Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I'm now 6 for 6 with the rage turkey broadhead. None have traveled more then 30 feet, and that was only 2 of them. They went about 25 yards.

The 2"-3" long vertical slice going in and out is instantly debilitating. I'm not a mechanical Broadhead guy for big game. However for turkeys they are the best game in town.

I think I know why they have worked every time with such great results. This includes not just my last 6, but another 8 or 9 for the friends who I have hunted with also using them. The resolution is growing, we are well over a dozen with identical results on all of them.

Here is my thought. First a little anatomy education. The absolute perfect shot placement on a turkey is at the top front of the drumstick. Hit there with any broadhead and the game is over. However miss that low or back and the bird will run or fly out of sight. I've seen quite a few do this.

The next part of this is the thick wing quills in the feathers over this spot. These quills cause the forward deployment of the blades to open and work like magic. Every turkey shot as a 2-3" entry slice going in and out. This slice opens up everything inside and shuts them down in 10-30 seconds. I've shot doubles because the first walking down the trail is stone dead before the middle of the group walks in front of me. The silent death from above is unknown by the back of the pack as they are coming past my stand.

The deployment of the blades has been 100% on every bird, entry and exit. I've tried a number of various heads, but nothing is as accurate, or lethal as these. Place it at the top front edge of the drumstick and it slices through every life support system that bird has. I have photo's of the entry and exit with a ruler next to the slice. They are quite gruesome. I will text them to you if you want to PM me a cell number.

[Linked Image]

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
JJ - are you shooting from a blind or a stand? Nice bird!

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/09/13.
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Elevated stand

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice! That's a whole lot of turkeys in a short amount of time. Congrats! I have a hard enough time getting them with a shotgun...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice thanks for the report!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Alright. Great insight and analysis, too. I never did well years ago when turkeys came around and I was sitting up in a live oak (leaves on all year) primarily for deer. It seems they would pick up on the color of the fletching. In Texas, they watch well for danger from above in the form of hawks and great horned owls.

Last edited by eyeball; 12/12/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The key is shooting them after they are past you, or when they are pecking in the dirt and leaves.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You got to try the Grave Digger COC. Not only on turkeys but on bigger game as well. Best of both worlds....1" COC tip and 1.5" mech cut. They are nasty and fly great. www.nolimitarchery.com. Try em. If you dont like em, Ill give you your money back. $39.99 for 3 from no limit's website

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JJHACK
The key is shooting them after they are past you, or when they are pecking in the dirt and leaves.

If they are strutting in the spring and have the fan up and ass pointed your way you can draw your bow and be ok.

I do remember a couple of instances where if I didn't move, while up a tree in the fall, as they fed by they didnt pick me out if I had white and chartreuse fletching.

No doubt you are the turkey killing king, JJ.

Last edited by eyeball; 12/12/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ha ha ha, that's funny!

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
JJ, it sure would be nice to see some pics of your hunting area, setup, stand, etc. thanks, eye

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll see what I can do, I have some photos of the stands from the bear hunting seasons, same location just different time of year. Minimal foliage this time of year.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

450 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,011 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,088
Posts18,521,967
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.