-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, the lever thingy is stupid. Lock the slide back, flip the lever, drop the slide, pull the trigger, slide the slide off.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Damn Dave! Stovepipe?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Average of two jams per box? Not bad. sick

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hey, we dont know that... yet.

lol.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It threw 22 of 26 empties where I expected them to go. It tossed 3 directly over the top of my head landing straight behind me and it stovepiped one.

I was like... ok, what ever.

Maybe it doesn't like the cold.

lol.

Something clever here.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
One stovepipe, no big deal.
That's impossible. You're obviously making that up. grin

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I gess I shooda took a picksher.

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Travis, what's your experience with M&Ps? Local one for sale cheap and I am a whore when it comes to inexpensive decent firearms.

Not Travis, but I make a good wing man. I've had a few M&Ps and have never had a malfunction in any of them. Ever. I ran one to 1300 rounds straight out of the box with just the factory grease. I have two more that I shoot in competition and at work that have a LOT and a few rounds through them. I don't remember the last time I cleaned the comp pistol, I just keep it lubed and shoot.

They haven't done anything revolutionary with reliability, but Glock certainly doesn't have the market cornered.

Parts and holsters are easy to find. Both versions of their magazines have been trouble free.

If I could find a fault it'd be with the finish, which needs a bit more attention than a Glock IME. I've had the slide release levers break off on a few pistols after time, I have no idea why and I don't know anybody else that it's happened to. The pistol still functions, just the exterior tab breaks off.

They're very easy to shoot and the triggers are better than when they first came out. APEX trigger kits are a cheap and easy upgrade if you really need a good trigger.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Another thing about M&P's. S&W has got the nitride thing nailed down. It works. An M&P has a nitrided STAINLESS STEEL slide. A Glock's slide is frickin' pot metal, once you cut through that Tenifer. Rumors abound about Glocks' new finish not being as good as it was....time will tell.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The XD and M&P haven't been around as long as Glock, but they have both proven themselves quite well. About the toughest environment for a handgun is the shooting schools. The XD and M&P both have a heavy presence at schools all over the country and have been holding up quite well; every bit as good as the Glock.

I consider all three to be pretty much equal; they're just different.
How do pre-83 S&W revolvers hold up in those schools?
The classes i took and taught in the early '90's were a mixed bag. The 39-2 was almost never a problem, but it wasnt uncommon to see 59's with malfunctions. Not saying they were all bad, but for some reason it seemed to have more problems than the 39. Still, you have to consider that the shooting schools are rather extreme tests. I've never heard of an instance where someone used a handgun that hard in combat. But it is reassuring to see your Roscoe hold up well under high round count.

These days, it would be rare to see one of the old S&W autos in one of the schools. Its even fairly uncommon to see the 3rd gen's these days.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Esox357
Not directed at anyone particularly but M&P's are an "improved" Sigma the cheap copy that Smith and Wesson used to replicate Glock. Glock sued Smith and Wesson over this (1994), hence the M&P series came about. I have used the M&P series after it was "forced" upon us by are bean counters. Luckily I only had to use it for 2 years. I can't say it was as reliable as a Glock but the trigger was "nicer". Don't even get me started on the Walther SW99!!

Learning to do the "Trigger Reset" Method for Glock will go a long way on shooting accurate with them for more "precise" shots. Google will probably have something on it, but after the first shot is "pressed" to the rear, you let your finger go about 1/4 forward with the trigger and you will "feel" the click and "hear" it most likely. At this point you merely "press" the trigger again since it has been reset and ready to fire, you wil not have the "staple gun" effect after the first round if you do this properly. Practice dry firing to perfect it?

Personally Smith and Wesson should have stuck with doing what they do best.......making revolvers!

Springfield jumped into the market and came up with a 1911/Glock hybrid. Some love them, I'm not one of them!

You just dont know what you're talking about. First odd, the newer Sigma's are VERY reliable pistols. Next, the M&P is just a different design that's all there is to it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can't prove it but I suspect S&W 59's few problems were related to bad magazines, just like GI Berettas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Tarkio,

I got mine last September. I'd estimate it has quite a bit more than 500 and less than 1,000 right now.

No malfunctions thus far. I really do like the ergos of the weapon. They fit my hand very well. I typically get bit by a lot of autos but the M&P has never got me and likely never will. The slide is nice and low and for me it seems to rear up less than others. It's accurate, but in actual shooting I don't see any real difference from any other.

I do not like the way it field strips. There is a lever that needs to be accessed through the ejection port and flipped down with the slide locked to the rear and if you don't have a knife or something similar to get it flipped down, there is a tool inside the backstrap that slides out from the bottom. It's essentially just a pin. I think that would end up being a nightmare if it was an issued gun, that or a department would simply tell people to never use it. I had to clean it after the last time I had it out and I didn't like that either. But in its defense I didn't attempt just lubricating the slide and slapping it back together.

