-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not directed at anyone particularly but M&P's are an "improved" Sigma the cheap copy that Smith and Wesson used to replicate Glock. Glock sued Smith and Wesson over this (1994), hence the M&P series came about. I have used the M&P series after it was "forced" upon us by are bean counters. Luckily I only had to use it for 2 years. I can't say it was as reliable as a Glock but the trigger was "nicer". Don't even get me started on the Walther SW99!!

Learning to do the "Trigger Reset" Method for Glock will go a long way on shooting accurate with them for more "precise" shots. Google will probably have something on it, but after the first shot is "pressed" to the rear, you let your finger go about 1/4 forward with the trigger and you will "feel" the click and "hear" it most likely. At this point you merely "press" the trigger again since it has been reset and ready to fire, you wil not have the "staple gun" effect after the first round if you do this properly. Practice dry firing to perfect it?

Personally Smith and Wesson should have stuck with doing what they do best.......making revolvers!

Springfield jumped into the market and came up with a 1911/Glock hybrid. Some love them, I'm not one of them!

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Tarkio

The XDs struggled all day. There were multiple issues with each XD. These mostly involved mag issues. Especially when dumping mags and getting them dirty. The springs and followers really sucked. One XD locked up so tight the armorer has to resort to a hammer.

There is/was a film of sorts on the inside of the XD 9mm magazines, that, combined with range dirt and dust, will cause the gun to choke. Bill Rodgers is not an XD fan.

The XD has a sharper recoil impulse than the M&P, and the M&P's recoil is sharper than a Glock 34. I compared all five-inch guns in 9mm, same ammo.

Close range, fast shooting? Glock rules. A Glock will NEVER win the Bianchi Cup though, it cannot be made accurate enough.

Accuracy is job one, and you want tupperware? Get an M&P.

The XD is a work in progress, don't rule it out though.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Esox357

Personally Smith and Wesson should have stuck with doing what they do best.......making revolvers!

I don't agree. The M&P though, like a 1911, needs to be well lubricated, it won't run long dry like a Glock will.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by deflave

How many rounds does yours have through it without cleaning?

Travis

I don't know about Craig, but my Xdm that I shoot USPSA production class with will usually make to about 2,000 rounds before it starts to hiccup and needs cleaning to run smoothly. I am using lead bullets though so it gets pretty filthy.

But, it sucks when your in the middle of a match stage and it quits running. Would suck more in a defensive situation. Out here in west Texas, it can get pretty dusty. Some of the guys running STI's and such usually have a bag of sorts around their holstered gun to keep the sand from getting in them between stages. Mags are always getting dropped in the sand. Some folks clean theirs between stages, but I usually wipe em off on my pant leg and keep going.

I also have a M&P and a Gen 4 G34. Heck, I like guns period and like them all. Of the 3, the M&P feels best in my hand and I shoot it a little more accurately than I do the Xdm or G34. I just loaded up 5k rounds of 124gr Montana Golds, so I'll find out how the G34 does. Although, in the XDm's defense, it wouldn't be a fair comparison unless I run jacketed bullets through it and see how long it'll run. Maybe I'll do that at some point.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
ESO,

What years did you guys carry M&P's? Were they 9's?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Good stuff Ryan. My XD was reliable but my dad liked it more than me so I gave it to him.

Then somebody stole it out of his truck. I guess this family wasn't meant to have XD's. Grin...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...Learning to do the "Trigger Reset" Method for Glock will go a long way on shooting accurate with them for more "precise" shots. Google will probably have something on it, but after the first shot is "pressed" to the rear, you let your finger go about 1/4 forward with the trigger and you will "feel" the click and "hear" it most likely. At this point you merely "press" the trigger again since it has been reset and ready to fire, you wil not have the "staple gun" effect after the first round if you do this properly. Practice dry firing to perfect it?...

I really don't have a dog in this fight, but it strikes me funny how much this comment resembles the old issue with DA/SA action pistols. I remember Coopers remark about the "throw-away" first shot of the "crunch'n'ticker". This sounds like a nicer, weaker version of same.

Just sayin'. wink

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by Boococky
I much prefer the XDs and M&Ps over the Glocks.....just as reliable and much more enjoyable to shoot

Not in my experience.

The last intensive handgun course I attended, there were about 16 attendees. If I remember correctly all were glocks except for 2 or 3 XDs, 1 1911 (maybe) and 2 H&Ks. If I remember correctly, I fired around 800 rounds that day. That makes for about 15,000 rounds fired for all the participants.

The glocks had not a single FTE, FTF, etc.
The H&Ks had 1 issue. I had a FTE when I was transitioning and limp-wristed once (my fault). Split second to clear and we were on our way.
The XDs struggled all day. There were multiple issues with each XD. These mostly involved mag issues. Especially when dumping mags and getting them dirty. The springs and followers really sucked. One XD locked up so tight the armorer has to resort to a hammer.

That course opened my eyes as I was about to purchase an XD for my wife. I also witnessed how hard a single-handed clearing was with the XDs.

Now XDs are nice to shoot (IMO). But I have no desire to own one and rely on it. I'll take my USPc any day, all day or a P7.

The USP with stainless slide looks alright in my estimation, for a "plastic" gun.

