Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Soft7 Online Content OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
S
We left Wisconsin on Dec 10th. The hunt started on the 12th but we had a long drive. The hunt was on a private ranch in north central New Mexico. I left with 3 other guys and we all had ranch tags for cows only.

This was the first time I have been elk hunting so I did not know what to expect. We stayed on the ranch in campers. I knew the weather could turn on a dime so I packed my good old Wisconsin ice fishing gear along with my bow hunting clothes. I brought my Tikka 300 WSM for my gun of choice.

Upon our arrival we saw elk on the way in to the ranch along with many mule deer.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The first day of the hunt was about 20 degrees and the sky was clear. I knew the day before the animals seemed to be on the moved. Perhaps the cold weather earlier in the week brought them down from the mountains into the meadows.

This is a picture from the 1st day of the hunt. We had to be patient as we had a lot of bulls, spikes, and club elk. The best thing I did before the trip was I bought a pair of Swarovski EL 8 x 32 binos. These binos are unreal!! Light and clear as a bell. I had to fight the other 3 guys from trying to take them from me. The $500 binos they bought will probably be posted for sale soon.

Back to the story. I saw over 100 elk opening day. I was so excited to see such a majestic animal in its element. We had a good chance to see what was big and what was BIGGER. All elk are huge compared to the whitetails I am use to seeing around Wisconsin. We each shot an elk opening day. We had our tags filled 1 hour and 20 minutes into the hunt. Here is a nice cow that was shot.

[img]http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s346/baker53555/photo2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s346/baker53555/photo5.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s346/baker53555/Elk%20Hunting/DSC_0327.jpg[/img]

It was probably a good thing that we all got on the 1st day. The next day we woke up to 8" of snow. The weather forecast that night it was a 0% chance of snow. The weather man was wrong!

[img]http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s346/baker53555/photo8.jpg[/img]

In conclusion, for those that are going out west for a hunt, I have some advice. Prepare for all types of weather. Optics are important. Elk are big but good optics out west are essential. Also, make sure you can shoot your gun 300 yards.

I hope you enjoyed.

Thanks,
Robert

Last edited by bakersboas; 12/22/13.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
congrats

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Great hunt and pics. Does the rancher host mule deer hunts and are there any big deer, or do you know? Thanks, eye

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrats.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice, thanks for sharing the story. What unit were you in? A buddy of mine has been on some ranch hunts east of Raton and I've hunted turkey there. Saw some nice elk and beautiful country.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Congratulations on a great hunt!

Public landowner...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For those who are planning to come west to hunt elk for the first time on public land.

It's not as easy as this hunt.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
For those who are planning to come west to hunt elk for the first time on public land.

Maybe it's just difficult for a tool like you....save your negative comments for your own meaningless threads.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Looks like gorgeous country, and a pile of good meat, thanks for the photos.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice. Hard to beat that!

Regards,

Tom
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Maybe it's just difficult for a tool like you....save your negative comments for your own meaningless threads.

Nothing negative about it. Just some advice to those new to elk hunting. They'd be disappointed if they expect to come here and get an elk in an hour.

The only useless post in this thread is yours assclown.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mauser's post went to public land hunting and is spot on.

The NM private ranch hunts are a completely different animal. Been on several and agree with the OP's thoughts. Nothing better than having a ranch all to yourself with lots of critters around for company.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Nice elk and glad the OP had a great experience but Mauser's comment is spot on whereas yours is tasteless and crass.

Hunting elk on a private ranch is totally different to hunting public land here. The ranchers know exactly where to take you and you WILL tag out quickly. I went along with my buddy a few years ago on a private land cow hunt and exactly 11 minutes after leaving the ranch house he dumped his cow's nose in the dirt.

Conversely, on my own and with my buddy, we have hunted hard for many days thru different seasons, trying to get to grips with cow elk on public land. There is a VAST difference between the two experiences and Mauser was merely trying to illuminate and educate others and even the OP, not to expect to replicate the same experience on public land.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I understand where SS is coming from. This is not a thread about elk hunting for newbies and what to expect, it' an account of a successful hunt by this individual, who is obviously proud of his accomplishment. No need to rain on his parade.

PS, I doubt the tutorial is news to SS.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I wasn't raining on his parade. I simple followed up on his advice to those coming to hunt the west at the end of his post.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Congrats on the cows bakersboas, a lot of fine eating to be done on those. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Razz
Nice, thanks for sharing the story. What unit were you in? A buddy of mine has been on some ranch hunts east of Raton and I've hunted turkey there. Saw some nice elk and beautiful country.

Certainly is! I lived/worked at Capulin Volcano for a season a few years ago. One problem for public land hunters is there is some confusion over which backroads are public and which aren't. I myself tried to travel south from Capulin to explore only to find no trespassing signs when the roads entered private lands.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
I understand where SS is coming from. This is not a thread about elk hunting for newbies and what to expect, it' an account of a successful huny by this individual, who is obviously proud of his accomplishment. No need to rain on his parade.

PS, I doubt the tutorial is news to SS.

^^This^^

Congrats again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The best investment I've bought is a GPS and a chip of the nm state lands

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I wasn't raining on his parade. I simple followed up on his advice to those coming to hunt the west at the end of his post.

Do you really think it was necessary to point out that a hunt where all four guys tag out in the first 80 minutes was atypical?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 160user, 06hunter59, 12savage, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,642
Posts18,512,331
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.