-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Need a inexpensive barrel extension or muzzle break to make 14" into a 16" barrel so it will be legal as a carbine. Could even be a flash suppressor.

You guys know of a source?

Tracy

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remember that it needs to be permanently fixed to the barrel. Ross Schuler used to do nice ones for the 'tender and Encore, but I just checked his site and see that he no longer does them for these barrels.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by selmer
Remember that it needs to be permanently fixed to the barrel. Ross Schuler used to do nice ones for the 'tender and Encore, but I just checked his site and see that he no longer does them for these barrels.

Yes I understand, and thanks wink

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Gary Reeder makes a brake, and some say it's a good one. Don't know how much they cost, his web site would tell you.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Gary Reeder makes a brake, and some say it's a good one. Don't know how much they cost, his web site would tell you.

Yea I am trying to do something cheeper

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not caring too much about a brake but the extension, threaded and red locktightened to the barrel should be reasonable... especially as the carbine length barrels dry up.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Dont think it can be lock tight as it has to be permanent like a weld or pressed on to be legal, I got a message from a new guy here on the fire and I think I am going to try what he said, here is his message:

(I assume this is a 14" heavy barrel. I just extended a 14" SS barrel using a piece of 7/8" SS tubing .035" wall thickness. I bought a 12" piece from McMaster Carr for $14 or less. I cut this into 2 6" pieces and cleaned up the ends. My barrel miked .810 on the muzzle end and the tubing miked .805 inside. Using a piece of threaded rod 3/8" with nuts and washers on each end I pulled the tubing onto the barrel until it covered the sight screw holes. I then buffed the SS with fine scotch brite until it matched the barrel. Removal will require machine work as it is extremely tight. You need to use the appropriate size threaded rod to fit inside the barrel. Hope this helps.)

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That's the best idea I've heard this week! Sounds like we have a new CONTRIBUTING member.

Welcome aboard, whoever you are.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think I would cover the threaded rod to protect the barrel.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hogeye
That's the best idea I've heard this week! Sounds like we have a new CONTRIBUTING member.

Welcome aboard, whoever you are.

It was a member named lowallman, he has 0 posts and registered 12/20/13

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I'm guessing you could use some electrical heat shrink tubing on the threaded rod to protect the inside of the barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not even close to what is required by BATF.

Here is the paragraph from the ATF

"The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100�F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured."

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tracy,
The best deal goin' right now is David White @ D&T Precision Gunworks. In fact he's got a special on right now:
http://www.dandtcustomgunworks.websitetoolbox.com/post/muzzle-brakes-6692356
He does excellent work. I've got quite a few of his 'maximizers'.
Jimmy

...making America shoot straight again.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 14" barrel extended by Dave White and it is a nice piece of work.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
This might be the answer to my 35 Remington search. I've seen a couple 15" barrels, but no 16"s. Hmm....

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I contacted Choate a few years back. They at one time sold a Barrel extension for Contenders. At the time They no longer cataloged it but when I talked to the fellow there he still had some in the shop. Like other said it is suppose to be welded on to be legal. I never could bring myself around to ruining the finish of my gun. I never felt that I would be checked by a BATF agent while out hunting and I doubt a local rabbit sheriff would know the difference. Just call me an outlaw. lol

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had the Choate extension referred to by 348w on a couple of barrels ... ugly!! Ruined bluing. Unless reblued after application they look BAD! The cheapest I've ever had a barrel extended to qualify for buttstock use was a gunsmith in Christiansburg, VA (Bud's Guns)for $105. Picked out a Gentry "Quiet" brake from his Brownell's catalog, he threaded & pinned it on a super 14 45-70 bbl... but that was in 1998! D&T Custom Gunworks would be today's best bet unless you can find your own shop to do it for you. Good Luck in your pursuits.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tracy,
A guy on PeeBay listed a stock set and barrel extender titled listing as: Thompson Contender Center Stock With 2" Extender Flash Suppressor. You don't find these Choate brakes everyday.
I don't know if they were caliber specific, this guy was gonna put it on his .223. It is unattached and ready to install.
They get ugly tho when the welding gets all the bluing in the area all frosted. Ugly, I tell ya'! But check it out. It is a rare opportunity to view one of these old-school thing-a-ma-bobs!
Jimmy

Last edited by gemihur; 01/24/14. Reason: Spelling,Torrey

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (257 mag, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 16 invisible), 1,714 guests, and 999 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.