Interesting observation on the USP. For that matter, I don't recall a single issue, ever, with my H&K P2000. That pistol tends to sleep where I sleep. So far so good on a full-size M&P 40 with external safety. That one gets to drag through the South Texas brush with me. My little XDs .45 regularly rotates as a carry gun. No issues to date except for a lousy job on the recall trigger replacement. I sent it back and they made it right. I'm not a big Glock fan, but that's just personal taste. I've never liked the way they feel in my hands. Others do. Pick your poison and rock on.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The XD and M&P haven't been around as long as Glock, but they have both proven themselves quite well. About the toughest environment for a handgun is the shooting schools. The XD and M&P both have a heavy presence at schools all over the country and have been holding up quite well; every bit as good as the Glock.

I consider all three to be pretty much equal; they're just different.

Note what I said. Most all of the XD issues revolved around magazine feeding issues. The one that was not mag related was pretty severe though. Pretty crappy deal when something causes a semi to lock up tighter that a fricken drum. I believe the XD is a decent sidearm and I liked shooting it. But between the multiple mag issues I personally witnessed and watched the armorer helping attendees deal with and watching the added difficulty of practicing clearance drills with the XDs, I'll pass.

I am not a Glock shooter. I own 3 or 4, but the grip angle isn't quite right for me. Doesn't mean I don't respect them as about the best PAS gun out there. PERIOD.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just read my earlier post via your quote. I mistyped. My problem with my USPc was a stovepipe, not a FTE. My mistake in trying type and keep up with my ADD brain.

I had transtitioned to off hand shooting or maybe had returned to strong hand after shooting weak hand. I was pressing for more speed and didn't have a firm deep grip when I shot and I limp-wristed the shot. Stovepipe and definitely operator-error. Not the hardware.

I love my Variant 1 USP. I suppose if I worked with a newer H&K I could learn to love the LEM type trigger. I just have never had that opportunity to really run a lot of rounds through one to see. I am happy with a very reliable firearm and guess I won't be looking at a different option. If and when I do, it will probably be a 1911. I won't go there until I have more time to drill and practice much more regularly than I do now.

Montana MOFO
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by CraigC
I shot Glocks for 15yrs before moving on. I've had my XD .45 for 8yrs now and it has never malfunctioned or given me any indication that it won't be as reliable as the Glocks I had. To my recollection, it has never been cleaned as has basically been a truck gun for all its life. I believe them to be a more refined and improved design over the Glock.

As I said, Glock does not have a monopoly on reliability.

I owned an XD and it was problem free as well.

How many rounds does yours have through it without cleaning?

Travis

Travis, what's your experience with M&Ps? Local one for sale cheap and I am a whore when it comes to inexpensive decent firearms.

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by pal
I don't get it, either.

After quite a bit of research I determined I should buy a Glock. Made a special trip to the GS just for that purpose. After handling what they had on display I left without making any purchase. To my hands, Glock has the most uncomfortable grip imaginable. Well, I suppose they could have made it worse if given enough time and money to do so.

A 1911 it isn't.

100% agree. I tried and tried to like glock but there is just nothing about it i like. Most uncomfortable gun i have ever held. The positive is and i will say they do make a reliable gun which is really all you can ask for. The glock 19 is probably the biggest seller of all time because it just works.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Not directed at anyone particularly but M&P's are an "improved" Sigma the cheap copy that Smith and Wesson used to replicate Glock.

Um, not quite. Apart from the fact that they're both poly/strikers, the M&P is a quite different design than the Sigma... by design.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Tarkio,

I got mine last September. I'd estimate it has quite a bit more than 500 and less than 1,000 right now.

No malfunctions thus far. I really do like the ergos of the weapon. They fit my hand very well. I typically get bit by a lot of autos but the M&P has never got me and likely never will. The slide is nice and low and for me it seems to rear up less than others. It's accurate, but in actual shooting I don't see any real difference from any other.

I do not like the way it field strips. There is a lever that needs to be accessed through the ejection port and flipped down with the slide locked to the rear and if you don't have a knife or something similar to get it flipped down, there is a tool inside the backstrap that slides out from the bottom. It's essentially just a pin. I think that would end up being a nightmare if it was an issued gun, that or a department would simply tell people to never use it. I had to clean it after the last time I had it out and I didn't like that either. But in its defense I didn't attempt just lubricating the slide and slapping it back together.

So, I like it. But it's going to have to see a lot more use before I have as much faith in it as a Glock or P2000.

Travis

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
IF I recall correctly, you can treat it like other poly/strikers and just pull the trigger to take it down if you don't want to muss with the lever. Of course, some frown upon that...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'll try that tonight.

I remember Ruger having a similar setup. I didn't like that either.

Travis

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
IF I recall correctly, you can treat it like other poly/strikers and just pull the trigger to take it down if you don't want to muss with the lever. Of course, some frown upon that...

Right, the lever is for cops, I guess:) and for Travis. My M&PL 9mm has about 7-8K rds through it. It has jammed a few times early on during 400rd afternoons shooting that cheap Estate [bleep]. It has also choked a couple of times when the gun was hot and the oil was long gone.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

Clear it, point it in a safe direction, pull the trigger.

There is a crescent-shaped recess on the left side of the slide, towards the muzzle. Retract the slide until that crescent is over the take-down lever. Rotate the lever 90. The gun has recocked itself at this point, squeeze the trigger again and remove the slide.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thanks TAK!

I never thought your vivid imagination could be useful. Guess I was wrong.

Travis

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I walked around the back of the house and put a half a box through it, 25 yds.

Interesting.

One stovepipe, no big deal.

I want to shoot it more. The 180 FMJ's I grabbed aren't what I'd likely use, so I guess I'll burn them up plinking.

Something clever here.

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10ring1, 1_deuce, 160user, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 64 invisible), 4,044 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,582
Posts18,532,275
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.