[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Some people Live and work in the real world and there are others that wear Rose coloured Glasses !Enjoy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
True enough, but he keeps coming back.

Just like a bad case of the clap, but not quite as useful

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Is a Hog Tuffer to kill Then A Deer? Or is a deer Tuffer To Kill? Your Thoughts.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Steve, that was wonderful.
Thank You

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm glad that everyone liked it. smile Thanks!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can shoot a hog but not bcd. I don't care about legality, which one is dumber???

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There was a good article in one of my gun magazines, I think it was Guns and Ammo, they mentioned that hogs are different than deer in that hydro static shock is more effective on a pig. Using a large bore rifle like a 45-70 has trouble taking them out, and a .223 with a heavy bullet will drop them.

Deer have a better public relations image too. Wild hogs are looked down upon, not nearly as aesthetically appealing as a white tail, and you see lots of paintings of deer on office walls, but never a wild pig. A .22 rim fire will work on just about anything if you use good shot placement. Grizzly bears have been killed with .22's. Personally I would prefer a .375 H & H rifle on a griz.

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
All Im Asking> and you people just twist in the Wind!>Is a Hog Harder to Kill then a Deer with a 22 mag?> and no one will say SQUAT!>Very intro!He >had the first big Balls to just scrap the thought!

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Indians can shoot moose in northern Canada with 22Longs > Take that to the Bank!

IC B3

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
How many moose are lost this way. the gov does not care> but is done to this day!Enjoy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bcd
Is a Hog Harder to Kill then a Deer with a 22 mag?

No.

[Linked Image]

I urge you to take this to www.accuratereloading.com for verification. Take your time if you want, they are your kind of people.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
DD, you are a murderous SOB with that .22

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The pig nation has a price on my head probably. That gun is chambered only for shorts and it is fed a steady diet of CCI CB shorts. Somewhere around 90 porkers in the last 5-6 years, had to shoot one twice. Chitt happens.

Anything in the RF world that is manufactured today, when used on larger game, FPE and such gak is meaningless and placement is everything. If you can exercise the patience to wait for the proper presentation of aspect by your quarry AND you have the discipline to pass on less than a proper set up, it matters little what cartridge is used. Stick the CNS and stuff dies. Pretty simple stuff. Holmes would call it "elementary".

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
The pig nation has a price on my head probably. That gun is chambered only for shorts and it is fed a steady diet of CCI CB shorts. Somewhere around 90 porkers in the last 5-6 years, had to shoot one twice. Chitt happens.

Anything in the RF world that is manufactured today, when used on larger game, FPE and such gak is meaningless and placement is everything. If you can exercise the patience to wait for the proper presentation of aspect by your quarry AND you have the discipline to pass on less than a proper set up, it matters little what cartridge is used. Stick the CNS and stuff dies. Pretty simple stuff. Holmes would call it "elementary".

Where is your preferred kill spot? I intend to try for a hog this season in our local management area but I will need to use a 22 RF to be legal because I will be legally hunting squirrels. My rifles are very accurate and scoped well. I can't tell if your shots were just behind the ear or possibly the ear hole itself. I will be on the ground so the elevated between the eyes shot won't be likely to present itself, unless I catch some bedding under a rock bluff and I can get above.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 11/18/13.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

no hog yet, and I use subsonic .22 LR's, but I've done more work with a .22 and headshots than anything else. don't need expanding bullets, "high velocity" .22's or anything either, I just make sure that the gun is "point and shoot" dead on accurate to 50 yds, which usually means CCI subsonics or Wolf MT, depending on the rifle. then its just a matter of doing my part.

the hogs are after you, but the squirrels are coming for me ...

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Head on I shoot the brain, slightly above the eyes. From the side I aim for the cervical vertebrae behind the jaw. I have not killed any hogs above 125# with the neck shot but several up to around 250# folded with the frontal brain shot.

I shoot from the ground exclusively, but in the past used tree stands and busted a couple hogs that way as well. Shoot to where you want the bullet to be, not the hide that covers it. The graphic above is reasonably accurate.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 11/18/13.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I add two points: hogs have 2 layers of skull on the sides and that around the ears has wide spacing. I don't consider it a reliable target for shorts due my memory of the large bore that looked up after such a shot with a quizzical expression. He folded with a second to the forehead.

Secondly, I have found the CBs to be better penetrators than high v ammo since they do not expand. HP and SV LR ammo kills but it often does not exit.

I am..........disturbed.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
So do you think I would have better luck with head shots using 40 grn SV target ammo or 40 grn CCI Velocitors? I would have thought the Velocitors before your comment about SV ammo.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would go with the SV as they have proven reliable for me to date. If you're in a stand you only need to wait for them to raise their snout while looking past your stand and the aspect of their forehead will be good. From the ground I wait for them to look down so as to give me the closet angle to perpendicular for bullet strike. It doesn't have to be perfect, just sort of close. Just my gut talking but somewhere within 30* of perp will work.

10/22 and CCI SV:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have recovered about 50% of the SV bullets from pigs shot with them and they have all penetrated bone and are significantly deformed. They seldom track in a true straight line though they do not deviate a great deal. They are usually found under the offside hide.

I have recovered 100% of HVHP bullets, usually the HP section is gone to fragments after a bone strike. By virtue of my intent they all hit bone.

The only CB short bullets I've recovered and that accounts for over 80% of the pigs shot, none have been recovered from a neck shot as they completely pass thru. All are recovered from frontal brain shots, in the neck, usually close to the shoulder or chest. They pass thru the skull and brain without exception.

It is my opinion that HP bullets or those with high velocity are not only unnecessary, their terminal performance is counterproductive. All you have with the .22 is a small diameter hole. The longer that hole is, the more damage it will do. I'm not claiming the HV stuff won't work, but they aren't as predictable as SV or LV ammo.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,889 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,993
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.