Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
You know. Like the old LLBean, and woolrich type jackets and such

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes, in some weather. Wear a lot of the modern high-tech stuff as well, but wool is still great for certain conditions.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I actually wear the Gallatin Range stuff from Columbia still. Works great and I have no complaints with it. It does take a bit more upkeep in some ways but I like it.
Used to wear my grandfathers old LL Bean gear when i was younger. I outgrew it in my teens though.

Mark

What part of "Constitutionally !!LIMITED!!" don't you understand?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Almost always in a Pendleton shirt. Use Stormy Chromer or the old wool crusher hats and wool vests quite a bit. It's gotta be really cold for me to wear wool pants, or a double mackinaw style coat. But they are classy.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Merino wool as a base layer/socks, I do have a couple old sweaters for middle layers, but usually wear syn as outerwear.

Kent

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes, lots in all kinds of flavors, from Stormy Kromer's on my noggin to merino wool on my feet.

I also use fleece as a layering garment with technical outerwear.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm probably the odd man out I wear synthetic base layer, fleece mid layer, wool shirt and cotton/blend pants. But have a set of heavy synthetics i put on when I get to my stand. I'm guilty of not being much of a stand hunter though. i can sit for a couple hours but thats about it.

Hell i still wear leather boots treated with bees wax

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yep, Wool Bibs and 2 sets of wool pants not to mention 4 wool shirts. Base layers are the new synthetic maaterial. Socks have some wool content. Still tough to beat wool, but it is heavy.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I also use Sitka and First Lite base layers and they work great.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing I've found feels as warm and snug as a good old Filson caped macinaw, but those babies are heavy. I've had excellent luck with military surplus wool pants, especially the ones that go with the "Ike" jackets, but I haven't seen any for sale for a while. One thing's sure, I"ll never wear wool long johns again if there's the slightest chance I'll get wet! That's an itch I'll never forget!

I've got a lot of fleece stuff and it's light and warm, but for me, it tends to collect moisture on the inside and unless lined, doesn't cut the wind too well. Still, I probably wear fleece most of the time for the light weight.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You bet. Gun season opening morning tradition on stand.

In a week the wool will be hanging in the breeze on the back porch. The Wisconsin countryside will be full of blaze orange attire as well.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by roundoak
You bet. Gun season opening morning tradition on stand.

In a week the wool will be hanging in the breeze on the back porch. The Wisconsin countryside will be full of blaze orange attire as well.

[Linked Image]

Thats the stuff i'm talking about. Man i can see that stuff hangin outside the cabin and an old 760 in ought six leaning in the corner. With a well worn pair of leather boots sitiin near the stove letting the bees wax melt into the leather

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup. Woolrich or Filson mackinaw for stand sitting when it's really cold along with Woolrich bibs or Army issue wool pants.

Warmer weather or walking a Filson single jacket works great.

Smartwool socks everyday. Can't stand cotton socks.

The only time I wear anything synthetic anymore is if it's raining like a cow whizzin' on a flat rock. I've got a set of Browning rain gear that's about as quiet as water proof stuff gets.

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wore the same surplus German army wool pants this year I've had for ~22 years. Don't know whether those can still be had or not. Also wore a nice wool sweater; think it had Eddie Bauer's name on the label. I like wool because it is, or at least all of mine is, absolutely silent walking about. Doesn't seem to have a game-offending aroma, either. It's also still about as warm if/when it gets wet. Down side is that it's HEAVY, which is more of an issue to me when I shed it later in the day, or for packing an animal out.

My 'base layer' (I call them long johns or thermals, but thought some of you might not know those 'old' words wink ) is silk, but I have a set of polyprops, too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I picked up a couple of pairs of brown wool German army (not sure which one!) pants from Cabelas surplus section about 10 years ago for $9.95 each. Heavy wool, full cut, suspender buttons, and lots of pockets, they are great on stand, but after all this time they still have a lingering mothball odor.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my prime hunting days a pair of Woolrich Malones with logger suspenders, Duo fold long underwear, and a few old Pendleton wool shirts topped off with an orange woolrich shirt..which got well used ...not really orange
I had the wife sew in an extra layer of wool from my old worn out Malone's in the knees and ass to sit or kneel in the snow. The pants would last 3 years.

I have a few pairs of the German wool issue pants and they are great

Today the Cabela's windshear pants and shirts seem to fill the same needs with less weight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For you folks who wear wool shirts, pants or base layers, do you have any problems washing them ie do they shrink much?

Used to wear quite a bit of wool but most items have been replaced these days. I wouldn't mind trying some of those German army surplus wool pants but only if they are reasonably easy to look after..

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've don't believe I've ever tried washing these woolens. The dry cleaner nearest where I live now charges $2.50 apiece to clean them, so I probably won't try the washing machine any time soon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 15 years ago I got some military surplus gray wool pants (German? Swedish? I can't recall) from Sportsman's Guide. They're still going strong. Still have a heavy plaid Melton "Wintermaster" shirt that I'm pretty sure is all wool but doesn't say so on the tag. Just says "dry clean only"... Would that be wool? Bought it in 1973! Have worn it just about every hunting season since. Even shot my first (and only) mule deer wearing it in 2006 in Wyoming and the biggest whitetail of my life wearing it in 1989. Around here, deer season, (gun) starts next Saturday. You know what shirt I'll have on!.. It's become a tradition.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Absolutely.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (160user, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 12344mag, 2500HD, 23 invisible), 10,141 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,340
Posts18,546,391
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.