Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
http://www.politico.com/politico44/...sh-will-attend-mandela-179061.html?hp=f2

Former Presidents George W. Bush and Bill Clinton and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will travel to South Africa for Nelson Mandela's memorials next week,while former President George H.W. Bush will be staying home.

The younger Bush and former first lady Laura Bush "gratefully accepted" the invitation of President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama to travel aboard Air Force One, spokesman Freddy Ford said. The trip will be for "memorial services next week," but Ford didn't specify whether that means the Obamas and Bushes will attend a large memorial planned for Dec. 10 in Johannesburg or go to the state funeral set for Dec. 15 in Mandela's hometown, and referred questions to the White House.

Sources confirmed that the Clintons also plan to make the trip, but didn't say whether they will also be traveling on Air Force One.

Ailing former President George H.W. Bush won't be making the trip, spokesman Jim McGrath said.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Maybe Mrs Thatcher was not dark enough.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just another PC dog and pony show

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear

God bless Texas.....

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Obama HAS to go, he wouldn't want to be upstaged by a dead Mandela...........

Without any doubt whatsoever, he'll try to turn it into something about himself.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pathetic.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
This will be about O, that's for sure. Narcissist.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Anyone going to pull out a few necklaces for old times sake? Time and aging does seem to bring out the common sense in people. And I can't really defend apartheid. The question is whether the replacement is workable.

I even agreed with Al Shparpton comments a few weeks ago, but he got over it.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Man, talk about messing up Dec. for the Bushes...

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kennyd
Anyone going to pull out a few necklaces for old times sake? Time and aging does seem to bring out the common sense in people. And I can't really defend apartheid. The question is whether the replacement is workable.

When the choice is apartheid or the terrorist deaths of you and your loved ones and the theft of your family's personal property and wealth, . . . well I know in which direction I would go. Apartheid or total anarchy and lawlessness? That is the real question.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't like apartheid at all, but it does seem apparent that without it the whites/and white-ish in that part of Africa are in dire straits.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All wonderful moderates and commies will be there for PC. The ones who say they aren't going and why need to be honored. The rest of the [bleep] can stay there with Nelson.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hell .... why not .... if the governmnet was paying for it, I would go too.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When Obama arrives in RSA, I hope he follows Afrikaans tradition, and carries the Bush's luggage! grin grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pete E
When Obama arrives in RSA, I hope he follows Afrikaans tradition, and carries the Bush's luggage! grin grin

LMAO laugh

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
None of them went for Margaret Thatcher's funeral.......but then again, she was only a stalwart ally that helped secure the downfall of the Soviet Union......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

When the choice is apartheid or the terrorist deaths of you and your loved ones and the theft of your family's personal property and wealth, . . . well I know in which direction I would go. Apartheid or total anarchy and lawlessness? That is the real question.

[insert sarcasm]Yes, because the terrorist deaths of loved ones and theft of the family's personal property and wealth weren't how the Afrikaans came into power and established apartheid in the first place.[end sarcasm]

I'm hardly a liberal commie (which I'm sure I'll be labeled after this), but I find it very interesting that so many members that call for us not to forget or repeat history in various ways so willfully choose to only remember the parts of history which they like. The future for SA is unclear and unstable for sure, but that doesn't mean a return to the injustice of systems like apartheid are a good idea.

Last edited by selmer; 12/07/13.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by selmer

[insert sarcasm]Yes, because the terrorist deaths of loved ones and theft of the family's personal property and wealth weren't how the Afrikaans came into power and established apartheid in the first place.[end sarcasm]

I'm hardly a liberal commie (which I'm sure I'll be labeled after this), but I find it very interesting that so many members that call for us not to forget or repeat history in various ways so willfully choose to only remember the parts of history which they like. The future for SA is unclear and unstable for sure, but that doesn't mean a return to the injustice of systems like apartheid are a good idea.

Don't cut and paste but tell me the history of RSA, apartheid, and Nelson Mandela. See if you can throw in the dates of when that land was stolen, RSA's economy pre and post 1990, and the just for grins, compare those stolen land dates with the USA. Reading the original intent of apartheid and seeing what happened after 1994 might surprise you as well.

