Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
After growing up in a GM town and having most of my family work for GM, and owning many new GM vehicles I will not own another. A Toyota Tacoma cured me of that...
The only good thing about a diesel colorado is the fact that it will spur Toyota to finally put a diesel in the tacoma, which is up for a redesign in 2015.

Last edited by BWalker; 11/25/13.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by thin_man

Originally Posted by sackett
Have you driven a new Chevy truck???? They are quite to ride in and have plenty of nut. In factm I wouldn't even consider a dodge or ford.

Are we still talking about the Colorado or the Mexican built fullsize? Yes, I have bought a new Chevrolet truck before.

Name a company that hasn't got government money?

I can name a few that didn't file for bankruptcy and have to be bailed-out.

Let GM go out of business and the country will be in worse shape. GM like every other auto company gets their components from across the country, from many smaller companies. Let them go belly-up and so does many other companies, including mine.....

You make parts for GM trucks? Is this the reason for your bias against Dodge and Ford?

As for the rest of you guys.....you sound like a bunch of wet hens, I don't like this and i don't like that and they probably did this or that......

Welcome to the internet...and a discussion forum at that.

And yes their quality is better than honda and toylet.

No offense but I've owned Honda, Toyota, and Chevrolet and I don't agree. Or are you referring to initial quality of a 2014 which means absolutely nothing for the long term?

No, I am talking about the US built fullsize platform. And let me know which automaker you're referring to....I know toylet and BMW took US government money

As for Dodge and Ford, no we have and still make made parts for them as well. Also: Deere, Navistar, Cummins, JCB, IH, MF, Deutz, Olds, Cat, etc. So no, it isn't only because we built pumps for GM.

Dodge trannies suck. Period. Not to mention they rot out too fast. Ford's seem to have too many engine issues for my liking. Also, they are too damn loud with their diesel.

Long term quality has been better for me and my Chevy trucks over many of my co-workers imports and even my brother's Honda and sis-in-law's Volvo. Honda's paint is worse then the GM paint of the early 80's. Brand new car with paint peeling in 8 years.....poor quality. Volvo's most of their issues are with the wiring. it never fails....see a Volvo and see one or both tailights and/or brake lights out.

And thanks for introducing me to Al Gore's internet....[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

No, I am talking about the US built fullsize platform. And let me know which automaker you're referring to....I know toylet and BMW took US government money.

I see both of these went over your head. You do realize aside from many of the GM fullsize trucks being built in Mexico, over half of the parts content on the 2014's originates from Mexico? In fact 60% is not domestic. Do I need to attach a link from the NHTSA or a window sticker? Re-read my post about the companies. I clearly stated bankruptcy and bail-out.

Honda's paint is worse then the GM paint of the early 80's. Brand new car with paint peeling in 8 years.....poor quality.

Brand new or 8 years old?

Keep grasping.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kennyd
Wasn't the old GM diesel just a Chev block with high compression? I thought the head studs and crank weren't up to the task.
IIRC it was a 350 block converted to diesel.. Total pos... And when the outside temp dropped past 32F it wouldn't start. Most the people around here that owned one just parked 'em in the garage until spring - or never shut it off during the day and making darn sure they were plugged in at night..

GM alone was to blame for literally ruining the diesel market for about two decades..

As to a small diesel engine in a small truck, let's DO IT! Ford had those wonderful little diesels in the mid-80s for the Courier, Tempo and Topaz lines. 50+ MPG and the little bastids would start, on their own in -40F temps.. I know, because I drove one for a demo in early '84 during one of the coldest Decembers on record around here. Bought one for the wifey-poo and she drove it for years w/o a hiccup; averaging 45+ mpg..

But if it's a GM unit you won't find me anywhere NEAR it.. YMMV..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by thin_man

No, I am talking about the US built fullsize platform. And let me know which automaker you're referring to....I know toylet and BMW took US government money.

I see both of these went over your head. You do realize aside from many of the GM fullsize trucks being built in Mexico, over half of the parts content on the 2014's originates from Mexico? In fact 60% is not domestic. Do I need to attach a link from the NHTSA or a window sticker? Re-read my post about the companies. I clearly stated bankruptcy and bail-out.

Honda's paint is worse then the GM paint of the early 80's. Brand new car with paint peeling in 8 years.....poor quality.

Brand new or 8 years old?

Keep grasping.

The Honda was BOUGHT brand new and within 8 years the paint and clearcoat were peeling like nobody's business. Too old for a warranty.....My Chevy truck, three years older, paint job looked brand new. Road conditions for driving and storage the same....so no excuses about one being store indoors. So Honda's are better? My co-worker's Honda was 2 years older than my truck and and is rotting away.

