Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
robes Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Im looking at having a custom rifle built in 30.06. My question is which is a better base to start with and specifically why. I know more parts are available for remington but the vanguard has some other advantages such as 1 piece bolt and integral recoil lug. Just wanted to see what everyones thoughts on this were since I have both available to build on.

GB1

R
robes Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
If it helps any I plan on having the action trued, brux #3 barrel installed, set in manners eh2 stock, bolt and barrel fluted and cerakoted and probable a timney trigger, not sure on make of trigger yet though.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If the weight of the finished product matters to you, compare the weight of the two actions. And talk to your gunsmith about what he thinks would turn out best.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
robes Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
The difference in weight between the two isnt an issue for me, the gunsmith im using loves to work on both, My thinking is the vanguard already has a one piece bolt and sako style extractor and i would be paying for that if i decide to use the rem for the build. I just dont want to make a hasty decision and miss something on this build so i wanted to ask for some opinions

R
robes Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Does anyone know if the vanguard bolts can be fluted since they already have the cheap straight flute?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are planning on the extractor-style as a "must have", I'd just go Vanguard/Howa and save the money you'd spend on modifying the Remington. Find a used one in good shape and buy a Timney.

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Robes,

If you had the means (and since you are going to have the action trued), you might look at a Stiller Predator or Borden Timberline action. They'll cost a bit more out the gate ($1000 or so), but the Predator specifically sounds like what you really want. No integral lug, but a one-piece bolt (Predator bolts are made by Pacific Tool and Gauge) and M16 extractor. Bolt already fluted also.

Edit: and no expense to true the action, because they are true from manufacture

v/r
Joel

Last edited by joelkdouglas; 11/30/13.
R
robes Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Ive looked at the stiller action but i already have the rem and vanguard so that is why i was asking, truthfully i dont think i can go wrong with either i was kinda looking for opinions if anyone else had this dilemma or if i was missing anything in my thought process as the is my first built gun

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I used the M700, I would NOT change the extractor...

Talk to your 'smith. Some guys can't/won't work on the metric threads on the Howa/Vanguard...

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go with the Remington.

Send it to Chad Dixon at longrifles inc for the snipershide group buy. Sub 30 day turnaround time and a rocking price.
http://forum.snipershide.com/sniper...remington-m700-accurizing-group-buy.html

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
IC B3

R
robes Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
why the remington george?

R
robes Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
KDk why wouldnt you change the extractor? and my smith will work on either

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by robes
Ive looked at the stiller action but i already have the rem and vanguard so that is why i was asking, truthfully i dont think i can go wrong with either i was kinda looking for opinions if anyone else had this dilemma or if i was missing anything in my thought process as the is my first built gun

Gotcha�

You're right--both would work well. I put a PTG bolt in my Rem 700, also chambered in 30-06, but it's not really worth the money just to have a one-piece bolt. Why'd I do it? Just because I wanted to, really. I also had the 'smith install a 3-position safety for the 700.

I wouldn't worry about the integral lug, either. I would just use whichever one you favor as-is. I would probably use the 700, but that's because I have 10 years with a Rem 700 chambered in 30-06, and she and I are old friends now.

Nice choice on the chambering also. I have a barrel and a reamer out right now getting drilled into another 30-06, my second. It will be my 3rd rifle total. I bought the reamer from PTG also--it's the same reamer German Salazar talks about here, except mine has a .337 neck instead of the SAAMI .340 neck: http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2012/05/cartridges-accuracy-secrets-of-30-06.html

I do ridiculous work with my 30-06�sort brass by neck thickness, turn necks�then I load up 180 grain Partitions. I do get some nice groups out of the Partitions at times, though, including some sub half inch 4-shot groups. But mostly I shoot about .75 inch groups on my good days, and inch and a half groups aren't uncommon. Haven't shot groups from a bench in a while though.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KDk why wouldnt you change the extractor? and my smith will work on either

Smarter guys than me on here point out that the Sako/M16 extractor requires a cut that weakens the "Three Rings of Steel" and a popped primer can do some pretty serious damage to a shooter's face. Dunno if it's really a problem, but I've only had one problem with Remington extractor... a 788 in 7-08, military .308 brass improperly necked down with too-hot loads (not my rifle or loads).

A solution in search of a problem, IOW...

Last edited by KDK; 11/30/13.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
R
robes Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
never heard of that thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
why the remington george?

A remington action is the gold standard for a 'custom' build. Everybody works on em', everybody has parts, and everybody shoots with em'.

Hmm, Army, police forces, etc all build on Remington rifles.

I've heard it straight from the horses mouth, IE world renowned gunsmiths, that you can't shoot the difference between an "Insert remington clone here" and a remington action. Accuracy is not the only measure of performance, but in that degree it's a ghoatfuck

Just look at the fact that companies base their livelihood on copying the Remington 700.

I never seen a dumbass makin' his livin' copyin' a savage (hint)

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also, flame on.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've done both many times over and there was no noticeable difference in accuracy between the two actions. I have no doubt that either will work well, if your gunsmith is good. I would go sako classic on the vanguard and a mountain rifle on the 700.

You can't flute the vanguard bolt.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
And don't worry about have the action tried up. It's a waste of money.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is much, much wisdom on the campfire. Perhaps you should visit the rifle bluepirnts page. Go ahead and tally up how many Remington actions get built up, and how many vanguards.

Go Remington, and thank me later. Then after you build, shoot, and tire of it, sell it and buy a Kimber. Then build another Remington.

Ruthless cycle. Get it started right and GFY

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 1OntarioJim, 53 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,534
Posts18,472,748
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.