Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8237616 11/09/13
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
38 years ago tomorrow.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hgI8bta-7aw[/video]

Me

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's an interesting story. I saw a documentary about that, where they went down and retrieved the ships bell and brought it up. They told the story, and showed graphics, about how the ship actually broke apart in that freak storm. At the end of the show, they rang the actual ships bell 29 times, one for each crewman lost on that ship. One of the better documentary's that I've seen.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great song

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Before I went in the Navy, I worked on those ships 1962 - 1964. I didn't know any of the crew on the "Fitz" personally, but we saw it about once a week somewhere between Detroit and Superior Wisconsin, sometimes within shouting distance.

If you haven't been there, you have no idea of the sheer power of water and the fury that storms can bring to the Lakes.

Myron

Last edited by speedsixman; 11/09/13.

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
IC B2

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by speedsixman
Before I went in the Navy, I worked on those ships 1992 - 1994. I didn't know any of the crew on the "Fitz" personally, but we saw it about once a week somewhere between Detroit and Superior Wisconsin, sometimes within shouting distance.

If you haven't been there, you have no idea of the sheer power of water and the fury that storms can bring to the Lakes.

Myron

Guessing that's a typo in the dates as the Fitz was on the bottom 17 years before you would have had a chance to see her?

smile

Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for catching my brain phart. I was only 30 years off!
I went back and corrected the post.

The ship I worked on at the time was the Paul Carnahan, long since scrapped. Almost all the big ships from that era have been replaced with larger automated ships that take a fraction of the 30-something crews to operate. All self-unloaders instead of the Hulett unloaders that used to be at the unloading ports.

Myron

Last edited by speedsixman; 11/09/13.

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
thanks for that.....

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by speedsixman
Before I went in the Navy, I worked on those ships 1962 - 1964. I didn't know any of the crew on the "Fitz" personally, but we saw it about once a week somewhere between Detroit and Superior Wisconsin, sometimes within shouting distance.

Myron

+1. I have been on Lake Michigan and its power is amazing. I have never had the Atlanic scare me like Lake Michigan did.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cool stuff ...grew up with that story.... I like the "more info" days now ....ends the "wth happen".....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
+1 on the big lakes being scary. I've had the bejesus scared out of me on Erie in a bassboat. I didn't unclench for a week!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would no more take a bass boat very far out in Lake Erie than flap my arms and try to fly!
I have seen guys out nearly to the islands in one of those, but it would be a cold day in Hades before I tried it. I got one of the worst rides of my life on Erie, and that was on a 730 foot ship!

Myron

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a friend of mine that sails a 27 foot boat the weights 14 tons on the Great Lakes and says he does better than power boats on there in a storm although he will seek a safe port if he can in a storm.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lake Erie claimed my G-Grandfather and his brother.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Same night the Fitz went down, we had two guys drown off our pier. The pier reaches out about a half mile into the lake ending at the lighthouse. Waves were pushing 10-12' and some high school kids thought it would be cool to walk out there. Waves swept them off. A couple of my buddies were surfing and got one, but the rip kept pulling them out. CG had the 44 footer out there and it was having all it could do just to make way. The Cutter couldn't help as it was too hazardous to be in that close. They called a chopper up from CG station Chicago and the guys on shore were firing off flares for light. The surfers made it back with one guy after an hour and a half. They only recovered a shoe of the other two Darwin Award winners.

Lake Michigan never gave up her dead. She's a lot of fun to play in during the summer, but she can be an angry bitch when she wants to. You have to respect her.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I don't like Lake Superior and Lake Michigan scares me , I used to fish on it quite a bit. Some say the waves were over 30' high when the the Fitz went down.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We lost a duck hunter today not far from where the Fitz went down. frown

http://www.coastguardnews.com/searc...nter-found-in-munuscong-lake/2013/11/10/

Downstream from the Locks, Munuscong Lake is technically part of the connecting waters of the Great Lakes between Superior and Huron. It's a heavily used migration route for ducks and is usually some pretty good shooting this time of year. It's only 3-6' deep, except for the shipping channel, so it whips up into a frenzy with the 30mph winds we had this weekend. No doubt the Fitz came through here many times on it;s downbound voyages.

May this duck hunter as well as the mariners of the Edmund Fitzgerald rest in eternal peace.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
God bless those hearty soles

That is one of my favorite songs of all time and one of my favorite stories i thinknif I hadnt taken the career route I did. Some sort of maritime life would have been the way I went

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
gitem 12,
"Some sort of maritime life would have been the way I went"

I wish I could remember an old poem, but it starts something like: "Men go down to the sea in ships to tall ships and the sea...."

Where did you grow up?

I grew up on the "North Coast" of Ohio on in a Lake Erie port city, so ships and the water were always part of our lives. My father had sailed for a few years in his younger days so some of that may have rubbed off on me.
I was "invited" to go to work for one of the shipping companies, so took them up on it.
I have always had a fascination for boats and water so that fit right into my mindset for about three years until military service came calling. My very small exposure to a Navy ship was so different from the freighters that I hated it. It seemed that the bullhorn was constantly shouting: "attention on deck - all hands - now hear this....."
I was more than happy to get shore duty in NW Africa for the duration of my service, and I never went back to shipping.

Myron

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I grew up on the finger lakes. Of NY. But was always drawrn to the chesapeake bay and spent alot of time around Havre Degrace

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
740 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 75 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,223
Posts18,371,141
Members73,764
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.