Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Sevens Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Pretty much as the title says, for those of you with lightweight "sheep" rifles, what rings and bases are you using and why?

For those of you using systems like the Talley Lightweights, which combine the ring and base into one, do you ever worry about breaking your scope on a hunt and not being able to swap it for a spare? (I've read some accounts of bringing two scopes in Quick detach rings.)

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have Talley light weight rings on my sheep rifle... however, I've not seen a sheep in my neck of the woods in my three score plus years here.

I am quite sure they will work when I do happen up on a sheep in the not too distant future..

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Never hunted sheep but ALL my rifles wear leupold DD's regardless...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bausch & Lamb

laugh

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Weavers. They are light, inexpensive, rugged, and detachable. I can live with the fact that they are also a bit homely. GD

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My sheep rifle has an old discontinued set of weavers with integral bases, like the Talleys,
They are ultralight and strong.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Gentry bases and rings for my 660 Custom. E

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The only times I have bothered to take an extra scope on a hunt was when it was attached and ready to go on a back-up rifle. I don't think you are any more apt to break your scope than you are your rifle, your leg, etc. I would choose the LW Talley 1 pc. I have used a lot of ring-base brands and designs over the years and have never found any that use less of your windage adj. on a scope when the adj. is centered than the Talleys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buehlers. Now all I need is a sheep tag!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You'll break the scope before you break any of the rings. I will never sheep hunt unless I hit it big in a lottery. But I'd use the Talleys if I did.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually if strength were a concern, it would be the Talley Steels for me with the option of the quick release levers.

I don't use the levers but there is that option. I have them on three of my older walnut stocked mountain rifles.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have several rifles that would qualify under the contemporary specs of a "sheep rifle" and have done a couple trips for sheep.

For me, this is backpacking and the two rifles came from the smith, himself an experienced sheep hunter and former guide, with lapped Talley U/Ls.

I don't particularly care for them and so have replaced one set with Talley QD-SLs and will do the other next March when I have cleared some current financial commitments. These, will also be Talley QD-SLs, two sets of rings and two scopes per rifle.

I have owned about every mount one can think of and I now use Talleys on any rifle I have that will accept them. They are, IMO, the best production mounts one can buy and use.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

On this Tikka 6.5x55...as in most of my rifles...I use Burris Signature rings and a turn in rear adjustable 2 pc bases...never had any type of issue at all...one inch or 30mm as in this set up with the Vortex HS-LR 4-16...brought this Utah Desert Ram home 9/28/13..works for me..... wink

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Talley LWs. Don't worry about spares. Most sheep hunts will require some serious backpacking. You will pack food and shelter. There's little left for extra scopes and rings.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
A spare scope, in good rings for your backpacking rifle, is among the best "uses" of weight that you can make on ANY sheep hunting trip, in actual sheep country.

I ALWAYS have a spare scope and a "parts" kit for any rifle I take on trips where only ONE rifle CAN be taken. It is not a "burden" and it may well save your trip from being ruined by an inoperable rifle.

There are always choices to make concerning what you take on any backpacking excursion and, after 61+ years of outdoors activity, much of it hiking/backpacking all over BC, THE "sheep destination" of North America and living alone in wild sheep country for several three month stints, over the past 49 years, again, in all regions of BC and some of Alberta's best RBH country, I would most strongly advise QD mounts and a spare scope.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't have a 'sheep' rifle. But i have a goat rifle, but it has irons sights

Here is my goat with his rifle [Linked Image]

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I doubt it will ever see a sheep hunt but in a few years it will see a goat hunt. My 280.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sevens
for those of you with lightweight "sheep" rifles, what rings and bases are you using

I used Leupold QR's with a back up scope zeroed and ready.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have several serious "medium magnum" working rifles equipped with these mounts and have had them in place since circa 1991. These are CRF, synthetic-stocked .338WMs and the like and they have been often used, HARD, in long wilderness stints, on horses, in aircraft and on backpacks over much of western Canada.

I have never had an issue with one and one set survived a bad pack on a stupid horse by a drunken "packer" who should have been hung with a lead rope.

I like these, not QUITE as much as Talleys and I recommend them, especially for those just getting started and who have little money.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Sevens
Pretty much as the title says, for those of you with lightweight "sheep" rifles, what rings and bases are you using and why?

For those of you using systems like the Talley Lightweights, which combine the ring and base into one, do you ever worry about breaking your scope on a hunt and not being able to swap it for a spare? (I've read some accounts of bringing two scopes in Quick detach rings.)

I hunt sheep more than the average guy on this board I would think, and I've switched to Talley L/W's across the board on all my serious rifles, regardless of intended application.

On a true, serious backpack sheep hunt where you are counting grams, much less ounces or pounds, you simply don't pack fluff. And fluff includes spare scopes, or enough "extra" shells that you could check zero on a second set up. It is MUCH easier to simply not throw your rifle around in the rocks. And if you do get to the point where you've taken a spill hard enough to break a ring, you've likely got bigger problems than simply a cracked ring.

That said, if you are spiking out from a horse camp, and have some spare space, then by all means pack a spare rifle.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 673, 79S, 24 invisible), 965 guests, and 999 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,206
Posts18,524,250
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.