Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
JeffP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
In Wyoming
You boys are right to want to limit Stupid NR hunters...

Man Sentenced for Shooting Moose for Elk

11/18/2013

BAGGS - Thanks to a tip from a concerned hunter, a Rawlins man is facing fines and penalties for killing a moose he thought was an elk and leaving it to waste.

Albert Wayne Vanderford Jr., 49, of Rawlins, was sentenced by Judge Jane Eakin in the Carbon County Circuit Court on Nov. 6 for taking a moose without a license. Judge Eakin sentenced Vanderford to a one year probation, hunting and trapping privileges suspended for three years, and $8,520 in court fines and restitution for the moose.

Baggs Game Warden Kim Olson said had it not been for a tip from another hunter who suspected something was illegal this case might not have been solved.

�On Oct. 25, Vanderford asked another hunter not associated with him if he would help load his �elk�, Olson said. �This legal hunter immediately knew that was no elk and told Vanderford that it was a moose and not an elk.�

Vanderford proceeded to tell the other hunter that he moved to Rawlins from Florida and it was his first time hunting elk. The other hunter was able to provide a physical description of Vanderford, including that he had a southern accent, a vehicle description, and a partial license plate number.

�Had this man not taken the time to record this information we might not have been able to solve this case,� Olsen said.

Olson said everyone makes mistakes at some time in their life and hunters are no exception.

�We understand that accidents happen, but honesty is the best policy in every case,� Olson said. �Mr. Vanderford had two opportunities to turn himself in and admit he made a mistake. Instead, he chose to flee the scene, lie about the moose poaching, and leave a moose to waste instead of field dressing it. He could have made the best of a bad situation, but he chose poorly. If there is a bright side, it�s the fact that another hunter cared enough to notice there was a problem and take action.�

Olsen said the moose did not go to waste. �The Snake River Taxidermy and Processing Plant in Baggs donated the time and cost to process the moose and the meat was given to those in need.�

Anyone with information on a wildlife violation may call the Stop Poaching Hotline at 877-WGFD-TIP. Tips may be reported online at wgfd.wyo.gov and to local Game and Fish offices and game wardens. Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a cash reward of up to $5,000 if the information leads to a conviction.

(Contact: Kim Olsen (307) 383-2160)

-WGFD-

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This is not an uncommon occurrence, it happens every year.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
JeffP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Work with me..........

I just can't find how long since he moved to Wy

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
He got off too easy. Not that he shot a moose by mistake, but that he was not honest and ran. He shouldn't be able to hunt the state again for life.

Maybe even a warning to other western states to not give him a tag. He acted like a criminal. Treat him like one.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
He got off too easy. Not that he shot a moose by mistake, but that he was not honest and ran. He shouldn't be able to hunt the state again for life.

Maybe even a warning to other western states to not give him a tag. He acted like a criminal. Treat him like one.
If WY takes away his hunting privledges he is automatically not allowed to hunt in any state that is a part of the 'Compact'. IIRC that numbers in the 30s.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Where I live here in Idaho, the F&G usually has a check station just out of town on the highway coming out of the St. Joe river. Its been 10 or 15 years ago a man came threw the check station to check in his first cow elk. He was proud as could be grinning from ear to ear. The only bad part was that his "cow elk" was somebody mule. He had field dressed it an everything. Don't remember the outcome. Some people should just not be allowed to hunt without supervision.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffP
In Wyoming

What does this have to do with NR hunters? Isn't Rawlins in WY?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Where I live here in Idaho, the F&G usually has a check station just out of town on the highway coming out of the St. Joe river. Its been 10 or 15 years ago a man came threw the check station to check in his first cow elk. He was proud as could be grinning from ear to ear. The only bad part was that his "cow elk" was somebody mule. He had field dressed it an everything. Don't remember the outcome. Some people should just not be allowed to hunt without supervision.

That made me laugh. I know it's not funny to the owner of the mule, but the guy being proud was funny.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Originally Posted by JeffP
In Wyoming

What does this have to do with NR hunters? Isn't Rawlins in WY?

Uhh, that was my question too. I'm a non resident that hunts out west & clearly know the difference between elk and moose. Appears the resident hunter is the problem in this case.

Maybe he meant a different Wyoming! laugh

Last edited by snubbie; 11/20/13.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by smokepole

^^^ This...unfortunately quite often...

Public landowner...
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just in case, I put big, bright orange neck bands on my llamas. It's not a cure all but it could make a difference.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Cinch
Originally Posted by smokepole

^^^ This...unfortunately quite often...

I think most guys who do it realize their mistake before trying to load it in the truck, at least.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
about 6 years ago a IDFG investigator approached our moose camp and stood just talking with us for a while. after about 30 minutes he came into the fire circle and sat down to a cup.
all this time I was wondering what was going on. He finally told us he was investigating a 48" bull kill that had been left to rot. still makes me sick just thinking about it. the party that was camped next to us had come in from hunting a few days before and packed up and left fast. Elk season was running at the same time. turns out these folks had come up from a city and had spent thousands on outfitting themselves with the latest and best equiptment. 4wheelers with zero miles on them etc. they just forgot to learn the difference between a Elk and a moose.
22000.00 fine loss of hunting rights etc. one sad mess that seems not to be isolated. by the way the shooter was a woman, but her nimrod of a husband told her to shoot. for all they knew it could have been a camel.(or a LLAMA)

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I hope they had to sell their house to pay the fine. Dumbazzes.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You know what makes you mad. Most hunters have to wait at least 20 years to hunt a moose in Colorado, and you're only allowed to kill one bull in your lifetime.

It's a big deal here, and these jerkoffs just shoot one, and try to get away with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my opinion Vanderford got off way too easy given the description of his behavior after the incident.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes Mam, I know it's your elk, just let me get my saddle off it first.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL. that print has a front and center place in my shop!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
JeffP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Reba
Yes Mam, I know it's your elk, just let me get my saddle off it first.

I got this as a birthday card at home too....
Spewed coffee out my nose first time I read it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember in PA----they would shoot a bull elk thinking it was a whitetail buck.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

416 members (222Sako, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 1,817 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,418
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.