or more of snow. For the trip I picked up a pair of Gore-Tex Upland Field Pants from LL Bean to replace a pair of rain pants. They are light weight compared to other hunting pants and, after washing, were not any more noisy than my other pants. They are also briar-proof and proved to be waterproof even when sitting in snow for an hour or so at a time. Best $139 I've spent on hunting clothing.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a lot of the pricey gear and use it hard. I do have to say that I really liked the 1st gen sitka mtn pants for example,I still use a pr after 8 yrs of hard use, but the newer stuff often seems to have too many silly doodads on it. I do use cabelas microtex, I find cabelas gear hit or miss but the microtex stuff works great. Recently got a pair of LL bean north weave pants, they are really really nice and only $60, and they come in green as well as camo. note they do run really small, I wear 35 jeans and needed 38s.

Like others have said, there is a world of difference in the gear I need in remote high el country when I am backpacking or need to plan to spend and survive a night out .vs. on my visits to my Buddy's ranch...

Last edited by JRK; 11/14/13. Reason: typos
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have a lot of newer high tech gear. Most Sitka is decent but it doesn't hold a candle to Kuiu.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by centershot
After hiking all over Southern Idaho this fall in my old Denim Camo pants (occasionally soaked - often cold) I'm starting to consider some of the high tech fabric pants. Are they really worth $200+? I'm not worried about any fashion statement but I would really like to find something that performs better than Denim when it is not cold enough for Fleece. I am a tightwad, most of my camo comes from Walmart and I tend to believe that the poly blend there works as good for me as under-armor. I guess what I would like to find is the equivalent or a pant that has the features but does not cost an arm and leg. What's your experience and your favorites. Thanks.

No, they're not worth the financial expense, and that conclusion comes from 50+ years of traversing the back country, internationally.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I love this thread. I don't have the experience or the $$$ to evaluate all of the mega-dollar clothing out there, and when people who have a decade of heavy outdoor clothing use write that there are good lower-dollar alternatives out there, I listen.

Speaking of which, Maverick, do you mind telling us what you use?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Would also like to know what you like to use Maverick. Thanks.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Back up, time for some new pants - what's a good one?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Core4Element, Kryptek, First Lite, and Cabelas has some pretty good stuff as well. Try Camofire.com or Black Ovis.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I posted this statement on 6/9/2014

"Got caught in that storm that spawned a tornado in Salida on Sunday. Think of the William Tell Overture. That's the storm that I got caught in. Most of the time my expensive gear isn't really necessary. But that storm is the kind that justifies needing the best."

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Of late, the ML season is Co has been wetter than usual.
I had a set of the expensive Cabelas packable raingear and they don't hold up. This year I have a set of Bass Pro, not packable, but heavier. They were 1/2 the price.

Strolling thru Cabelas yesterday in Lone tree, I checked all the rain gear out. Ain't no way in hell I am paying $300 for a jacket or pants or even $150.

When in the saddle. I throw a heavy duty pauncho over the saddle, with the horn sticking out of the head opening, then I put on the rain gear. I am very dry that way, even in heavy downpours and all my gear/tack stays dry. For snow use, I have a set of insulated bib's I got on sale at Dick's for 1/2 price. About $50. They keep me warm and they are almost water proof.
I guess I could se it if you are guiding or such and out in the weather for several months at a time or maybe Alaska where it is always wet.

Guys that are buying this stuff have a heck of a lot more money that I do.

I tend to not hunt in the rain or a snow storm. I have found the animals hole up and hunting success goes way down. I do like they do. If I am out and about, I hunker down under some big pine tree and wait it out. If I get up in the AM and it is snowing or raining, I go back to bed. Hunting is suppose to be fun, and getting soaked or even being out in the rain or snow isn't. When you get older with a few more rings under your bark, you get smarter.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
When you get older with a few more rings under your bark, you get smarter.

I'm not sure if I'm any smarter, but I tend to remember my mistakes and I try not to repeat them.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
High quality synthetic pants, shorts and jackets at Goodwill??
Yep. Gore-tex, Dry Plus, wool, wool-blend, etc. Sitka, maybe not. You don't need to go to the top of the market for good synthetics. Those brands may indeed be worth the price, but that did not seem to be the question from the OP.