The other companies got free government money, which is a bailout....like it or not.

You also realize There are US truck plants that are still in the US? And guess what, the money goes back into the US and not to some far away place.

As for you "keep grasping" comment.....Whatever.....

Enjoy your Thanksgiving as i am done with this pointless debate....

sackett

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by kecatt
Does every American taxpayer get one for free?
No. Free ones go to those who pay no taxes. Don't you know how this works yet? wink

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Where a vehicle was made plays second fiddle to not investing my hard earned cheddar in a POS. GM Vehicle are pure junk. My wifes 09 GMC Acadia has been a complete abortion and its only got 60k on it.
A good measure of quality is resale value. The Toyota Tacoma has very high resale, GM anything not so much.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sackettquote

The Honda was BOUGHT brand new and within 8 years the paint and clearcoat were peeling like nobody's business. Too old for a warranty.....My Chevy truck, three years older, paint job looked brand new. Road conditions for driving and storage the same....so no excuses about one being store indoors. So Honda's are better? My co-worker's Honda was 2 years older than my truck and and is rotting away.

Wow! Sounds like you have tons of first hand experience! Thanks for all the incite!

Originally Posted by sackettquote

The other companies got free government money, which is a bailout....like it or not.

Apparently you don't understand the term "bankruptcy". I don't think I can say or type anything to help you. Enjoy the holiday.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GM paint? Look for any 90's pick up, and try to find a few flakes left....

No, not very interested in a GM. I drive a Sonoma for my vehicle to zip between farms, and it's an abomination. Not quick, not cheap, not good on fuel, and not low maintenance. The ONLY good thing was that it was cheap to buy.

Lets hope it will spur Toyota to bring us a real compact pickup with a diesel. If it won't do forty MPG's, don't bother.

There's a LOT of farms out there that need a full size heavy duty diesel to pull trailers, and a little run around truck that is a fuel miser with super low maintenance.

There's a lot of competition on the HD pickup segment, but the first good, simple, inexpensive, economical pickup will instantly replace a lot of four wheelers and half ton pickups.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BWalker
After growing up in a GM town and having most of my family work for GM, and owning many new GM vehicles I will not own another. A Toyota Tacoma cured me of that...
The only good thing about a diesel colorado is the fact that it will spur Toyota to finally put a diesel in the tacoma, which is up for a redesign in 2015.

at Costco yesterday, I saw a Toyota Truck, with a Diesel in it...

it had Mexican Plates on it tho ( Sonora) and it was not labeled Tacoma, it had Hi Lux on its tail gate...

same size at a Tacoma, but looked a little different and more Spartan/Plain...

sure would have worked for me...

IC B3

srp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mazda is bringing a passenger car diesel next year.
http://futurecars2014.com/2013/07/2014-mazda-6-diesel-usa-release-date/

A fool uttereth all his mind - Proverbs 29:11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What America needs is a small, double cab 4wd pickup for under $18,000. No electric windows or any BS like that. Just AC and a radio.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You got that right. Vinyl floors, cruise/tilt, power brakes/steering, manual T-case, abs brakes, two airbags, steel bumpers, good ground clearance, 6spd manual and auto transmissions. I'd even say $22k for new would be good.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://subaru.co.uk/vehicles/new-forester/#compare click on "Economy & Environment" 1/2 way down...LOOK at them mpg!!! shocked we suck and Obama and the epa are in the backseat!

Last edited by atvalaska; 11/29/13.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JPro
You got that right. Vinyl floors, cruise/tilt, power brakes/steering, manual T-case, abs brakes, two airbags, steel bumpers, good ground clearance, 6spd manual and auto transmissions. I'd even say $22k for new would be good.

Toyota has your huckleberry right now if the EPA/NHTSA would get out of the way. They sell 'em all over the world.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. And they supposedly last for quite a few miles....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BarryC
What America needs is a small, double cab 4wd pickup for under $18,000. No electric windows or any BS like that. Just AC and a radio.

AMEN!

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
in 1982 I had a Diesel Toyota PU it got 40 MPG, my drove a Volkswagon Rabbit diesel that got 50 MPG.

Everyone knows why Toyota will not import a diesel small truck into the American markets....

Makes my blood boil every time I think about it.

"The liberals preach tolerance and diversity until presented with an opinion other than their own."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (160user, 204guy, 16penny, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,840
Posts18,496,853
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.