-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Every account I've ever read had the Commanch following a Medicine Man who had assured them he had special magic that would make them impervious to the Buffalo rifles they so feared. They beat him after taking a lot of casualties. ...and quit.

Nope, that was Isha-tai (spelling?). I forgot, another area where Gwynne excels is he follows what happened to the Comanche in the reservation era. Isha-tai, fine salesman that he must have been, became heavily involved in reservation politics, IIRC actually ran against Quanah Parker in tribal elections more than once.

No doubt more than one white captive died after being returned. Just the physical differences between white and Indian cultures would be a shock to the system, probably as much one way as the other. Cynthia Ann Parker, whom you mentioned, didn't last long after her repatriation to East Texas from the Comancheria. Perhaps she is of whom you speak.

Nope, not talking about the famous trauma cases (Matilda Lockhart also being an example). In this case the former captive had to flee with her kin to Houston and died of exposure-related causes en-route.

To add perspective, by 1860 the population of Texas was about 600,000. Moving close to Indian Country was about like visiting Border Mexico today, most people simply didn't do it and by then only a tiny fraction of Texans were subject to Indian Raids. Most were far more at risk from the bad element among other Texans.

Which is probably why there was never a response to Indian raids proportionate to the actual Texas population. That was left largely to the Army and to a tiny handful of Rangers. Nothing like the massive state-wide voluntary mobilization of manpower that came with secession for example.

It was about 1860 that the Comanches took up rounding up Texas cattle in a big way. Imagine for a moment how un-opposed you have to be to actually walk off (literally) driving a herd of cattle; ten miles a day leaving a trail so obvious even a Yankee could follow it.

By the 1870's, with the decline of the buffalo, MOST "Commanch" were living a sort of pastoral economy, camps surrounded by cattle herds. By 1874 MOST of the surviving "Commanch" were living on reservations in Oklahoma.

That summer perhaps a hundred of their young men still out actually held a sort of sun dance, a Northern Plains custom previously unknown to the participating Kiowa and Comanches.

After this ad-hoc spiritual affair, born of desperation, the disorganized group largely disbanded. Some went home, others, overruling Quanah Parker's desire to go against the fearsome Tonkawas, opted to go against the buffalo camp at Adobe Walls instead.

They weren't the first nor the last group of mounted cavalry to make the mistake of going up against entrenched riflemen. Indeed, the rifle ruled Plains combat, had ever since the Eastern Tribes first brung 'em out there in numbers maybe a hundred years before.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Josiah Gregg's Commerce of the Prairie should be required reading for any student of old west history!!!
Not to hijack Teal's thread, but there is an incredible amount of western history in Kansas City. If you like the cowboy era, Wichita or Fort Worth is probably more intensive in that specific area, but for an array of western history...cowboy plus fur trade, Indian, southwestern, commerce of the prairies, steamboats, railroads, War Between the States, Indian Wars, etc., I don't know if Kansas City can be beaten. Perhaps the biggest thing is the Immigration aspect. So many trails originating in and around Kansas City.

When I was a kid, there was what I'd characterize as a strip mall...shopping center. Kind of a forerunner of the mall as we know it today, in Mission, one of the towns making up KC metro. It was Mission style as is a lot of the stuff in KC. It had these ultra-cool inset tiles with scenes depicting the west in the area. Wagons, frontiersmen, bull whackers and the like. At some point, they got covered over, broken or something. I was up there a few days back and spied either one remaining or one they had reproduced.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Ethan! Louis Jurchereau de st. Denis wrote that on their way back to natchitoches 1716, lipanos attacked their party at the present day mouth of onion creek at the Colorado river (just east of Austin). They( the Lipans) had covered themselves with buff robes in an attempt to deflect the fusil balls!
A damned buffalo hide before it is worked and made pliable enough to wear or wrap around you might indeed deflect some lower powered loads.

Yup! Very true! Henri Joutel stated that the first thing that wore out at Ft. St. Louis were there shoes! They went to making ersatz mocs made out of green buff hides. They had to stand on water for hours to get them soft enough to remove from their feet!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have a copy of Undaunted Courage by Ambrose and really enjoyed the parts of it in the middle that detailed the actual expedition into the west. The encounters with grizzly bears from their journal entries were very entertaining. They were warned by the Indians as to the fierceness of the bears, but did not believe them. Didn't take long for that to change. Also their description of the land, masses and herds of wildlife and the dealings with the indian tribes.
AB

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Also their description of the land, masses and herds of wildlife and the dealings with the indian tribes.

