Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
After using 2 6.5x55's I've become "enchanted" with 6.5's and now looking to acquire a 6.5 Creedmoor . Looks like my options in this area are a Ruger Hawkeye or a Savage Weather Warrior. Would love some options on the caliber and the 2 rifle options from you guys.

Merry Christmas to all!

HR IC

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Depends on what you want to spend. Cooper will make you an all stainless 54 Excalibur in 6.5 Creedmoor as well.

For that money you could build on a 700 and have everything exactly like you want.

If buying over the counter, I'd go with the stainless Hawkeye.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
ITD will turn in most any short action rifle to 6.5CM for around $400 and you get to pick the contour/balance and barrel length.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any reason not to consider the 260 rem? Not really much difference between the two cartridges, and 260 would give a few more options.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have two 6.5 Creedmoors, A Browning Long Range Hunter and a Ruger Hawkeye SS, both shoot very good.

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My first choice would be the Ruger Predator Rifle in 6.5 Creed. It comes with a heavier contour barrel and, most important, Ruger's excellent, fully adjustable, target rifle trigger. E

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Any recoil difference between the Creedmore and the .260? Thinking of a rifle for my now 11 year old daughter. How about the Savage Lady Hunter?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
For my purpose (deer &antelope hunting, I want at least a 22" barrel. If I went with a Ruger I'd end up cutting the barrel to 22.5 or 23". I'm leaning towards the Savage in Model 16 Weather Warrior. If I don't like the stock could go to a Boyd's laminate without spending a lot of extra dollars. I've never owned a Savage. Read some about feeding problems but that seemed to be from a standard magazine, not the DBM. Want the best option for accuracy out of the box and good reliability. Would really appreciate Savage owners speaking up here.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I have had a Stevens 200 .25-06 and a Savage 11 .243 that are both ugly as sin but shoot just about anything you want to put in them under an inch

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 7mm08fan
For my purpose (deer &antelope hunting, I want at least a 22" barrel. If I went with a Ruger I'd end up cutting the barrel to 22.5 or 23". I'm leaning towards the Savage in Model 16 Weather Warrior. If I don't like the stock could go to a Boyd's laminate without spending a lot of extra dollars. I've never owned a Savage. Read some about feeding problems but that seemed to be from a standard magazine, not the DBM. Want the best option for accuracy out of the box and good reliability. Would really appreciate Savage owners speaking up here.

I've played with all kinds of rifles and I'll add some light to the Savage feeding issues....

I believe most of the problems were with their old stagger feed magazines. I don't think there are problems with the newer center feed models. FYI -- their magazines are roomy too. Most of the blind mag center feed models measure a tad over 3". That gives you lots of flexibility when seating longer VLD type bullets. Especially useful considering the amount of freebore in most of their throats.

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I like my salvages and they always seem to shoot well with minimal tinkering. Three (3) of the salvages I have are DBM models, and they all feed just like they're supposed to.

There is not much in the way of aftermarket stock options for the accustock models.

I would handle one before you buy. They are different from Rugers.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by duckster
Any recoil difference between the Creedmore and the .260?

nah.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Been shooting, converting Savage's for a VERY long time now. Pre-bankruptcy, up to past 4 years.

Here is my deal, Don't Agree?? No skin off my nose, just my experiences.
RUN do NOT walk, AWAY from a Savage!
A long time ago when they were the "Cheap" seats, they had some barrels that, for the price paid, were a steal! THAT(IMO) is where the notion that "Savage's shoot" comes from. Those of us that had them back when all remember the infamous tight-spots in MANY barrels... particularly the 270's. Anywho, skipping forward in time that type of shenanigan became less; didn't dissapear, but became less. Then the word of them having some shooters started to become wide spread, and demand increased; as did the price. Only if it said Stevens, the price was a few hundred less; for the EXACT same gun. Finally there became a "Difference" when the accu-trigger came along. Now they are REALLY pricey.
I realize that everyone makes a turd now and then, But Savage seems to stay the same course. They make exceptional guns, now and then. They use the cheapest grade sewer piping for their stocks, always have. Sometimes they will get creative and add roof sheeting in them for rigidity, but still the same Tupperware, and results. Their MIM parts are some of the softest metals around, and no two are ever put together the same. I've had 4 different Accu-triggers, and everyone was notably different... and creepy, light, but creepy. The surface hardness of trigger parts is VERY thin. DO NOT do any polishing! Not filing, polishing. Within the past year MZ5 purchased one in Creed, the internals of the barrel can best be described as corrugated.