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The logic behind this whole mess reeks of the mindless attempt as dumping your wifes finest perfume into the spetic tank you have uncovered to hide the smell until they are done pumping it.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 12/07/13.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Flfiremedic
Originally Posted by selmer

Don't cut and paste but tell me the history of RSA, apartheid, and Nelson Mandela. See if you can throw in the dates of when that land was stolen, RSA's economy pre and post 1990, and the just for grins, compare those stolen land dates with the USA. Reading the original intent of apartheid and seeing what happened after 1994 might surprise you as well.

I wrote my senior thesis on the history and independence of Namibia, which was influenced by apartheid in RSA. I'm not going to re-write that for you, but yes, the League of Nations, of which the US was a part had a part in condoning the practice. Trying to convince me that returning to apartheid is a good idea or that it should have continued is a lost cause. I've pointed out that atrocities were committed on both sides of the conflict(s), but bashing Mandela in the wake of his death is bad form. I didn't even see this much vitriol when Kim Jung Il died - and I might have joined in on that. Mandela had the power and the numbers to completely take over RSA as a dictator and commit genocide against the Afrikaans in retaliation for 46 years of apartheid - but he didn't. He sought forgiveness and reconciliation and attempted to bring to warring sides to work together for the good of the people of the country. Any Christian worthy of the appellation should appreciate such an act of repentance.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Well you still glossed over things, and in regards to bad form, the attempted deification of a terrorist that supported the interests of our enemies is bad form as well.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Thankfully this is the US and 2013, so disagreeing with you won't cause me be subjected to one of those infamous neckties Madiba and his wife were so fond of.
Congrats on your thesis.

Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We shall agree to disagree. I'm fine with that. I am frankly a bit confused as too the deification/media worship we've had this week. Yes - he was a leader in his country that led a revolution of sorts, but in my book he's not in the ranks of MLK or Ghandi - actual non-violent revolutionaries. And I just can't wait to see how Obama will make Mandela's funeral all about Obama...he needs to hire an adviser that can tell him when to keep his mouth shut.

Last edited by selmer; 12/07/13.

Selmer

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well you still glossed over things, and in regards to bad form, the attempted deification of a terrorist that supported the interests of our enemies is bad form as well.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Thankfully this is the US and 2013, so disagreeing with you won't cause me be subjected to one of those infamous neckties Madiba and his wife were so fond of.
Congrats on your thesis.

I'm gonna hafta disagree with Selmer too. I was there during Namibia's struggle for independence, and Mandela's ANC lads tried to kill me and a schittload of other whites in the business district of Windhoek with a car bomb.

I only wish I could make his funeral so I could piss on his grave�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Confusion about Obama is something we can agree on. As far as the deification, if you look back to the 80s: Steve Biko, Nelson Mandela, and the anti-apartheid movement achieved a cult like status in Hollywood. In the first Lethal Weapon, there is an anti-apartheid magnet on Danny Glover's refrigerator, and of course the second one featured evil Afrikaners, complete with bad accents. I think it was a follow on to free Tibet.

Last edited by Flfiremedic; 12/07/13.

Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Confusion about Obama is something we can agree on. As far as the deification, if you look back to the 80s: Steve Biko, Nelson Mandela, and the anti-apartheid movement achieved a cult like status in Hollywood. In the first Lethal Weapon, there is an anti-apartheid magnet on Danny Glover's refrigerator, and of course the second one featured evil Afrikaners, complete with bad accents. I think it was a follow on to free Tibet.

ingwe - you know I have respect for you and your exploits. And I'll say this. If someone tried to blow me up with a car bomb, then I'd likely feel the same. You have reason. Peace be with you

Selmer

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah�I kinda take it personally when someone tries to kill me�.

I dodged two more of his boy's bombs by listening to the little voice in my head�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pete E

I would urge W to pass on this if he would listen, but he will not.

Would prefer that Pep Boys service A1 prior to departure and RSA provide the flight crew.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would urge W to pass on this if he would listen, but he will not.

I think he has the money and if I was him, I would take my own plane. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (264mag, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2five7, 66 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,076
Posts18,521,761
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.