...and the fact they were guided halfway across the Continent by an illiterate teenage girl carrying an infant. When they happened to encounter a couple of her brothers later on they were golden, and got directions for the rest of the way.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
without a doubt. they gained tremendous respect for her bravery, and invaluable presence.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Another vote for the journals of Lewis amd Clark. There were several members that kept journals but I like the one by Patrick Gass the best. He was more consistent in day by day writing.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Here's a book about an expedition in the mid 1800's through the old west. I've posted a link to it here at the Campfire a few times in the past. Maybe some will find it interesting. http://mtmen.org/mtman/html/sage/index.html

"... Introduction to Rufus Sage's Rocky Mountain Life

Rufus Sage wandered in the Rocky Mountains from 1841 to 1843. He travelled extensively in the major fur trapping regions, and associated with trappers, traders, indians, hunters, and soldiers.
He published his journal of his travels in 1846. Unlike many contemporary journalists, Sage provided detailed descriptions of the everyday activities of the "mountaineers".

Bibliographical Information
Author: Sage, Rufus, 1817-1893.
Title: Rocky Mountain Life, or, Startling Scenes and Perilous
Adventures in the Far West, During an Expedition of
Three Years.
Published: Wentworth & Company, Boston, 1857
Notes: Originally published as "Scenes in the Rocky Mountains",
by Carey & Hart, 1846."...

If you don't feel like reading the entire book, at the above link scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says "Bookmarks - Links to interesting sections of the text".

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Life In The Far West" and "Adventures In Mexico and the Rocky Mountains" George F. Ruxton. Ruxton has road named for him at Manitou Springs CO.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another one that just occurred to me that hasn't been touched on I think is titled "Beyond the Hundreth Meridian" about John Wesley Powell's expedition down the Colorado River.

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Links below to a pair of books dealing with the famous meteorite and the Freeman-Custus expedition. Going to get Flores , Anthony Glass Journal of an Indian Trader first! Looks like a very interesting read!

http://books.google.com/books?id=hP...tput=html_text&source=gbs_navlinks_s

http://www.tamupress.com/product/Journal-of-an-Indian-Trader,979.aspx

Last edited by kaywoodie; 01/02/14.

Founder

WS

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I recently received FIREARMS, TRAPS AND TOOLS OF MOUNTAIN MEN A GUIDE TO THE EQUIPMENT OF THE TRAPPERS AND FUR TRADERS WHO OPENED THE OLD WEST. Despite the length of the title this appears to be a stellar work written by Carl P. Russell. There are separate chapters on axes, rifles, knives, traps and firestarters. Great descriptions on how things were made and used abound. This book is truly a text and I am enjoying it greatly.
Thanks to all of you who have made suggestions, my list is growing and I will soon be making another big order to Amazon.

mike r.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Also their description of the land, masses and herds of wildlife and the dealings with the indian tribes.

...and the fact they were guided halfway across the Continent by an illiterate teenage girl [Sacajawea] carrying an infant. When they happened to encounter a couple of her brothers later on they were golden, and got directions for the rest of the way.

Also extremely important was the fact that Lewis & Clark were able to get horses from Sacajawea's brother and his Shoshone tribal members. Without those horses, the very strong odds of Lewis & Clark ever getting on beyond the Rocky Mountains were very slim.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I recently received FIREARMS, TRAPS AND TOOLS OF MOUNTAIN MEN A GUIDE TO THE EQUIPMENT OF THE TRAPPERS AND FUR TRADERS WHO OPENED THE OLD WEST. Despite the length of the title this appears to be a stellar work written by Carl P. Russell. There are separate chapters on axes, rifles, knives, traps and firestarters. Great descriptions on how things were made and used abound. This book is truly a text and I am enjoying it greatly.
Thanks to all of you who have made suggestions, my list is growing and I will soon be making another big order to Amazon.

mike r.

Mike! That book is an old stand-by! Good book! I think my old dog-ears copy is over 30 years old!

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I recently received FIREARMS, TRAPS AND TOOLS OF MOUNTAIN MEN A GUIDE TO THE EQUIPMENT OF THE TRAPPERS AND FUR TRADERS WHO OPENED THE OLD WEST. Despite the length of the title this appears to be a stellar work written by Carl P. Russell. ...

Yes, a very interesting book. I've had a copy for about 30 years or so. It's from the University of New Mexico Press, �1977, Alfred A. Knopf Publs. �1967, if anyone is searching for it.