Regarding performance underwear, I have a pair of $20 Underarmor boxers that are 10 years old, and 4 $20 pairs that are 3 years old. The older pair are twice as good quality as the newer pairs for the same coin. I'll look elsewhere for boxers next time.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
65/35 milsurp pants will get you a long, long way. They come in lighter and heavier weights. Add gaiters and you've pretty much got it knocked. Especially if there's room for a layer underneath. I wear DryPlus rain pants over them if it is super cold. But if you are moving, they are warm enough. To sit in a blind, I take a sleeping bag ...

How many rocket-science features can be in a beanie cap? Seriously. You're paying for the sweet matching logo.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at the website a guy could wear 1k worth of clothes

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My brown bear guide for 2016 recommends either Sitka or Swazi out of New Zealand, the latter being outrageously expensive. We will be using Sitka. He also suggests Helly-Hansen Impertech, particularly if the Goretex coat is not Sitka or Swazi and is more than a couple of years old. He also suggests lightweight chest waders with wading boots. It will be what we use. I expect to have rain at least 50% of the time.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks guys for the comments thus far - let me elaborate a bit on how I hunt. I usually start out in early September archery hunting. Weather is typically cold in the mornings ~30 degrees and warms to 60 or 70 in the afternoons. A typical elk jaunt consists of a 5-6 mile hike with 2K vertical. I sometimes bivy for a night or two. The weather is typically dry with an occasional rain shower. I usually go from the warmish bowhunting to cooler deer rifle or if I can draw a tag rifle elk hunts that are in mid to late October. This is where things get cold and wet at time. As was suggested above I've made due with denim, poly long johns and gaiters when wet. Chances of an unplanned overnighter are there but not too likely. I carry enough stuff in my pack to survive and it is rarely too wet to get a fire going. I was kind of wondering if some of these 'wonder' materials could be used for all that, still be quiet, dry and not feel like wet burlap bags draped off my legs when climbing. Sound like I'm asking an awful lot from a pair of pants, but for $200 I'd expect a lot. Thanks. I should add that I have and wear when it's really cold, old military surplus wool and or fleece pants. They work but are heavy and really suck to climb in. I do nearly all my hunting on foot and almost all requires a pretty big climb to get up where the critters are. Makes for a very difficult clothing solution to not get sweaty on the way up, yet stay warm once you get there and slow down. Layers work on the top half but are much more difficult to deal with on the lower half.

KUIU Attack pants ,done

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I tend to believe that the poly blend works as good for me as under-armor.

I agree partially. I have welcomed the advent of these new garments. I like less bulk, equal warmth which equates to greater mobility. The poly blends work very, very well. But, they will stink after first wearing & I don't like that. I will pay the money for the effective thinner stuff.

I do have a King of the Mountain wool coat. That thing will cook toast by itself. smile

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I only use Sitka or Kuiu for the merino base layers. Think Filson wool, it's been working for hundreds of years (Wool, not Filson). It retains 80% of body heat when wet, doesn't smell like azz after a few days wearing it, and is pretty rugged in rough country. Down sides are it takes FOREVER to dry if you do get it wet, and it can be bulky heavy, but I find I don't need extra heavy weight wool if I just layer. I start with Merino wool base layer by KUIU, First Lite or Sitka, and Smartwool socks, Filson wool shirt, Filson wool vest and a heavy wool sweater for if it gets really cold. Wool pants are either LL Bean or lighter weight Filson with gortex gaiters. Wool hat, wool gloves. I never get cold and carry my layers in my pack. I've got a Filson waterfowl sweater with the wind stopper lining that keeps me warm down into the teens easily. Good wool pieces can also be pricey, but I've got a few pieces that have seen regular use in the field for 25-30 years and they are still going strong.

PS- you don't need camo, plaid and solid colors worked long before all the new fangled camo patterns came out. Admittedly, my rain gear (Cabela's MT050) is camo, but it doesn't come out of the pack all that often, and I still fill my fair share of tags.

God Bless America!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I use a lot of wool, some surplus stuff I have had and used for years. I don't expect to be needing it in spring coastal Alaska. I have been eyeballing the Kuiu rain wear lately though. Seems to be a fair bit heavier but also a fair bit less costly.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 3,160 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,554
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.