Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
got a bunch of antlers that have bee on the roof of the wood shed for years. They are weathered and moldy, grayed out and cracked some. I realize they cant be made new but would like to breathe some new life in them to mount and display in the new deer camp. Any solution to soak them in?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dont have an answer, but am tagging this post to see what a good answer is! Good luck with the project!

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
shoe polish will help.

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure what best fills in the cracks, but I've "browned" a few horns with whatever they rub on, around here it's usually cedar.

I spray the horn with aerosol contact cement, let it get tacky and rub the horn with short pieces.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure what best fills in the cracks, but I've "browned" a few horns with whatever they rub on, around here it's usually cedar.

I spray the horn with aerosol contact cement, let it get tacky and rub the horn with short pieces.

Taxidermists have a paste for filling cracks.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Taxidermy supply houses have materials both for filling the cracks and for restoring color.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Tag this one as well. Have a dead buck on my property that was found in my pond and drug to shore to rot. Guessing the antlers are bleached out if the squirrels haven't gotten them

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I read several years ago that potassium permanganate would darken antlers nicely. I never had the need to do it, but I kept the info fresh in my brain, just in case I needed it.

Anyway, you might give it a try.

By the way, potassium permanganate is incredibly useful in the bush. use it for infections, steriiizing water and (especially) starting a fire ... just a little added to a few drops glycerine (brake fluid or antifreeze works) and you have an incredible reaction that starts a fire when other methods are not possible.

Anyway, I always carry some potassium permanganate and fluid in my pack.

I bought my last supply from Lowes, but Amazon carries it as well.

kd

PS. Below is a video on using potassium permanganate for starting a fire. Be prepared to say "Well, I'll be damned!!!"

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I Googled "darken deer antlers" and came up with a source on Taxidermy Net" and several other sources Indeed, potassium permanganate IS the preferred agent for darkening antlers.

kd

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/BeginnersArticles/03/c/03BF3D31EF.html

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
They have moss and mold on them now, i guess bleach water and a brush, then let dry and try the PP?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've rubbed some minwax pecan satin poly-stain on a set that i let get sun bleached. They looked pretty damn awesome to me. Still do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have restored color on a few bleached out racks by using a wood stain. Wipe on with a cloth until I get the darkness desired and when dry wipe on a coat of boiled linseed oil. Sometimes I do a second coat.

Here is an example. I tacked this Mule deer rack on an overhead pole of a gate entrance and after a few years I redid the fence and gate system without an overhead pole.

Walnut stain and boiled linseed oil.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
I've rubbed some minwax pecan satin poly-stain on a set that i let get sun bleached. They looked pretty damn awesome to me. Still do.

I hear you wax off all the time

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
I have restored color on a few bleached out racks by using a wood stain. Wipe on with a cloth until I get the darkness desired and when dry wipe on a coat of boiled linseed oil. Sometimes I do a second coat.

Here is an example. I tacked this Mule deer rack on an overhead pole of a gate entrance and after a few years I redid the fence and gate system without an overhead pole.

Walnut stain and boiled linseed oil.

[Linked Image]

Wayne, that looks pretty-danged-nice!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. The cleanup and placement of the horns in the cabin is a show of respect for the old buck from which they came.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Put them in the dishwasher on the top rack and run a pots and pans cycle.
When done pretty them cool to room temp.
Use min wax brand wood putty to fill the cracks. A chopstick split long ways works best. Let the fill dry for a couple days then spray the horns with cheap furniture polish and tie them up tight in a black trash bag.
After a few days remove them and run down with a rag. Off you want them darker user a light coat of liquid darkening furniture polish.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
This starts off a bit off topic, but it comes together. I have a new European mount with antlers that smell like crap. This may be due to the deer feeding regularly in a field that is used by cattle - I suspect he may have bedded with his antlers in manure. I already washed them down with oil soap, the odor is reduced, but still definitely there.

SO, what to do? Any ideas how to get rid of the smell? Maybe peroxide?

Anyhow, I suspect the "cure" may result in decolorized antlers, and need wood stain or such down the line.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Try the dishwasher.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used a combination of walnut stain and brown/black shoe polish and they came out very natural looking. In fact I had a local taxidermist ask me do some of his bleached out racks. Pretty quick and easy. Tom

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Try Briwax....google it up. It's a waxy/paste like stain. Know a number of folks who use this that are in the restoration business w/antler products and it works like magic! Comes in several colors. I use dark oak and it matches perfectly.

Super easy to put on, and you rub off excess.....look like they just been shed.

You can thank me later

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,964
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.