-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
atv- most of these guys are talking about 'real' coal! That coal from Healy is only about a month older than downed wood!

I burned wood and coal when I lived in Fbx. The coal had a lot of conveniences and held a fire longer, IMO. I bought a Riteway wood/coal burner with an ash drawer and shaker grate. It's thermostatic and firebrick-lined.

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Czech_Made
I buy it locally by 50# bag for my forge.

I pay $9.50 per bag here.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by plainsman456
When i was real young we would go and walk the railroad tracks and pick-up lumps that fell off of the coal car.

Try to let kids do that today,one would be put under the jail.

Lots of fun times when i was growing up.Miss some of them.

I remember the same and my father dumping the buckets from the back of our Hudson onto a homemade screen.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I burn anthercite or hard coal in the shop. I go right to the breaker and pickup 4 to 5 ton at a time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by Czech_Made
I buy it locally by 50# bag for my forge.

I pay $9.50 per bag here.

Something like that, I don't recall exact amount now.

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mostly wood but when we cold get coal cheap it went in as well. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have a Hitzer wood and coal burner on the main floor. Use coal about 30% of the time. It runs about $60/ton for lump coal here, or it did last winter. Haven't bought any yet this year.

Good clean, long burning fires for us. The only complaint we have is that the coal fires sometimes overheat the place. That's why we only burn it part of the time.

Stush
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My grand dad'shouse was in Foyil Ok, right in the middle of the Oklahoma strip mining. He had a big black pot belled coal burner in the living room. I remember the big pile of coal out back and the galvanized bucket and scoop shovel he used to bring it in the house.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Oklahoma Coal Production

Commercial coal mining began in Oklahoma in 1873 with the removal of bituminous coal from underground mines in eastern Oklahoma. Surface mining began in 1915. Like the oil and gas industries, the coal industry has experienced production cycles. Since 1969, the Oklahoma coal industry has had as few as eight active mines and as many as sixty. Oklahoma coal production has declined from its peak of 5.73 million tons in 1981, to a low of 979 thousand tons in 2010. The Oklahoma Department of Mines recorded approximately 1.4 million tons of bituminous coal produced from 9 mines in seven counties for the year 2010. Until recent years, the major consumption of Oklahoma coal had been by out-of-state utilities. Major in-state use of Oklahoma coal has been by the cement and lime industry, and utilities.

There is potential for Oklahoma's coal resources to provide a basis for economic growth; only the apex of coal resources has been exploited. Large bituminous and metallurgical deposits remain to be produced, but will require large capital investments by sophisticated mining companies. Production and market issues affect whether or not some coal reserves are economical to mine. Regulations concerning mining and reclamation requirements also play a role in limiting coal production. Future production will hinge on development of additional markets for high sulfur coal and the increased use and development of clean coal technology at coal fired utilities, both within the state and in the surrounding area.

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The times Saddlesore is talking about are what is known as "the good old days."

Yea, I have lots of memories from those days also. No way could a house be kept clean on the inside while burning coal. And the odor is something you don't soon forget. Ties right in with the kerosene (coal oil) lamps of that time.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stush
We have a Hitzer wood and coal burner on the main floor. Use coal about 30% of the time. It runs about $60/ton for lump coal here, or it did last winter. Haven't bought any yet this year.

Good clean, long burning fires for us. The only complaint we have is that the coal fires sometimes overheat the place. That's why we only burn it part of the time.

Grandparents farm house was heated by a huge coal furnace located in the basements and it looked like an octopus with the heat pipes radiating out from it.

The furnace draft control was located in the parlor and one day as a young lad I decided to play with it. Grandma heard the pipes creaking and found the control setting for a wide open draft. Got a spanking out of that.

When they tore the old farmhouse down I rescued the draft control. Brings back a lot of memories.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have enjoyed reading this thread. I can remember folks (wanna be high brow types) disparagingly talking about one fellow of modest means "still burning coal", even then at a young age I realized they were shiiitttheels talking like that. The fellow was a veteran and was a kind person that most never bothered to get to know. I consider my self fortunate to have spent tim with him.

