Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I'm searching for my first bolt action rifle and I have a trigger question.
I hear the savage accutrigger is great. I shot one last week and it was great with the safety trigger then the light pull.. nice.. understand the reason for it. light pull/less accidents..

but what about the other adjustable triggers.. like the Remington X-Mark Pro Trigger. looks easy to adjust..

Is there a "best" proven, trigger out there??? or which do I stay away from.

I was looking at the Savage and also Rem 700 but open to others.

Primary use will be target shooting mostly for now, 200 yards. I'm a bow hunter and plan on eventually rifle hunt with it. looking at .308

thanks for any help

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only "new style" factory trigger I've tried is the Savage, don't know about the others.

Lots of folks don't care for Savages.

A Left handed Savage was what I could afford when I went looking at rifles in HS and I've been shooting one since.

No problems, usually very accurate.

Not a real pretty or fancy weapon, but does everything I need right now.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The savage accutrigger is pretty good, but if you want really good then get a Remington & put a Jewell trigger on it. Nothing else comes close

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The best triggers on the market are usually aftermarket replacements for whatever rifle you chose.

I've had great results with Timneys and Shilens for 700's.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
The savage accutrigger is pretty good, but if you want really good then get a Remington & put a Jewell trigger on it. Nothing else comes close

Nothing wrong with Jewell, but they're not the only game in town. For aftermarket triggers, my first choice is usually a Timney.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Timney for hunting, Jewell for a bench.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like you're confining your search to factory triggers.

The Ruger American has a very good trigger, much like the Savage Accutrigger. They should adjust down to right at 3 pounds just be turning the adjustment screw. At least mine did. Mine breaks very cleanly with just a hint of overtravel but some examples in stores I've tried had a touch of creep.

The Tikka T3 has a great trigger, it can be adjusted down to right at 2 pounds again just by turning the trigger adjustment screw. Mine breaks very cleanly and is very consistent. The ones I've tried in stores were heavier since they hadn't been adjusted down to their lowest setting but all of them without exception have been very crisp.

The older Remington triggers could be adjusted to 3 pounds or under and break very cleanly but if you went much less than 3 you ran the risk of a slam fire where the striker falls if you close the bolt hard. That varies with the individual trigger. I have no experience with the new Remingon trigger.

Of the currently made factory rifles I'm familiar with the Tikka has the best trigger if you count weight, crispness, consistency and ease of adjustment.

They are a bit more expensive than the Savage and Ruger American, that's for sure.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Check out Howa.You will love the trigger.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
thanks guys.. you are right I am looking for advice on factory triggers... as I am on a budget and a plan... I want to get the rifle now, use it stock as is, get some decent glass and start shooting.. as I get better and save some money I will look for advice on what to upgrade first.. all depends on what i get..

the Remington trigger i think goes to 3 lbs and is easily adjustable.... the not sure if the accutrigger is adjustable

does the Ruger trigger adjust from the outside like the Remington.. or do you have to go internally..?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
JH88,

You can spend a lot of time and gold investigating rifle triggers. I recommend you start with a Remington M700 as that will give you a platform for which all the makers have something to offer. As well as the after-market triggers you can find talented trigger smiths out there who modify original items for specific purposes. You might look for a copy of Stuart Otteson's Benchrest Actions and Triggers too.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shilen trigger for a hunting gun, jewel for everything else. Tuned up Remington trigger is nothing to sneeze at though.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Remington 700 will give you the largest selection of after market excellent triggers and the stock trigger can be made to satisfy just about anyone's hunting trigger requirements. I would not advise a hunting trigger under 2 lbs. It's too likely to go off before you want under hunting conditions with cold or gloved hands.

A Tikka or Sako has a very nice factory hunting trigger adjustable down to 2 lbs.

The Savage, Marlin, Ruger,( basically same) is acceptable and a lot better than a lot of factory triggers but having had some experience with better triggers, I hate the side to side play(wiggle). You likely won't notice it when making a shot while hunting.

