OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L

GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Looks like I will be ordering the Sky 5100.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Very impressive!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it is interesting they went from a full wrap to a 3 piece style waistbelt. I mean I prefer a 3 piece with a lumbar pad myself, but seems many on here don't so maybe this is a step in the wrong direction? That and the power pull waistbelt do make them more attractive all the time. IMO though its certainly looks to be an improvement. Would love to try this new model!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Looks good.

I think it tells me something about my gear when I no longer want to go buy the lattest and greatest. Happy with my paradox.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Looks good.

I think it tells me something about my gear when I no longer want to go buy the lattest and greatest. Happy with my paradox.

I feel the same way, but about my Kifaru Bikini with the highcamp bag. But everyone has different preferences and uses. I have no doubt I would be happy with anything from the top tier pack makers, but my preference is Kifaru at this point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Looks good.

Paradox IS the latest and greatest!

My G2 Longhunter works fine by me wink

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Can't argue about paradox being new. Guess what I mean- I don't desire to try anything else. It fits all my needs.

S
S
Alaska Lanche, the three piece belt is an option for those who prefer more lumbar pressure as the lumbar pad is adjustable. The current one piece belt will still be standard on all packs. There were no major changes to existing frame or packs, just additional options.
Thanks
Kurt

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Kurt...thats awesome that both options are available. Well done sir!! That was really my only complaint about the Stone Glacier compared to my Kifaru was the waist belt didn't work for me as well. This certainly levels the playing field! Is the power pull also available on both waistbelt types?

IC B3

S
S
Yes, the front attachment system is identical on both belts and both power pull compatible. This system also allows the user to vary how much pressure pulls from the front of the belt or directly from the frame via the 2" webbing, which adjusts the amount of pressure to the center line of the belt. Thanks for the compliment on the design.
Kurt

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Even better!!! Options are a great thing. Thanks for explaining it I'm sure you guys will or atleast you should sell a pile of those things!!! Great job!

L
llama2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
IMO- Stone Glacier builds excellent well thought out products. By a fella that knows what he is doing and has been where we have been in the field. OK- he has been to cooler places than I have been. ;^)

On top of that- Kurt is a nice guy to deal with and CS is top notch. Pretty amazing to come out of the gate with a new pack line, and in less than a couple years compete with the heavy weights in the hunting pack market. Except, that his are lightweights. : )

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A non-wraparound belt with lumbar is a fantastic addition to these meat haulers... good job!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
A non-wraparound belt with lumbar is a fantastic addition to these meat haulers... good job!

I agree 100%

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by stoneriver
Alaska Lanche, the three piece belt is an option for those who prefer more lumbar pressure as the lumbar pad is adjustable. The current one piece belt will still be standard on all packs. There were no major changes to existing frame or packs, just additional options.
Thanks
Kurt

Kurt,

If I were to buy a Solo now, can I choose which belt I want, or it will come with the one piece belt and I would need to buy the three piece belt as an add on option?
I have the same question about the Power Pull System. Is it a standard feature of the new models or it need to be ordered separately?
And the same question applies to the movable-to-the-front load shelve... Standard feature in the new models or it has to be ordered separately.

Regarding the differences between both belts, the one pice and the three piece, which one would be better for what?

Thank you for your comments.

Alvaro

S
S
Alvaro,
Once the new 3 piece belts arrive mid-January, you will have the option to purchase any complete pack design (including the Solo) with either the 1 piece belt or 3 piece belt. The 3 piece will be a $15 dollar upgrade from the standard 1 piece when purchasing pack and frame. The power pulls will be an accessory as well as not every customer prefers the option, they will be $5 for a set. The load shelf can be moved to front for a compression panel and is a standard feature on all frames and included when purchasing any bag with frame.
The primary difference between the 1 piece full wrap belt and the 3 piece belt is the removable lumbar pad on the 3 piece. This allow the user to vary the thickness and pressure from the pad to the lower lumbar. The foam is removable and can be trimmed or moved vertically to create a roll in the pad and adjust to lumbar curvature. Choosing between the two designs really comes down to personal preference and past experience. For example, I have fairly flat lower lumbar and do not do well with an aggressive lumbar pad, therefore I prefer the 1 piece. However, you can remove the extra layer of foam in 3 piece lumbar to make it the same thickness as the 1 piece. The 3 piece belt does give more options for customization. The 3 piece belt is 1.5 ounces heavier than the 1 piece.
Thanks for your questions and let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
Happy Holidays,
Kurt

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
All questions answered, Kurt, thanks a lot!

I have never felt the need for an extra lumar support, so I guess I will be better with the one piece belt.

I am not sure I will finally be able to attend SCI's Las Vegas, but if I do it would be an excellent opportunity to test both. Will it be possible to purchase one there, or you will just be there to exhibit?

And Happy Holidays to you too!

Alvaro

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm really considering a sky 7400 but to be honest the access zipper scares me.I'm sure it would be fine for awhile but after a few years of heavy use I'm afraid it would blow out. Of course it would happen when you're miles and/or days from the strip.Seems like every one of my favorite jackets over the years has had to have a zipper replaced. I know that there not as heavy duty zippers as would be on the pack but they also aren't put under near the stress as the bottom portion of a 7400 ci pack.

Don't get me wrong I think this is a well designed pack and the first large volume pack that has me considering giving up the old Barney's Pinnacle (except for moose!).It would be perfect for sheep hunts and then be able to convert it to a smaller pack for the quick one to three day blacktail hunts here locally.

I'm not bashing the bag just trying to get Kurt to talk me into it!

S
S
TrapperJ,
No problem, I understand your concerns regarding zippers, I too have had equipment failures deep in the field and understand the consequences of a poor or untested design. The zipper we use is YKK #10 water resistant zipper with a crosswise breaking strength of 308 pounds as listed and tested per ASTM-D-2061. This zipper and size has been a standard in the USA made pack market for military/berry compliant packs and products and has a long positive performance history in the field. Many of these applications are on large volume, load carrying bag designs (primarily as a sleeping bag access zipper which bears more load per zipper inch than my vertical design.) While the strength of the #10 zipper is more than adequate for our design, the two front compression straps actually support a majority of the stress once tightened. I have been very thorough and meticulous in material selections and design, I can assure you the front zipper is not a weak link in the regards to strength or durability even under heavy load.
Thanks for your comments and let me know if there are any other questions I can help with. Merry Christmas!
Kurt

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (22250rem, 1minute, 2500HD, 204guy, 17CalFan, 222ND, 62 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,938
Posts18,480,042
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.