I just don't see them as ever having "up'd their game" in regards to quality, only now they demand a premium. Again, unless you buy the Stevens versions. They are an inexpensive, somewhat "tin-y" put together rifle, at the price of a finer quality rifle.
Yes, they can still be changed to another caliber by the amateur without tools. But it's similar in concept to the carburetor to me. YES everyone CAN work on them, the question becomes whether or not you want to HAVE to work on them.

$0.02

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This may hurt some feelings, but I believe the 6.5 Creedmoor is superior to the 260 Remington in a short action rifle.....and I've owned a bunch of 260's.

The Savage (and MRC, Winchester, NULA) allow longer COAL because of their spacious magazines. Ruger will allow you to approach 2.88", but that's about it. Remington and Kimber are maxed out at about 2.82"...give or take a tad.

A 260 loaded to 2.82" with a high BC bullet eats a bunch of powder room. A Creedmoor loaded to the same length uses less powder space in the cartridge. In my opinion, the Creedmoor has a much better case design.

With that being said, this doesn't take after market bottom metal into consideration.

I'll take some pictures tonight after I get home...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Does anyone else besides Savage and Ruger chamber the Creedmoor in a bolt gun?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd agree that the 6.5 Creedmoor is a better fit in short actions if you're going to use longer/heavier/high BC bullets, but if you're going to shoot medium game with bullets in the 100 to 130 grain range, I don't think that there is any meaningful difference between the two cartridges.

Jeff

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Darkker, I'm not gonna flame anyone for flaming a Salvage. I don't completely understand the folks that think they're the greatest thing on earth. They are what they are. That being said, they always seem to shoot well for me. you certainly never have to worry about them getting dinged up in the woods ....

the price has gotten pretty absurd on new ones. to the OP, if you do drop $700 on a 16 WW in 6.5, plan to keep it or lose money on it. You would lose at least $200 on it as soon as you drove it off the lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'd agree that the 6.5 Creedmoor is a better fit in short actions if you're going to use longer/heavier/high BC bullets, but if you're going to shoot medium game with bullets in the 100 to 130 grain range, I don't think that there is any meaningful difference between the two cartridges.

Jeff

Oh my, with an attitude like that, you're just not cool and with it! smile Everyone wants to use a 260 on elk at 800 yards and you MUST use the longest bullet you can stuff in it to do that!

P.S. I think you're right.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O.............that is nothing yet, go to ask the gun writers then to mule deers opinion on the .243. Yep siree now the .243 is a dandy deer elk buster at least up to 600 yards, some pics of elk at 900 plus and another @700 yards plus, yes sir all that with the .243 Winchester!!!
Of course as those experts Explain bullet placement is everything and of course the 105 VLD bullets. Yah, those 105 VLD are the game changers. Yep, now we also have learned, that chambering is nothing to worry about. And o yes, if you are one of those inept folks, who can not hit a deer at 600 yards, well you better start doing some work on your shooting. O , we forgot to mention they had shot truck loads of elk and deer, yes sir I said truck loads with the trusty good ole .243 Winnie with of course the game changer bullets.
I always get suspicious of those who claim truck loads of deer or elk. It displays some immaturity and need to be heard. Pictures do not prove at what range the animal was shot.
I hope for the animals in that area , that it all was verbal horse horse feathers.

Those postings were by the way not mule deers opinions himself, but the thread kept on unraveling from where he stopped.

Last edited by shrike; 12/27/13.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
wow

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,776
Posts18,495,801
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.