Print Thread
Hop To
#8245313 11/11/13
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Kinda curious what you might all consider "too windy" for bow hunting?

..... I'd like to think everyone has a point where they'd rather just wait it out until another day

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Direction for a particular set determines my hunting activity more than wind speed. However higher wind speeds do dictate closer shot choices than calm days.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm usually good up to about 15 mph as long as it's steady. My problem with high winds, especially gusty winds, is that we usually get a back wind after each gust that goes in the opposite direction contaminating the entire area. I'm a firm believer you are never going to beat their nose so why ruin a good stand with a crappy wind. If the winds aren't steady and predictable I'll go duck hunting or load some ammo.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bbassi
I'm usually good up to about 15 mph as long as it's steady. My problem with high winds, especially gusty winds, is that we usually get a back wind after each gust that goes in the opposite direction contaminating the entire area. I'm a firm believer you are never going to beat their nose so why ruin a good stand with a crappy wind.

I'm with you on this. The wind is always more consistant outside of the big woods and thick cover, but bowhunting in open areas on a windy day is pretty low on my list of things I like to do. If I just HAVE to hunt a windy day, a ground blind in thick, low cover, is my preferred method. 30' up a pine tree works okay too, but is not very comfortable.

As far as shooting itself is concerned, the wind definately pushes an arrow, not just left and right, but up and down. Fast arrows with small fletch seem to drift pretty consistently, but slow arrows with feathers will go sideways on you and the last thing you want is to hit an animal with an arrow that is not going straight.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unless it's over 25, it's more about where I hunt than whether I hunt. I don't believe high winds much deter big bucks from traveling during the rut. This last week in SE Iowa has been ridiculous for wind most days.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, AceBall, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 16 invisible), 1,045 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,927
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.