Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
I just received my Council Tool Velvicut Hundson Bay Ax.

First impression is there is a lot to like.

Blade profile is going to make it more effective for splitting than the GD Small Forest Ax or Scandinavian Forest Ax, yet it should still cut well.

The edge defiantly needs some work, It would be fine as a splitter but is nothing like the way most GB's come. No problem there though.

The handle seems a little thin for my hands, especially compared with the GB's. But that is a first impression with out actually using it.

The sheath is a very well crafted leather, top load. For frequent use, I think I would find it unhandy and heavier than necessary, so I will be forming a Kydex sheath right away.

It is a very well made tool and I am looking forward to putting it to some use.

I ordered it through Wood & Metal in Tacoma, WA.
Their service was excellent, their price competitive and shipping was a flat rate of $6.95

http://www.woodandmetal.com/

More to follow after some use.

Ed T

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of my hunting partners has that same axe, the Council Hudson Bay axe. He's used it prodigiously for more than two years in elk, deer, and bear hunting camps, plus camping with his wife and kids. He really likes it.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think we need another axe thread laugh

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Somebody needs to buy a Wetterlings Bushman.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Ed_T
I just received my Council Tool Velvicut Hundson Bay Ax.

First impression is there is a lot to like.

Blade profile is going to make it more effective for splitting than the GD Small Forest Ax or Scandinavian Forest Ax, yet it should still cut well.

The edge defiantly needs some work, It would be fine as a splitter but is nothing like the way most GB's come. No problem there though.

The handle seems a little thin for my hands, especially compared with the GB's. But that is a first impression with out actually using it.

The sheath is a very well crafted leather, top load. For frequent use, I think I would find it unhandy and heavier than necessary, so I will be forming a Kydex sheath right away.

It is a very well made tool and I am looking forward to putting it to some use.

I ordered it through Wood & Metal in Tacoma, WA.
Their service was excellent, their price competitive and shipping was a flat rate of $6.95

http://www.woodandmetal.com/

More to follow after some use.

Hello Ed, glad you like what you see so far of the Velvicut. Mine was used when I got it and I really had to work on the edge to get it where I liked it. I still can't get it sharp like my Wetterlings, but it really holds it's edge. I guess a little reprofiling with a belt sander would make it a fantastic chopper as well as a splitter.

The handle was from what I understand,intentionally designed with the thin grip as it is supposed to have some give to relieve hand shock. The sheath is nice but I like a simple mask myself. I hope you enjoy it.

IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I just received mine. It is a pig. I want to see how it performs before passing judgement though. It should split fantastic.

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by NYStillHunter
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I just received mine. It is a pig. I want to see how it performs before passing judgement though. It should split fantastic.

Not the best first impression I guess smile

Ed T

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm no axe guru, but I do know a bit about sharpening knives, by that I mean I can get a decent edge by hand. I recently aquired a GB Wildlife Hatchet that came quite sharp, and a Husqvarna Forest Axe that was less than sharp. I pulled out my Worksharp and worked them both with the green/coarse belt, followed by the, brown, then the purple belts. Not quite shaving sharp, but they'll curl up a fingernail shaving quite easily. Quite functional edges QUICKLY. The edge appears to be fairly durable, as the belt "bows" and produces a convex edge.

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Well, I spent about 45 minutes on the Velvicut edge today. Clamped it to the work bench and did a bit of filing to thin the edge, then polished that up with three different diamond stones, finished it on some 1500 grit on a marble top and then on the buffing wheel. It is now as sharp as a straight razor.

This evening, I formed a Coyote brown Kydex sheath for it and will apply either linseed oil or spar varnish to the handle.

Me thinks, I am really going to like this ax.

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DAYAAAAM!!!

All I've ever done on axes is use a metal file, sweeping the tail of the file over the edge through the stroke to maintain the convex shape of the grind (or make one.) I'll give you a hint... Files from Portugal are what Swedish files were 15 years ago.

Then I jump on a puck stone and finesse the grind until it'd stick to a finger nail
(one of these, so you don't cut your fingers off)
[Linked Image]

Then, I'll stick a 500 grit flapwheel in a die grinder to give it the factory un-[bleep]-up GB look.

But then I can use the company Grinding Room on my time whenever I want.

I'm Irish...

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I figured you were a "river rock" guy Dan:)

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Here is the Velvicut with it's new Kydex sheath:

[Linked Image]

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thought I'd toss this out there since its a Velvicut thread. I fashioned the strap from an old "Hunter" brand 1 inch leather rifle sling. I ran the strap through the openings at the top of the sheath and doubled it back through the strap keeper at the poll. On the other end is a Michaels QD sling swivel that clips to the D-ring. I split the strap so it would wrap around and "keep" the handle approx. 2/3 of the way up the handle. I fashioned it after seeing one that Steven Watts had made though I opted to split the strap as shown instead of on the other end of the strap where it connects to the poll end of the sheath. It carries better this way for me and the axe tucks behind me when I throw the strap over my shoulder or crossed over my chest. The QD swivel makes fastening/attaching or lashing it to a pack or canoe easier and helps avoid losing it should you flip your boat.
I would imagine that someone that's pretty handy at weaving paracord could fashion a nice one too...........

BD

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Finally had a chance to put the Velvicut to use. It chops like a champ. The blade is thin enough to take healthy bites out of a tree. And when it comes to splitting, I was really amazed at how well it did. It splits like a much heavier ax. I was splitting beetle killed lodgepole that was real knotty and the performance was simply outstanding. For making kindling, this tool is unsurpassed.
The Velvicut splits much better than either the GB Small Forest Ax or the GB Scandinavian Forest Ax. In fact the only GB I have used that splits as well is my Small Splitting Ax which has a much more wedge shaped head.
My first impression that the handle was a bit too thin didn't hold true in field use.

Dan, you need a Velvicut. You can thank me later smile

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good friend gave me one of these for Christmas. Other than tinkering with it and tweaking the edge, I haven't had a chance to use it yet. What a well made tool. Beautiful almost. I like the slender handle, but wouldn't mind if it was a few inches longer.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Council builds good axes and for those that want the pickup model vs the Ferrari they make a standard Hudson Bay pattern without the bling and so far the best price I've seen comes from the Peavey co.

http://peaveymfg.com/products-axes-hudson $45.49 for the 28" handled Hudson Bay pattern.

I have two, one I've been using for final splitting/kindling making( 10-15 cords) before the wood goes into the house and for cutting any medium sized trees that need to be removed, for over 3 years. It's worked extremely well. Holds an edge and cuts way over its wt... And the grain in the handle that is totally wrong, ie perpendicular to the edge, has been beaten hard all these years with nary a crack or split.

Last edited by SBTCO; 01/28/14.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ed_T

Dan, you need a Velvicut. You can thank me later smile

You're evil, and what's weigh?

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was seriously toying with the idea of a Wetterlings Fine Foresters Axe.

But then we just got some bad news at work. 30 hour weeks until after spring break up is over.... No logs, bad roads, and a stack of OT I've been banking means I'll be doing a lot of F'ing off with the toys I already have.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If someone really wants a longer handle and is of a mind to replace the original, the longer Council Tool replacement handle that fits the "standard" HB axe is offered in an "A" grade and will fit the Velvicut HB's eye. I think they are around $30.........
Hope this helps,
BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BlackDog1,

That thought had occurred to me... wink My 'dealer' will be getting a call. Anyways, I want one of the Dayton Pattern Boy's Axes too. Had a chance to use that one briefly a week or so ago and it's a sweetheart.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,194
Posts18,503,541
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.