Funny, that he eventually switched to an oil burner as it was more cost effective for him at the time, they switched litanies from coal to oil as Nat gas was in the 'hood (I love saying that it makes me feel gangsta, even tho I am an extremely white bread lass) at the time and the "elitist" (wish they were so lucky to be middle class) loved to grind on that fellow that lived alone (his wife died). [bleep], some of the neighbors were and In their scorn I'd be happy to burn coal to their horror.

Thanks for the thread...

Be safe
Patty

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For those that burn coal, how do you start your coal fire?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by carbon12
For those that burn coal, how do you start your coal fire?

Usually with kindling wood, we used corncobs also. Then add coal to top, smaller pieces at first then bigger.

Here is my father in a coal mine in 1940, before I was born in 43. He is 2nd from left, on the bottom row. He was 26 at the time. He passed away at age 96.

[Linked Image]

When I was in7th grade, I attended a one room class room that was set aside from the elementary school. This was while waiting for a new junior high to get finished. Since a neighbor and I lived close to the school within walking distance, our job was to get there about an hour ahead of class time and start the pot belly stove burning coal. It was a fairly good size that heated the big class room of about 35 students. Of course those close to the stove were always warm and the ones in back not so much. The city kids got to sit close, us from the country in back because if our clothes got real warm ,they usually smelled quite a bit like cow. After hunkering down against a cow's flank milking, you never got the smell off. Of course we were use to it and never could understand what they complained about.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/12/13.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Start with a wood fire and when that gets hot slowly start adding coal. Once a coal fire is going I could toss a scuttle of coal on top.

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My mom had a gas torch connected to the gas grid. We used the gas grid for cooking and hot water and this torch was used to start the coal burn in the stove in the kitchen and from there you would carry hot coal into other stoves in kid's room and living room.

But I grew up down town Prague and on the wrong side of the wall - life was different than.

Also the typical coal was coal dust glued and pressed into brikett. Looked like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Rekord_Brikett.jpg

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore
We heated with coal until the late 50's .Everyone had a coal door and a coal bin that you stored the coal in next to the furnace.
In the late 40's my father and two uncles had a little private coal mine. They would go in and pick ax the coal out and us boys would drag it out in burlap sacks to the vehicle. We did not have any pick up trucks in those days and it went in the trunk.

We had only soft coal and this mine was a 2 ft seam although there were a lot of commercial mines that had 4 ft seams.

In the 50's strip mines came into vogue and many farmers sold the coal rights to companies and got free coal to boot. That coal was lot dirtier and we usually had to bust it up with a sledge hammer.

A little side story. My father came over from Italy when he was 5. At 9, he had his first job in coal mine, picking up coal that fell of the carts pulled by ponies. He made 3 cents a day and my grandfather made 9 cents a day and that is what a family of 6 lived on.
My father worked his way up to driving the pony teams that once they went underground, never came out. He got fired from that when the team got away from him and they ran away, eventually running into the air fan and got killed.

So he got a job in another mine and worked his way up to a shooter. ( dynamite)

After getting trapped three times in cave ins, he vowed to never go back into a mine again and forbid us boys to.

After rough couple of years, he got a job in a spring and axle company and then for US Steel in a rolling mill as an apprentice machinist. He worked his way up to a journeyman machinist, teaching himself the necessary math involved. All this and he only had a 5th grade education.

He related many stories to me right before he passed. One was that when first married they rented small room for $12 a month. The cockroaches were so bad they set the legs of the bed in cans filled with coal oil to keep the cockroaches from crawling in be with them.

Another was they coal company ran a small train to and from the nearest town. My dad lived in a coal company house and the train took them to town on Saturday night and brought them back on Sunday. They worked 6 days a week

Saddlesore- Thanks for the story. This story SCREAMS southwestern PA. Is this, in fact where these things happened?

I grew up in a area where coal was once king. I remember camping out in the middle of the winter in old coke ovens smoking stolen cigerettes from someones dad. There were still a ton of old houses that had coal furnaces.

