Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
John, I realize you are an employee of the industry, but since I am not I felt free to express an independent opinion. At any rate, it�s not worth blowing a head gasket over.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If all of those shorthanded on ammo had picked up 2 boxes of mini mags every time they stopped at the LGS (since 1980) to bullshit and tell stories, both they and their LGS would be in better shape today...

IME/IMO, most shooters, even the serious ones, talk more about shooting than actually shooting.
There ARE exceptions and i suspect that most of them hang out here at the campfire.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stayclean
John, I realize you are an employee of the industry, but since I am not I felt free to express an independent opinion. At any rate, it�s not worth blowing a head gasket over.

You are seriously ate up in the head...

edit; How's that for an independent opinion???

Last edited by johnw; 01/12/14.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Guess putting him on "ignore" didn't help.

Will make two comments:

First, I'm not "an employee of the industry." I would be if I worked as an editor for one the NRA magazines, or was similarly salaried by some other company. Instead I freelance for various magazines as an independent contractor, but make almost as much of my income by selling my words directly to readers, either in my self-published books or the quarterly on-line magazine my wife and I publish--which does not accepted advertising.

But all that's really irrelevant, because unlike your "opinion" (which you are indeed free to post) mine is based on facts derived by direct investigation, such as visiting actual factories where rimfire ammo is being made, and buying rimfire ammo occasionally in local stores in the past year, instead of making paranoid guesses about industry-wide price-fixing conspiracies.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Give up, Mule Deer, He heard it from his non shooting, bullshitting buddies at the gun store...
The same buddies that are in there every day, but buy something once a year...

Got a friend who owns a gun shop and he is afflicted with these know-it-alls...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
johnw, you have the idea for being well supplied.. When a guy sees a good buy, or sale, etc.. that is the time to pick up extra stuff, bullets, primers, powder, ammo, what have you.. That is the key to being well supplied. I have also found if I pickup something at a good price and really have no use for it, a couple of my pals will take it off my hands.. we both win..

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by tmitch
The problem isn't with the rounds sprayed down range, it's the people accumulating & sitting on 20, 40, 100 thousand rounds thinking they can stave off the hungry hoards attacking their hidy hole when the lights go dim.

Outta curiosity was I the problem when I was buying bricks for $12 a pop and ammo was plentiful??

You answered your own question, "when ammo was plentiful". At $12 a brick I'm sure it was before the hysteria of the last couple years.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually, it's only been a little over a year--it just SEEMS like two years!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
True, the rush after SH was a little over a year ago, but Obama has been too many years making shooters nervous! The last rimfire ammo I bought was over 1 1/2 years ago and it was already difficult finding specific loads. It took my dealer over a month to get the WW Subsonic TCHP I like.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I'm glad I had a decent supply of Winchester Power Points before the big panic hit.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Any campfire members buy more rimfire in 2013 than they did in 2012?

Between the campfire forum, RFC forum and some of the benchrest forums are probably the most dedicated rimfire shooters in the country. I have not seen anyone post they have bought more rimfire than usual. Most have bought little to none.

Dink

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I purchased more in 2013 then in 2012 and 2011.

Probably averaging 4 bricks a month.

In Canada we did not see a shortage anytime I purchased 22 ammo, there was lot's left for the other person.

Average price per brick was about $23.00 Canadian.

We are experiencing powder,primer and bullet shortages ,finding components for your pet loads is a challenge.

Freight and other taxes kick the [bleep] out of prices as well as as the growing difference in our dollar .

Homeland security is a bitch, we get continue to get hosed on optics, 30% difference between Cabelas Canada and Cabelas US.

US citzens close to the border could not purchase 22 ammo.

JB you have more patience then me ........

Flyer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like a conspiracy theory as well as the next guy but mule deer laid out the most logical scenario I've heard. I was of a mind that it couldn't be hoarders until I went to a yard sale where a guy was selling the estate of a friend. he had 2 one pound bottles of imr 4350 powder on the table. of course I grabbed them. I asked if he had any more and he took me in the back where his pickup was. his deceased buddy was a hoarder. in the pickup was 800 pounds of imr 4350. I hadn't seen any powder for a year, it was like a wet dream. I bought all I will ever use in my life time for 15.00 a lb. also had a good supply of 4064 and blc(2). that's when I realized the magnitude of hoarding going on.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think this present panic is lasting longer because of the politics involved. There is consistent anti 2A talk from a variety of democrat politicians, not just POTUS. There also are the anti-2A organizations who get media time and various state and federal court decisions that are being made. All of this keeps fanning the flames of hoarding.

I know from my previous firearms safety training, as an instructor, we frequently had dud .22lr ammo for the kids to
use. Why I bring this up is that all the hoarders will eventually discover their precious stash doesn't fire.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any campfire members buy more rimfire in 2013 than they did in 2012?

Well, yes I did. Gave away more than in those other years too. Also bought a .223 black rifle. I did not even want one until they started telling me I did not need one. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Miles how much more did you buy?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deerstalker
I like a conspiracy theory as well as the next guy but mule deer laid out the most logical scenario I've heard. I was of a mind that it couldn't be hoarders until I went to a yard sale where a guy was selling the estate of a friend. he had 2 one pound bottles of imr 4350 powder on the table. of course I grabbed them. I asked if he had any more and he took me in the back where his pickup was. his deceased buddy was a hoarder. in the pickup was 800 pounds of imr 4350. I hadn't seen any powder for a year, it was like a wet dream. I bought all I will ever use in my life time for 15.00 a lb. also had a good supply of 4064 and blc(2). that's when I realized the magnitude of hoarding going on.

Any mirrors for sale in that yard?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My last 22 LR purchase was about Oct 2011. Still in good shape, but I am not going to do any sloppy shooting. Every shot will count.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miles how much more did you buy?

A bunch, but I did not keep track. Because of the shortage and since I am retired, I made a bunch of trips to the local Walmart before the annual trip to Quemado. I figured since they were in short supply, my friends might have trouble shooting all they wanted to on our get together so I made sure I was there at opening time (local not open all night) and stood in line with the group that was regulars. It was hard to beat them since they seemed to know how much was coming and would bring enough people to get it all, but I kept going earlier until I got a good supply to take. It was there for free for all to shoot and then I gave quite a bit away to friends after the shooting was over. I have since given some to a friend or two with children that shoot. I need to do it again before the trip to Texas in April. miles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I should have added that I am keeping more on hand than in the past, one reason is that three days before the Sandy Hook shooting my Wife told me she wanted a new .22 pistol. We looked online and she decided on a Ruger 22/45, so I went and bought one right before the shooting. I keep more since we need more. miles

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (AdventureBound, 7mm_Loco, 79S, 673, 17 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,438
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.