Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Here is a bowl of my potato soup.
Potatoes with any vegetables you like. I use garlic, onions, celery, and anything handy.
No more water than needed, the liquors from all the vegetables is key. Some bacon adds flavor of course.
My secrete ingredient is course cracked peppercorns for that "He man" touch. [Linked Image]

Last edited by wabigoon; 10/19/13.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Here is a bowl of my potato soup.
Potatoes with any vegetables you like. I use garlic, onions, celery, and anything handy.
No more water than needed, the liquors from all the vegetables is key. Some bacon adds flavor of course.
My secrete ingredient is course cracked peppercorns for that "He man" touch.
Had no idea that vegetables released liquors into soups. grin

Looks good, though.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
When vegetables are boiled, or simmered, the water is called pot liquor. A lot of nutrition, and flavor is in the "juice"

Sorry, hard to get a buzz from it, safe to drive after however.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
When vegetables are boiled, or simmered, the water is called pot liquor. A lot of nutrition, and flavor is in the "juice"

Sorry, hard to get a buzz from it, safe to drive after however.

I love to eat potato soup, but it is not safe to be in a closed car with me afterwards, driving or not. grin

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
A lot of nutrition, and flavor is in the "juice"
So true.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by eh76
Pozole (Pork and Hominy Soup)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 clove garlic ( I like more)
� pound pork ( I have used pork loin, pork roast, etc) cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 medium onion chopped ( about 3/4 cup)
2 cups cooked pinto beans ( a 30 ounce can works well)
1 can (30 ounce) hominy drained
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped green chilies (I just use a small can of roasted and peeled, you can use mild or hot)
1 Tbsp chili powder
3 cups chicken broth ( I use 2 15 oz cans)
1 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp pepper
1 1/2 Tsp dried oregano leaves
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
Heat � cup oil and the garlic in a 3 quart sauce pan or stock pot until hot. Coat pork with flour. Cook and stir over medium heat until brown; remove from saucepan. Cook and stir � cup onion in same saucepan until tender. Stir in pinto beans, hominy, carrot, celery, green chilies and chili powder. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Stir pork, oregano, chicken broth, salt, pepper into vegetable mixture. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add � cup chopped onion and the cilantro to mixture prior to serving.

We made this today and it's excellent.
Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is how I make my homemade chicken soup. It comes out different pretty much every time because I like to tweak it but I have yet to make a bad batch.

This is what you will need to make the broth

1 whole chicken
2 medium onions quartered
3 carrots quartered
Lots of garlic (I usually use 1/2 a head or so but I love garlic)
3 bay leaves
4 stalks celery quartered
2 jalapeno peppers halved longways (I usually scrape out the seeds)
1 box chicken broth

I add all the ingredients into a stock pot and add water until the chicken is covered. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the chicken is falling apart. I use tongs to pull the chunks of chicken out onto a cookie sheet and break it up. The rest of the stock pot is strained into another pot and the next list of ingredients is added to the broth.

1 large onion diced into medium-large pieces
3 stalks celery sliced
2 medium potatoes cubed
1 can of sweet corn, drained
salt and pepper to taste

I will bring this to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are soft. Personally I don't like carrots in my soup, which is why I don't add them in the second pot but they can always be added if you like them. I always cook egg noodles separately, that way they don't get soggy when you reheat the soup. You just put in however many you want when you reheat some of the soup. I have also put in a couple of boneless chicken breasts into the stock pot just to up the meat a little. My ex would beg me to make this soup. You can also make it with a bone in turkey breast, that is what I did for Thanksgiving this year since it was only me. It turned out great and I ate it for about a week straight.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Posted this one on the 'Fire. Super easy and great taste as well.

With compliments to the U.S. Senate Restaurant

The Famous Senate Restaurant Bean Soup Recipe

2 pounds dried navy beans
four quarts hot water
1 1/2 pounds smoked ham hocks
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste

Wash the navy beans and run hot water through them until they are slightly whitened. Place beans into pot with hot water. Add ham hocks and simmer approximately three hours in a covered pot, stirring occasionally. Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool. Dice meat and return to soup. Lightly brown the onion in butter. Add to soup. Before serving, bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Serves 8

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
RON'S HEARTY BEEF VEGETABLE WITH BARLEY SOUP
(Revised 12/2/2013-makes about 5+ quarts after it's cooked down)

2 lbs Lean ground chuck (not more than 15% fat)
6 cans 14 oz. of Swanson�s or your favorite canned beef broth
3 cans 14 oz. of Swanson's or your favorite canned chicken broth
� can Water - use to rinse out all the other containers
1 Tbsp Olive oil (for saut�ing & softening the onions & garlic)
2 Tbsp Frank�s Red Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce (optional, but adds great flavor)
1 bottle (12 oz.) Hunts Chili Sauce
8 Large cloves of garlic, minced
2 Medium (at least baseball sized) onions, chopped medium
1 can (15 oz.) White Hominy, drained & rinsed
1 lb (16 oz.) Frozen, mixed peas & carrots, rinsed well
� lb Frozen white or yellow corn, rinsed well
2 cans (6 oz. ea.) sliced water chestnuts, drained, rinsed & chopped coarse
1 can each of Hunts Tomato Sauce (8 oz.) & Hunts Tomato Paste (6 oz.)
1 can (14.5 oz.) Hunt�s Diced Tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano
1� Cups Pearled barley, rinsed
1 Tbsp Freshly-ground black pepper
Salt-optional (no salt is needed due to the salt in the concentrated broth)