Several references have been made here about "Bent's Fort," on the upper Arkansas River in what today is southern Colorado. Bent's Fort was an extremely important fur trading post dealing both with the central Rocky Mountain fur trappers and the trappers from the southern Rocky Mountains of New Mexico, etc. It was instrumental too in the freight trade from Westport, on the Missouri River near what today is Kansas City, to Santa Fe.

Check around and see if you can find a copy of Bent's Fort, by David Lavender, Doubleday and Co, Inc. Publs., �1954. You won't be disappointed.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Currently re-reading "The Old Santa Fe Trail" Stanley Vestal. "The Taos Trappers" David Weber. "Narrative of the Adventures of Zenas Leonard" by ZL.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
David Weber history Dept SMU, is one of THE authorities on colonial North American Spanish History! Very thorough author.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 01/02/14.

Founder

WS

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I remember the story of the tonkawas capturing the Comanche at we bees prairie (Noah Smithwick's Evolution of a State) and they borrowed a wash pot from "Puss" Webber. Built a fire and cooked the Comanche in her pot! All
Natives present dined on his remains!!!!
Karankawa's, Commanche, Lipan Apache, Mescalaro Apache, Southern Cheyenne, Tonks, Kiowa's...no doubt Texas had some of the most savage natives on the continent.

Howdy EE.

Not to start a fight....but those injuns were wusses compared to the Gros Ventres that Jim Bridger enjoyed killing with his flintlock in today's western Wyoming and SW Montana. The scene from "Centennial" where Pasquinel had the arrowhead cut out of his back is based on Bridger's own situation. TOUGH.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk266/dfly57/geocache/bth_20070317-300px-Jim_Bridger.jpg

http://www.america101.us/trail/FtBridger_files/shapeimage_3.png

http://media.smithsonianmag.com/images/James-Bridger-5.jpg

As the story goes, John Colter fought with a group a Shoshones (or was it Flatheads) against a Gros Ventre tribe in the very early 1800's after his separation from L & C. And the Gros Ventres noticed him in the skirmish as a white man. From that day on..........they were aggressive and viscious and murderous toward all white men.

If you've ever seen the ridiculously stupid movie "The Mtn Men" with Heston and Keith...........the scene where the Blackfeet chase Heston naked into a beaver dam with him killing the one with the spear in his "run for life" is based on John Colter's own story. Colter showed up naked and starving at a crude fort on the Missouri 300 miles downstream. Resupplied........and then went back for more. Now that's TOUGH.

Last edited by StripBuckHunter; 01/02/14.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by StripBuckHunter
I remember the story of the tonkawas capturing the Comanche at we bees prairie (Noah Smithwick's Evolution of a State) and they borrowed a wash pot from "Puss" Webber. Built a fire and cooked the Comanche in her pot! All
Natives present dined on his remains!!!!
Karankawa's, Commanche, Lipan Apache, Mescalaro Apache, Southern Cheyenne, Tonks, Kiowa's...no doubt Texas had some of the most savage natives on the continent.

Howdy EE.

Not to start a fight....but those injuns were wusses compared to the Gros Ventres that Jim Bridger enjoyed killing with his flintlock in today's western Wyoming and SW Montana. The scene from "Centennial" where Pasquinel had the arrowhead cut out of his back is based on Bridger's own situation. TOUGH.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk266/dfly57/geocache/bth_20070317-300px-Jim_Bridger.jpg

http://www.america101.us/trail/FtBridger_files/shapeimage_3.png

http://media.smithsonianmag.com/images/James-Bridger-5.jpg

As the story goes, John Colter fought with a group a Shoshones (or was it Flatheads) against a Gros Ventre tribe in the very early 1800's after his separation from L & C. And the Gros Ventres noticed him in the skirmish as a white man. From that day on..........they were aggressive and viscious and murderous toward all white men.

If you've ever seen the ridiculously stupid movie "The Mtn Men" with Heston and Keith...........the scene where the Blackfeet chase Heston naked into a beaver dam with him killing the one with the spear in his "run for life" is based on John Colter's own story. Colter showed up naked and starving at a crude fort on the Missouri 300 miles downstream. Resupplied........and then went back for more. Now that's TOUGH.
Wow.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Plus.....'ol Jim had a song written about him, LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53-utjVZPtA&feature=player_detailpage#t=8

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (1936M71, admin, 44mc, 7887mm08, 8 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,644
Posts18,533,702
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.