The smell of a coal fire is something very distinguishable. Just 2 nights ago i left work with a couple guys and could smell coal burning. Its been VERY cold here and i guess the local's have decided to fire up the coal stoves. After the past 5 years in New Mexico i INSTANTLY knew what that sulferish smell was on the walk to my buddys car.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My parents used it as a supplement heat source. Heats good but it creates a little dust.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Wow - just when I thought I could shake the memories, here comes this thread. sick

I've no doubt our home was the last in the county, by decades, to be heated with coal. It's not like there were all that many to begin with in the plains of Northcentral Indiana. Great Grandpa was rumored to be terrified of fire, having lost 2 granaries and a barn over the years. So he built the garage about 75 yards away from the house, stuck a behemoth of a coal furnace in its basement, & had pipes run under the driveway and sidewalk to the house, where 5 electric pumps sent the water to the radiators in the various parts of the house.

Since I was the most reliable worker of the 3 boys in the family, despite being the youngest, I was "selected" around 7th grade to tend the furnace. I got to fill at 1+ cubic yard hopper before school and before bed, which fed the furnace through an auger. Usually, this took me 10 to 15 minutes to complete a nice heap on top of the hopper. I remember a few spells of -20 degree weather though, where the hopper would be empty when I'd arrive for my duties. These days would take every bit of 45 minutes to reconstitute the hopper, one shovel full at a time.

Of course, when the shear pins would break on the auger drive (all too damned frequently mad), I got to unshovel that hopper, so the repairs could be made. After topping off the hopper, I'd remove the clinkers into metal buckets, and restoke the fire by bringing all the dust & debris back into a tidy pile over the fire box. On my way back upstairs, I'd carry the metal buckets & dump the cinders out on the gravel driveway.

I soon learned that if I felt cold in the night, I'd better go check the fuses for the circulating pumps, then head out to the garage to see what was up out there. Either I'd forgotten to shovel the hopper full, or the auger pin broke (again mad).

About quarterly, I'd have to clean the ash out of the furnace's baffles. An awful job, that. It didn't take too terribly long, but I'd come back looking like a minstrel, with several times more black dust in my snot than usual.

Before the cold weather hit, and at least once during the winter, we'd have to restock the coal room. This was a concrete walled portion of the garage basement, with a door-sized opening facing the furnace. After stacking 2 bricks on the inside edge of the opening, we'd stack a series of boards across the opening as the room was filled with coal. Filling was accomplished via a manhole in the first floor of the garage, directly above the room. We'd use a bucket tractor to fill the single axle silage truck 'til the tire would squat, then dump it on the first floor of the garage. With the dexterity of a surgeon, my Dad could get the truck into the car-sized garage door, and then raise the dump bed until it almost touched the ceiling. My brothers, sisters, and I would then use all manner of ill-suited tools and implements to get the coal out of the truck, and shoved down the hole into the coal room. More minstrel work, to be sure: Al Jolson had nothin' on me!

For the honor of this work, I recall that I started out at $10/week, though I did eventually get up to $15/week by the time I left for college. Is it any wonder I became a Boilermaker?. I believe they lasted 2 years or so after my departure, before they made the switch to propane. Dad said the cost to heat the house quadrupled.

OK - memories purged, rant over. I think I'll go make an appointment with the therapist. And I'll say some more prayers of gratitude for my swank gas furnace. blush

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
jmgraham1986 I was born and raised in SW PA. Actually born in a little burg called New Eagle, which was right next to the town of Monongahela about 30 mile south of Pittsburgh. Funny. times were hard when I was born and I was born at home, 1 block from the hospital.

Ironic that we were forbid to get a job in the mines, but when I left home and moved to NM,I got a job with Sandia Labs for ten years,then a little company in Colorado Springs called Kaman Sciences for 30 years almost. I spent from 1969 thru 1992 working about 3 months out of every year underground doing nuke test. Should have heeded my father's warning as my lungs didn't fare well with that. FC said we brought up old memories. Sure wish I could flush a bunch from what I did.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/12/13.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (219 Wasp, 22kHornet, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 46 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,763
Posts18,515,266
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.