Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Beginning to plan a plains game safari there - was thinking late June. Wondering if that is too early?

GB1

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Late June is perfect.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mebbe October. Snakes will be about.

Black Olives Matter!!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
June-July-early August

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
June-July-early August

THIS. October wil be HOT

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Agree with ingwe and jorgeI

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been in late April and in late June into July. I much prefer the June/July times. The weather was fine in April, but there was still a lot of vegetation that was tough to spot game through.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's what I was looking for - thanks guys - sounds like mid june to mid july is right on the money.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
3 more surgeries and I am going to be planning to go. Thanks for the information.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I was there is August once ( a sample of one) and weather etc. was good, but the wind was wonky, kept changing�screwed up a few hunts. Mighta just been the luck of the draw, or it might be an 'August' thing...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
August brings wind every year and hopefully lots of it so we can have good rain for that season. Wind applies for both SA and Zim.

July would be my pick.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
a good question is what is your main animal you are going after.
April is a little early for Kudu and Eland. However most plains game will be available.
May the smaller Kudu bulls will be with the cows and for eland you will have to work. other PG will be available.

End of may and June the big Kudu bulls will be with the cows and eland bulls will be about and about. other PG will be available.

July - August you will have reduced foliage and you will have to hunt for the big Kudu and Eland bulls and the Other plains game will be available.

September, you will be looking hard for the big Kudu and elands bulls. and the other PG will be available.

October - November is doable and you will work for your trophy's

Originally Posted by 10generation
Beginning to plan a plains game safari there - was thinking late June. Wondering if that is too early?

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pieter is the best resource for this question

Nobody has more days year round in the bush here to provide a better opinion

I have had windy days and storms across the board. I've never noticed one month worse. May and June are the typical peak months of hunting.

However I have had lots of hunters in July and August. Much of those choices come down to vacation season in the USA as much as anything else.

Snow in Limpopo is rare to almost non existent but I've seen it twice now. So no matter what you plan weird weather just happens. Playing the odds May could have a last fling of rain and ruin the trip, June is about as safe as it gets, July the days are getting longer, nice to hunt til pushing 7pm every day rather then 6 pm in June.

Gotta go with Pieter, July has a lot going for it. Almost no water on the ground concentrating many species to the remaining pans in the bush too

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
May 15, 2013
[Linked Image]
92x91

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've also had good hunting there in September
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

May thru October is usually good.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You got a 90 pounder in ZIM? laugh laugh

Veddy Veddy cool! cool

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes, I was there the week Bobby was leaving, and saw the carcass. As I remember, it was 91-92 before drying. I took this guy right afterwards.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Biebs; 01/31/14.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dats a gnarly looking old big�lots of character!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great looking trophies, gentlemen.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I hunted buffalo in Zimbabwe in the area just across the river from Kruger in February with my father in 2012. Due to work considerations, that was the only time we could get enough time off to go. We were both successful and took two very nice buffalo trophies, but I would not recommend going that time of year if you can help it.

The outfitter made expectations clear to us before the hunt that it was going to be very hot, humid, and was going to rain several times over the course of the hunt. While we were there, temperatures varied between 85-113 degrees Fahrenheit.

One advantage of going that time of year is that we were the first clients of that hunting year, so none of the animals had experienced any hunting pressure to speak of in the previous few months. The outfitter worked hard for us and we were ultimately very successful, we just had to work our tails off.

It is absolutely possible to have a great safari like we did by going on a very early or very late season hunt, but just make sure you know what you are getting into and can handle the conditions.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I hunted the Zambezi Valley once in September and another time in early to mid May. Good results each time.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.