Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sure glad the NRA backed Reid. He'll be sure to fight tooth and nail to keep any anti 2nd Amendment nominees off the bench. (Insert sarcastic emoticon here.)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was only "nuclear" when the Republicans had the majority in the Senate and talked about doing it. Now, the Dem's actually do it and it's ho hum, according to the media.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
None of this is going to matter in elections.

It doesn't matter how many times Obama lies, or what Reid and Pelosi do, as long as the freebies and welfare keep rolling out of D.C. the freeloaders will keep voting them in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
The advise and dissent of the Senate in these nominations - the way it has be explained to me- was never intended to give the Senate the power to block anyone except those grossly unqualified.

Who determines who is grossly unqualified? On what basis? Just because they are a Marxist or pedophile no longer matters. There is no fail safe now.

Shows that elections matter. There are those who bitched and bitched that there was no difference between McCain/Romney and Obama. Really? Not even in court appoints or does that not matter????

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ralphie

It doesn't matter how many times Obama lies, or what Reid and Pelosi do, as long as the freebies and welfare keep rolling out of D.C. the freeloaders will keep voting them in.

But with us at or near the debt cieling thats a problem because the useless are about to run out of other peoples money. ROTFLMAO

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The "nuclear option" of changing the ending of a filibuster rule from sixty Senators to fifty-one has been proposed by both Parties before. Going back to the 1980's. It may or may not stay. It only helps the Dems and Obama in the short term.

BTW: it does not affect the 2/3 majority needed to approve a Treaty.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Originally Posted by Ralphie

But with us at or near the debt cieling thats a problem because the useless are about to run out of other peoples money. ROTFLMAO

The debt ceiling hasn't been a roadblock yet. I doubt anything other than a total collapse of our society will stop the handouts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hatari
However, let me throw a monkey wrench into this discussion.

The advise and dissent of the Senate in these nominations - the way it has be explained to me- was never intended to give the Senate the power to block anyone except those grossly unqualified. The President of the United States wins the election, and is entitled to the cabinet of his choosing, not one that makes the Senate happy. Same goes for court appointees. That goes for Dems as well as GOP. That's the Spoils System.

I'm sure the Founding Fathers would never envision FDR attempting to pack the Supreme Court, or the Dems blocking Bush at every possible turn, but that's the system. Obama won, he gets his people. GOP wins next time, they get their people. Proof that elections do matter and proof for that McCain and Romney that haters that there would have been a difference had the either election turned out differently. Cabinet and court appointees would be much more conservative that what you've been getting.

It was 'splained to you wrong.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even though the act is disturbing, just thinlking out loud here. This could be a bit more complicated for the Dems than it would appear - possibly a phrrhic win.

Reid has to deal with the sad image that Obama made him do this (toady to a desperate Pres) and that leaves a bad taste.

Some Dem Senators probably did not want this at all - it could cause re-election problems for them if they go along with the power play - and that leaves a bad taste.

So, some of those Senators may not position/speak/vote as commanded, so as to put political space between themselves and the dictator.

And, this may give any smart Repubs another something to use in the mid-terms.

Just some thoughts.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1OntarioJim, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,775
Posts18,495,765
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.