Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
http://www.lathropandsons.com/cevedale-tech-light-hunter-gtx-lowa.html

Good bit of discussion on this boot over at Rokslide. Wanted to bring up a thread here to see if anyone has something to share.

Looking for a new boot for next season. Went to REI to try on some Lowa boots, and it looks like I will be a 12. Usually wear an 11.5, but could feel the very tips of a few toes touching the end. Going up a half size in Lowa's seems to be the norm.

Input on this boot or the Lowa brand in general?

If REI had these in a 12, I'd buy these at the discount instead. Don't imagine there is much of a difference, but not in my size...

http://www.rei.com/product/866338/lowa-cevedale-gtx-mountaineering-boots-mens-2012-closeout

GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[url=http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lowa-cevedale-gore-tex-mountaineering-boots-waterproof-for-men~p~2234g/?filterString=mens-boots~d~137%2FLowa~b~12795%2F&colorFamily=01#][/url]

Sierra trading post... promocode SITEROCK1213 and you can get them for about 220 free shipping... only have bright blue or lime green in your size.

Don't know why I can't get a link to work.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I have two pairs of Lowas, one older mid hiking I can't remember the model name, banff or something like that missing vowels... and a 10in desert style boot that I wear mostly now. They work fine for my hunting in rough Az.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's the intended purpose for the boot?

It's going to be stiffer than heck.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
What's the intended purpose for the boot?

It's going to be stiffer than heck.

I have a pair....and they are still much like the Lowa Sheephunter GTX I like. Personally I only wear boots for actual hunting in the mountains. I run Salomon Speedcrosses for my summer and early fall escapades.

I have a pair of the Lowa Tech Hunters and so far they are a great boot, but I only have less than 10 miles on 'em at this point so time will tell. I knew my feet liked the Lowa Sheephunters or Hunter GTXs so thought I'd try to save some weight there.

Brad,

They are stiff but I find I prefer a boot that is fairly rigid for my mountain hunts atleast. Probably not for everyone.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rigid boots tear my feet up, but everyone's different. You just have to know your feet. For mostly vertical with crampon's they'd work for my feet. Mountain hunting, no way.

But my feet don't tolerate the Lowa Sheephunters.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rigid boots tear my feet up, but everyone's different. You just have to know your feet. For mostly vertical with crampon's they'd work for my feet. Mountain hunting, no way.

But my feet don't tolerate the Lowa Sheephunters.

Yep, like I said won't work for everyone and if Lowa Sheephunters don't agree with your feet these Tech Hunters likely won't either IMO as they both fit me like a glove. laugh

Like ya said, all about knowing what works for you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just picked on a pair of Lowa Baltoro's on closeout... I wanted a non-goretex boot with a leather liner for summer backpacking, and the Baltoro's fit the bill, besides getting them for nearly 60% off ($113) at REI. They're a nice soft boot for these feet.

My feet are my Achilles heel (pun intended)... I just can't do most boots so it makes it pretty tough to find boots. Then, of course if I find something that works, it's sure to be discontinued. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the looks of that L&S offering! Might have to go that route for my next pair. Those or some Hanwags are probably in my future. Thanks for the heads up!

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Good discussion here.

My use for these are mountain hunting. I believe I need a stiffer boot than what I used this past year. I had problems with my foot rolling and not being supported enough on side hills. Down and up were ok. Going to try this stiffer boot and see what I think.

Was able to use a Sierra Trading Post code to get them down to $167.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't have this boot but have two other Lowa's and have been extremely impressed with them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pointer
I like the looks of that L&S offering! Might have to go that route for my next pair. Those or some Hanwags are probably in my future. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm wondering why no one has mentioned these boots on the forum this year... if I didn't have my Crispi's Hunters I'd be trying these before all the stiff offerings from the likes of Lowa, Hanwag, etc.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Perfekt-Extreme-400-Gram-Hunting-Boots-by-Meindl/1632151.uts

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Good discussion here.

My use for these are mountain hunting. I believe I need a stiffer boot than what I used this past year. I had problems with my foot rolling and not being supported enough on side hills. Down and up were ok. Going to try this stiffer boot and see what I think.

Was able to use a Sierra Trading Post code to get them down to $167.

At that price you could unload them if they don't work. I certainly get wanting more ankle support, but that doesn't necessarily mean a substantially stiffer boot... too stiff can create as many problems as not stiff enough.

All boots take a lot of experimentation and no one can tell you what will work for your feet... just give general ideas.

Good luck!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found those 400 gram Perfekts too high for me. That, and Meindls fit my heels really poorly.

I'm breaking in a pair of Lowa Tibet GTXs and really like them so far.

Tanner

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tanner
I found those 400 gram Perfekts too high for me. That, and Meindls fit my heels really poorly.

I'm breaking in a pair of Lowa Tibet GTXs and really like them so far.

Tanner

You make my point... boots are so individual it's impossible to make specific recommendations, but rather just share the general info that works for your feet, with the idea that info may not apply to the other... or might!

Picking boots for someone is like picking a wife for someone... they're that individual! laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer

I'm wondering why no one has mentioned these boots on the forum this year... if I didn't have my Crispi's Hunters I'd be trying these before all the stiff offerings from the likes of Lowa, Hanwag, etc.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Perfekt-Extreme-400-Gram-Hunting-Boots-by-Meindl/1632151.uts
I like the looks of those as well, but don't like 'em insulated. I've gotten by with uninsulated boots to this point, but I don't hunt the colder/later seasons you guys in MT do. In that case I might be convinced. Best boots I've had yet were a pair of Meindl Island Pro's I got from L&S. Wish they still carried them...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, insulation isn't wanted or needed by many. I forget that!

Well, our Card's didn't do too well. The better team won for sure, and there's always next year laugh

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Love my Lowa Tibet GTX's also. Breaking in a pair of sheephunters which have 400 grams of insulation for the white stuff. And Renigade GTX's for going light.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a pair of Lowa Renegades LL that I wear daily. They've been a great boot for hunting Texas and Africa.

I'm looking at some Zamberlans for hunting New Zealand and also hunting elk out west.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, insulation isn't wanted or needed by many. I forget that!

Well, our Card's didn't do too well. The better team won for sure, and there's always next year laugh
Yeah, it was a bittersweet WS that's for sure. That said, I do like the moves they've made this off season. Peralta was a surprise, but as long as he stays off the PEDs and hits like he's capable it's quite and upgrade in the lineup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 70 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,447
Posts18,470,977
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.