Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ROSEBUD

Never appeal to a mans "better side", he may not have one.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I still got mine, had a ball with that thing.

Mine didn't come with a ball.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I still got mine, had a ball with that thing.

Mine didn't come with a ball.

Travis

I did, Two.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
This is my sled.
Not great picture, and the sled is old. [Linked Image]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Good God! Did you steal it from ingwe? That thing looks older than the moon.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Remember jerking the sled out from under your body and turning it sideways as a braking maneuver?

Doing so would stop you in a heart beat. But as a habit, it guaranteed the sled would never become an heirloom.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by macrabbit
Out here in California we had Flexy Racers (just Flexies, to us kids): wheeled, steerable "sleds".
Our favorite run was right down the middle of our street, from the top of the hill to the dead-end barricade at the bottom. There was one narrow driveway at the very end of the road, and the game was trying to make that right angle turn; at nearly full speed, considering the lousy brakes. Failure meant some nasty road rash and extricating from the oleander bushes, with perhaps a good slam into the wooden barricade if one hadn't even gotten off the roadbed.
Just flying down the street was an adventure in itself, as the road wasn't smooth macadam but some tarred rock thingy. Talk about getting the jitters; this was it for real!

I too grew up in an area of CA that rarely received snow (actually one town over from macrabbit) and owned a "Flexie" as well. We lived at the bottom of a hill where if you started a run from the very top, it was a good mile to the bottom and you could nearly hit what seemed like terminal velocity on the thing. At the bottom of the hill, the road turned sharply to the right so you had to make sure you had scrubbed off enough speed to make the turn. The sled had rudimentary brakes but I recall some of us crashing through the neighbors hedge more than once. Thinking back, I'm surprised I survived my childhood.

[Linked Image]

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's the thing, alright!
I recall many fun hours lying on my tummy (when I, the youngest, could wrest one of our Flexies away from my older brothers).

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
It sure is not a new sled.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we wore them sleds out as kids ..spent many a hour with steel wool and wax (mom's dinner center pice candle,don't rat me out!) with the slick runners it was fun to see how fast/far we could run them....I got on one a few years back ..ouch ...could use some springs and a pad on them now!!

Last edited by atvalaska; 01/11/14.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by macrabbit
That's the thing, alright!
I recall many fun hours lying on my tummy (when I, the youngest, could wrest one of our Flexies away from my older brothers).

Did you (or brothers) ever remove the springs from the steering bar to increase steering sensitivity?

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Remember them?
Any stories to tell?

Sure do, my grandad rebuilt one for me, that was in 1947. At the time I was living with my mom's mom and dad at the time they were living in Cheney, WA.

I remember one morning getting to the street that was closed off for the kids to sled on. At the bottom of the hill the city every morning put fresh gravel on the snow to stop the sleds from sliding across the cross street at the bottom of the hill, that street was also was old US 10 the main cost to coast highway. Well I jumped on my sled and down the hill I went, when I got to the bottom there wasn't fresh gravel or sand so I took the ride across US 10, it was a wonder that I get killed or badly injured as I got lucky I hit a lull in the traffic.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pixarezzo
Did you (or brothers) ever remove the springs from the steering bar to increase steering sensitivity?

Mayhap not intentionally; but I recall them missing, at least in their later days.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Still have the Flexible Flyer. Lots of fun and many bumps n bruises from that thing. Now the wife uses it for decoration out on the porch. Women...go figure.

Heard they were starting to gain traction in the collectors market. I'm keeping mine.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
My sled was a Silver Streak.

I don't know how many trees I hit with that thing, but My dad finally replaced the front half-moon bar with a piece of 3/8" X 1 1/2" flat bar. I had the roll-off mode perfected so never was on the sled when it actually hit the tree but I was usually traveling at a good rate of speed while having fun dodging the trees in the woods behind our farm.

I don't know what happened to that sled, but I saw one a couple of years ago and nearly choked at the price tag. crazy

We also had another sled that was a "Champion" brand that my siblings use. It was longer and not quite as nimble as my shorter one.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pixarezzo
I too grew up in an area of CA that rarely received snow (actually one town over from macrabbit) and owned a "Flexie" as well. We lived at the bottom of a hill where if you started a run from the very top, it was a good mile to the bottom and you could nearly hit what seemed like terminal velocity on the thing. At the bottom of the hill, the road turned sharply to the right so you had to make sure you had scrubbed off enough speed to make the turn. The sled had rudimentary brakes but I recall some of us crashing through the neighbors hedge more than once. Thinking back, I'm surprised I survived my childhood.

[Linked Image]

LOL, And we all wonder why we have those aches and pains.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have a real nice Silver streak hanging in my garage.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 160user, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 25 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,368
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.