So, I like it. But it's going to have to see a lot more use before I have as much faith in it as a Glock or P2000.

Travis
S&W did that to force the user to lock back the slide. There have been oodles of people who have shot themselves disassembling a Glock because they didnt have to open the slide. Admittedly its a hardware solution to a software problem, but the experiences with Glocks in service ha shown that to be a very consistent issue. I found i could get my pinky finger in to push it down. Honestly, i think makers of trigger cocking pistols could make it where you dont have to pull the trigger to disassemble. To require a trigger pull to take the gun down is just a dumb idea. Still, at the end of the day, someone who cant rber to check his gun before pulling the trigger is an accident waiting to happen anyhow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I can't prove it but I suspect S&W 59's few problems were related to bad magazines, just like GI Berettas.
Me too.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Travis, what's your experience with M&Ps? Local one for sale cheap and I am a whore when it comes to inexpensive decent firearms.

Not Travis, but I make a good wing man. I've had a few M&Ps and have never had a malfunction in any of them. Ever. I ran one to 1300 rounds straight out of the box with just the factory grease. I have two more that I shoot in competition and at work that have a LOT and a few rounds through them. I don't remember the last time I cleaned the comp pistol, I just keep it lubed and shoot.

They haven't done anything revolutionary with reliability, but Glock certainly doesn't have the market cornered.

Parts and holsters are easy to find. Both versions of their magazines have been trouble free.

If I could find a fault it'd be with the finish, which needs a bit more attention than a Glock IME. I've had the slide release levers break off on a few pistols after time, I have no idea why and I don't know anybody else that it's happened to. The pistol still functions, just the exterior tab breaks off.

They're very easy to shoot and the triggers are better than when they first came out. APEX trigger kits are a cheap and easy upgrade if you really need a good trigger.

Thanks, Mav.

(Virtual ass slap)

Iceman

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Did you know they put a go pro cam on a hula hoop for a Dallas cowboys cheerleader photo shoot?

Now THAT, is brilliant!

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The XD and M&P haven't been around as long as Glock, but they have both proven themselves quite well. About the toughest environment for a handgun is the shooting schools. The XD and M&P both have a heavy presence at schools all over the country and have been holding up quite well; every bit as good as the Glock.

I consider all three to be pretty much equal; they're just different.
How do pre-83 S&W revolvers hold up in those schools?
The classes i took and taught in the early '90's were a mixed bag. The 39-2 was almost never a problem, but it wasnt uncommon to see 59's with malfunctions. Not saying they were all bad, but for some reason it seemed to have more problems than the 39. Still, you have to consider that the shooting schools are rather extreme tests. I've never heard of an instance where someone used a handgun that hard in combat. But it is reassuring to see your Roscoe hold up well under high round count.

These days, it would be rare to see one of the old S&W autos in one of the schools. Its even fairly uncommon to see the 3rd gen's these days.
I asked about revolvers.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Did you know they put a go pro cam on a hula hoop for a Dallas cowboys cheerleader photo shoot?

Now THAT, is brilliant!

I'm not making this up.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have personally had and have seen firsthand Glock 22's with parts breakages. Extractors, one ejector, front factory night sights coming loose and one with a badly bulged barrel. My experience with riding herd on a couple dozen department issued G22's actually soured me on the .40 S&W cartridge. Just don't care for it, figure I can do well enough with either the 9mm or the .45 ACP with fewer problems. With that said I did just buy a Glock 20 10mm for a woods bumming gun. Kinda hard to beat that easy carrying package of 16 rounds of 220 gr. hard cast at 1,250 fps in brushy hog country.

My plastic pistol of choice is the M&P. I have two and my son has one, all 9mm guns. They have been excellent in every respect. I have several thousand assorted rounds through each of mine with zero issues. I do keep mine pretty clean and well maintained. My son on the other hand has about three thousand rounds of everything he can find to shoot through his without cleaning the dang thing. I swear he would load up with lit cigarette butts if they would fire and not run so much as a wet patch through the bore or spit on the slide rails for lubrication. I don't know if he is doing that for some purpose or reason or simply because he knows it drives me crazy. His friend has an XD that must be a bad one because he has had several issues with it. Off the top of my head I can't recall the troubles but my son mentioned his friend was going to trade it off soon.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deflave
There is no magic in any handgun.

Travis

I strongly disagree. These are pure magic. I hate plastic pos pistols as well:

[Linked Image]

Hell, even this one is better than a plastic glock:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1_deuce, 160user, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 3,038 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,579
Posts18,532,222
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.