PREPARATION:

1) In a large pot (8 quarts or more), add the olive oil, onions & garlic over medium heat, cook to soften (about 10 minutes) stirring often. Add & brown the meat, stirring often.
2) Add all the rest of the ingredients (except the barley) adding the broth last & as much broth as you can (all of it if possible)-bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to "medium low" (a "heavy" simmer). Simmer, uncovered, for 4 hours, stirring every 15 to 20 minutes.
3) As the liquid is concentrated & reduced in volume, add any remaining broth if all of it didn't initially fit in the pot. Add the barley, cook a � hour or so longer.
4) Serve with home-made (still warm from the oven) or high-quality, store-bought rye or pumpernickel bread (warmed in the oven).

NOTE: Soup�s and Chili's many flavors �marry� during storage and thus benefit in increased flavor if refrigerated or frozen overnight although this hearty soup is very tasty immediately after it is made. This soup freezes well, so make a full recipe of it & freeze it in 2-serving (1-quart) containers, reserving enough soup in the refrigerator for tomorrow�s lunch or dinner. Incidentally, the Hot Pepper Sauce adds s nice "extra" flavor, but is undetectable in 5+ quarts of soup, so please try it before leaving it out... you'll like it!

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FishinHank
This is how I make my homemade chicken soup. It comes out different pretty much every time because I like to tweak it but I have yet to make a bad batch.

This is what you will need to make the broth

1 whole chicken
2 medium onions quartered
3 carrots quartered
Lots of garlic (I usually use 1/2 a head or so but I love garlic)
3 bay leaves
4 stalks celery quartered
2 jalapeno peppers halved longways (I usually scrape out the seeds)
1 box chicken broth

I add all the ingredients into a stock pot and add water until the chicken is covered. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the chicken is falling apart. I use tongs to pull the chunks of chicken out onto a cookie sheet and break it up. The rest of the stock pot is strained into another pot and the next list of ingredients is added to the broth.

1 large onion diced into medium-large pieces
3 stalks celery sliced
2 medium potatoes cubed
1 can of sweet corn, drained
salt and pepper to taste

I will bring this to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are soft. Personally I don't like carrots in my soup, which is why I don't add them in the second pot but they can always be added if you like them. I always cook egg noodles separately, that way they don't get soggy when you reheat the soup. You just put in however many you want when you reheat some of the soup. I have also put in a couple of boneless chicken breasts into the stock pot just to up the meat a little. My ex would beg me to make this soup. You can also make it with a bone in turkey breast, that is what I did for Thanksgiving this year since it was only me. It turned out great and I ate it for about a week straight.

Thinking I might do this as chicken and wild rice.

Andrew
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ranch Beans, my father in law's beans Recipe

Use 2 lbs of Pink beans. Soak overnight if you want, I usually will soak for 10 min, and flush, use new water, and start it to a simmer.

Add 2 Lbs of Yellow onions. Chopped

Add 2 Green Bell Peppers (careful not to get too much bell pepper as it can make the beans taste too sweet)

Use 6 cloves of Garlic (or more)

Add 2 Lbs of bacon, fry it, dry it off, or slice uncooked in the pot. Frying it removes alot of greese, and also alot of flavor, your choice.

Add 1 ham hock, maybe 2, I like smoked ham hocks better, but either will work.

Add 6-12 Celery stocks cut in 3/8 to 1/2 pieces.

Add Cumin (start with 2 tablespoons and add to suit your taste)

Add chili powder (same as above, I just keep adding until it suits me, dont get stingy, and dont overdo it....grin)

Salt (season to taste, it's your beans)

Pepper (be careful, dont add too much)

Two large cans of whole tomatoes, maybe three, add juice and all to your beans.

For a cajon taste, add cajon seasoning to taste.

Let cook at a simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. Dont cook them so long the beans break down.

Enjoy! This is my father in law's recipe. He has cooked them for years at fireman feeds, the county fair, family get togethers, duck s unlimited dinners, etc, they are goooood.

You can freeze them after cooked, and cooled down in large freezer bags and them you can have great beans for dinner at your leasure. We also take them hunting with us. The bears think they are out of this world.....that's another story, and true.

You can cut this recipe in half and it will make a nice large two gallon or so pot of beans.

Try these boys, and I think you will like them. Myself, I have done the bacon either way, and just slicing them up and throwing them in tastes best, but it should, it has all of that bacon grease in it.

Make sure you have enough water, you want at least the upper third of the pot to be liquid. I take a ladle and take one scoop from the bottom for the beans, hocks, etc, and one scoop from the top for the liquid. Makes the best bowl of beans you can eat. My father in law has been invited to everything under the sun just so he can make these beans. I have often seen him making 20 to 30 gallons of these beans for big feeds. He's a bean maker, and this recipe is a winner.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (308xray, 7mm_Loco, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 69sportfury, 15 invisible), 17,170 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,879
Posts18,538,159
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
7 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.