Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RemingtonRules
If you are looking for peer approval around this place you need to move on. Finicky bunch of girls around here that only like what they have in their model and caliber.

I guess I left High school years ago and do not care what others think.

Yes you do.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
HR IC

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you are looking for peer approval around this place you need to move on. Finicky bunch of girls around here that only like what they have in their model and caliber.

That's an interesting observation, coming from a new guy.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm a fan of both and something I've noticed.

On the bench Nulas will normally win the race. Off the bench it becomes much closer.

Like the Kimber trigger and safety much more than the Nula. You can look down into the safety cut of the Nula and see a little spring and there are more of them in there. Fine in nice weather not so much in bad. IMO a weak point re Nula design. However, nothing a now and then squirt of lighter fluid wouldn't
take care of for the most part. But when it goes bad it is a comparatively bigger problem.

I much prefer the Nula stock for fit than the Kimber. Some don't like the more curved grip of the Nula but I prefer it and for some reason the Nula stock seems to jump less off the bench and recoils less. The more curved grip allows the palm to absorb more of the recoil?

Took a Nula out of the safe last night and it is sweet. Grabbed a Kimber for comparison and there is not much to gripe about. Both are really nice.

Extended hard country/weather I'd take the Kimber. Here in Pa it is nice to have both.

Last edited by battue; 01/14/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Or Kimber thinking�"we need better barrels" smile

Yep, I think the Forbes is a Kimber wake up call.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by battue
Campfire observation:

Often mentioned that the lightweight Kimbers are fussy regarding ones technique. Yet with lightweight Nulas it is mentioned little.

Lightweight Kimbers tend to be load specific and lightweight Nulas shoot most any load well.

Seems like with the introduction of the Forbes rifle, we are hearing about less problems with Kimber accuracy. Coincidence?

For a $2,000-2,500 price difference between Kimbers and NULAs, there had better be a difference in quality and shoot-a-bility across the board. Add me to the list of folks who much prefer the action and safety of the Kimbers. Not to say I wouldn't own a NULA...I certainly would.

Last edited by richardca99; 01/14/14.

Chris
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by battue
I'm a fan of both and something I've noticed.

On the bench Nulas will normally win the race. Off the bench it becomes much closer.

Like the Kimber trigger and safety much more than the Nula. You can look down into the safety cut of the Nula and see a little spring and there are more of them in there. Fine in nice weather not so much in bad. IMO a weak point re Nula design. However, nothing a now and then squirt of lighter fluid wouldn't
take care of for the most part. But when it goes bad it is a comparatively bigger problem.

I much prefer the Nula stock for fit than the Kimber. Some don't like the more curved grip of the Nula but I prefer it and for some reason the Nula stock seems to jump less off the bench and recoils less. The more curved grip allows the palm to absorb more of the recoil?

Took a Nula out of the safe last night and it is sweet. Grabbed a Kimber for comparison and there is not much to gripe about. Both are really nice.

Extended hard country/weather I'd take the Kimber. Here in Pa it is nice to have both.

The ULA/NULA/Forbes safety/trigger bothers me. The gaping hole allowing access for crud to get down inside, and the safety itself moves such a short distance from safe to fire that I find myself constantly checking it to make sure it's "on safe".

I much prefer the Kimber in those aspects.

I prefer the Kimber grip. I find the ULA to be a bit too closed for my liking, though the stock design sure does a wonderful job of soaking up recoil.

Both great rifles. The ULA seems to be a really consistent shooter, but I've never had major troubles with the four Kimber 84Ms I've owned. I like them both!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I failed High school years ago and do not care what others think.
Ok

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

The ULA/NULA/Forbes safety/trigger bothers me. The gaping hole allowing access for crud to get down inside, and the safety itself moves such a short distance from safe to fire that I find myself constantly checking it to make sure it's "on safe".

I prefer the Kimber grip. I find the ULA to be a bit too closed for my liking.

I've never had major troubles with the four Kimber 84Ms I've owned.

I just knew you'd hate that .22 ULA. You're correct on all of the problems (cleaned up the points you didn't need). I'll get you my FFL's info for the .22. whistle

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The cut isn't the big part of the problem. Timney triggers are fine on the bench, but those little springs and close together sliding parts don't do them any favors when moisture finds its way inside and it can arrive in the bottom or from condensation.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I prefer the Kimber grip. I find the ULA to be a bit too closed for my liking.

I've never had major troubles with the four Kimber 84Ms I've owned.

I just knew you'd hate that .22 ULA. You're correct on all of the problems (cleaned up the points you didn't need). I'll get you my FFL's info for the .22. whistle

Ha! Well I'll let you know if I sell.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smokepole

Hard to argue with the guy though IMO.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
R
Originally Posted by smokepole

I do not post often but have been around since 2007

R
R
Originally Posted by slg888
I failed High school years ago and do not care what others think.
Ok

Exactly my point, I see your panties are already wadded.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I think Kimbers have become much more a known quantity--and some QC issues have been settled--so they get much less bandwidth. I do not think their fans are any less enthusiastic about them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've been thinking about a Kimber or a Forbes. In looking at the specs, it seems that a long action Forbes with a 24 inch barrel come in at 41.5 inches in overall length while a short action Kimber with a 22 inch barrel comes in at 41.25 inches in overall length. Is that right? Can someone who has handled both confirm that the Forbes action is that much shorter than the Kimber?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I'm a Kimber fan, but you'll see a bunch of Kimber Montana's for sale once the Forbes rifles are readily available in all stainless.

I certainly hope so. And I hope they'll be offered for a great price! I'll definitely be keeping my eyes on the Classifieds as I think I'm going to finally pick one or two up for myself, and see what all the fuss has been about. Hope they shoot! Fingers crossed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You'll hear more about the Forbes rifles in short order. Especially the 20B.

1. Melvin's actions are stronger.
2. The Forbes rifles utilize a #2 barrel contour.
3. Each action is individually bedded to the stock.
4. Melvin's stock is stiffer.
5. The 24B and 20B cost more than a Kimber, a true NULA is much more.

I'm a Kimber fan, but you'll see a bunch of Kimber Montana's for sale once the Forbes rifles are readily available in all stainless.

Isn't there some sort of issue with the stainless action Forbes not being completely stainless? I thought I remembered reading something about it, but can't seem to find anything through a search.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You'll hear more about the Forbes rifles in short order. Especially the 20B.

1. Melvin's actions are stronger.
2. The Forbes rifles utilize a #2 barrel contour.
3. Each action is individually bedded to the stock.
4. Melvin's stock is stiffer.
5. The 24B and 20B cost more than a Kimber, a true NULA is much more.

Isn't there some sort of issue with the stainless action Forbes not being completely stainless? I thought I remembered reading something about it, but can't seem to find anything through a search.
Hadn't heard that. However, their switch to a 2pos/2 fuction safety is not to my liking.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Found a post mentioning the stainless rifles still have a chrome moly bolt.
Lame.
Probably worth a call to Forbes to either confirm or deny.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hunterjrg
AB2506
You got pic of that varmint?

Oh yea save extra for your African trip. Everything costed me more than expected and good luck

[Linked Image]

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (35, 2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 16 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,961
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.