Whenever you adjust a trigger, do it with the action out of the stock and give it some fairly hard rear end and sideways smacks from a rubber hammer to make sure it will stand a drop or bump in the field. You need top do it outside the stock since I have seen some improperly relieved stocks split by bumping the butt on the ground for a test. A target or match trigger does not have to pass a bump test and likely won't, but those users know to take extra precautions and not load unless they are to be fired.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jarhead88

thanks for any help

jarhead88, please don't take this the wrong way. You're shopping for a leash before you get the dog. There's a trigger waiting for you for most of the quality/popular bolt guns out there.

Having said that, I would haunt the used gun market for a 1970s era Remington 700 in the model and caliber of your choosing. Proven track record for accuracy and dependability and one of the best triggers out there when it comes to adjustability.

You will have a rifle to enjoy and pass on to your grandkids without the expense of buying an aftermarket trigger.Spend the $$$$$$$$$ on a good pillar bedding job.

Trust me on this. JMHO smile

Denny.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by HawkI
The best triggers on the market are usually aftermarket replacements for whatever rifle you chose.

I've had great results with Timneys and Shilens for 700's.

The while is excellent that is the trigger on my 338 Laupa M-700

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by jarhead88

thanks for any help

jarhead88, please don't take this the wrong way. You're shopping for a leash before you get the dog. There's a trigger waiting for you for most of the quality/popular bolt guns out there.

Having said that, I would haunt the used gun market for a 1970s era Remington 700 in the model and caliber of your choosing. Proven track record for accuracy and dependability and one of the best triggers out there when it comes to adjustability.

You will have a rifle to enjoy and pass on to your grandkids without the expense of buying an aftermarket trigger.Spend the $$$$$$$$$ on a good pillar bedding job.

Trust me on this. JMHO smile

Denny.

Sound advice, my go to rifle is a Sporterized Springfield 30/06 I bought years ago from a local shop. It has been re barreled and is in a Fajan Monticarlo stock that has been reworked and glass bedded. The trigger has been replaced with an adjustable trigger of unknown pedigree. Nothing special about the gun but it has done the job for both me and others putting a lot of game on the table.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I'm with 284LUVR . There are a lot of older Rem 700s around , and they have very good Triggers once they are tuned . You can find Trigger Adjustment Instructions on the Internet , or if unsure , you can go to a good ( and I mean good , not necessarily famous ) Gunsmith to fine-tune that Trigger . I have found that almost every one will go Safely down to 32 Oz. or a tad more . In After Market Triggers ( and I'm talking about Target / Varmint Triggers ) , you can't go wrong with a Jewell , but I've even seen one bad Jewell probably mis-adjusted by its owner . The old Canjar Single Sets were excellent . I have felt some excellent Rifle Basix Triggers and some not so Excellent . I have heard good things about Jard , Shilen , and Kelbly , but most of these After Market Triggers are spendy . I've had bad luck with Timneys , but these were all already installed when I bought the Rifles . These were all on old ( but minty ) Rem 700s , and I could not get them to adjust for Pull Weight or Creep .... but they might have been damaged by the former owners .

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Remington seems to be have such a solid reputation... just finding out which model is hard, there are some many 700s. different barrels, styles.. so many to look through. not sure which will give me the best start

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
For Savage fans there are these:

www.sharpshootersupply.com/CenterfireTriggers.html

The one needs installation by SSS gunsmith Fred Moreo, the other can be a DIY project. The Target AccuTrigger on the Precision Target Actions I use are plenty good enough for me, but these are available.

Otherwise I use Jewel, Timney, JARD, and J.P. Enterprises triggers.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Timney for hunting, Jewell for a bench.

This

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You really have to decide what you are going to use use it for.

Dual purpose rifles can be frustrating for the newbie in that one rifle maybe great for you in one area but not exactly what your looking for in another.

Saw your post about target shooting thus the above comment.

Denny.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,664
Posts18,512,966
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.