Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Do any of you collect classic cars to hold or tinker with and sell when you retire? Sort of like part of a retirement type fund instead of investing it all in the stock markets? If so post up some pictures of your investments.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stumpman
Do any of you collect classic cars to hold or tinker with and sell when you retire? Sort of like part of a retirement type fund instead of investing it all in the stock markets? If so post up some pictures of your investments.

I have a 65 Mustang convertible and 2007 Saleen 281SC I will eventually sell.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll probably sell this one this summer. 56 Eldorado Seville with 54000 actual on it. All original.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I might sell a 2012 Toyota Tacoma. Money in the bank...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 41 year old car, it has absorbed more money than I will ever get out of it. Its a toy, not an investment.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

1962 Austin Healey 3000 Saxon, but I don't think I'm going to sell it, my grandson covets it.

I am not ppine, please don't confuse me with him....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am going to be buried in mine. So I guess the return will be negative as it will only save the price of a casket.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No cars to speak of, do a couple of old Airstreams count?

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
No cars to speak of, do a couple of old Airstreams count?

Got pics?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Seems like when I was a kid everyone drove classic cars.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ain't that the truth. For me, starting with the 55 chevy up to and including the 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner Hemi 426.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
Seems like when I was a kid everyone drove classic cars.

And owned classic/collector guns.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't get them to sell/pay for retirement - kept one a long time and then got more to enjoy during retirement - if ever I fully do so. Here are a couple of the many here - they are just for fun.

69 Chev K20
[Linked Image]

67 Corvette Stingray
[Linked Image]

52 Mack LTL
[Linked Image]

68 Chev K20 Suburban
[Linked Image]

70 Chev C30
[Linked Image]

Our travelin' rig 72 Chev C30
[Linked Image]

- - - and so forth. Lovin' old Chev and GMC trucks

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Porkypine
[Linked Image]

1962 Austin Healey 3000 Saxon, but I don't think I'm going to sell it, my grandson covets it.

Few people even know what that car is. Giving it to a grandson is one way to dispose of it, but selling it to me would make even more people happy. How much you want???

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
Didn't get them to sell/pay for retirement - kept one a long time and then got more to enjoy during retirement - if ever I fully do so. Here are a couple of the many here - they are just for fun.

69 Chev K20
[Linked Image]

67 Corvette Stingray
[Linked Image]

52 Mack LTL
[Linked Image]

68 Chev K20 Suburban
[Linked Image]

70 Chev C30
[Linked Image]

Our travelin' rig 72 Chev C30
[Linked Image]

- - - and so forth. Lovin' old Chev and GMC trucks

So CCCC, how did you end up with such a sweet fleet? Inquiring minds want to know.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Cool car...
Originally Posted by Porkypine
[Linked Image]

Same problem with my grandson and this one. 3-1/2 yrs old and he has to go for a ride every time he's here. Retirement investment was never a consideration - just a toy to enjoy and I do drive it quite a bit.

[Linked Image][/URL]

Last edited by JGray; 01/27/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OrangeOkie - I was fairly poor but in 1971 I sold my TR3A, scraped together some cash and bought the 67 Corvette, probably at the bottom of its value, and have driven it ever since.

In the early 80s we got a 72 4wd Suburban to haul the kids to the snow and found out what a great truck it was - so I got interested in the 67-72 Chev and GMC trucks and started looking for good rust-free individuals that had some interesting aspects. The first after that was a 72 Blazer that has been my hunting rig since 1986.

Later we moved to the forest and I then I could make some garage space, so things grew from there. There are a lot of old trucks here. The Mack is another story.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Several years ago a friend in Colorado restored a Mack that looked a lot like yours but I don't remember any of the particulars.

Very nice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
great thread, I don't, but I've a pard that has a shop out in North Pole and he has around a dozen old classics

last one I saw was a 36 Plymouth coupe all original, sweet old car, he's always been a mechanic, single guy and he probably has a dozen of them.

he's got a decent retirement from the city out there, does some heavy equipment work in the summer now that he's retired, but I've always felt like he's made a great case for his autos.

instead of investing in the market he invested money and time in to those old classics, says he enjoys fixing them and driving them when the weather is nice

figure he's got roughly quarter to a half million dollars worth of cars out there and he's enjoyed his investments more than he would have managing a portfolio

makes sense to me,

knew a guy (not real well) a long time ago that was doing the same with exotics, or so he said, but he always struck me as a bit of a bs'er

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
great thread, I don't, but I've a pard that has a shop out in North Pole and he has around a dozen old classics - - figure he's got roughly quarter to a half million dollars worth of cars out there and he's enjoyed his investments more than he would have managing a portfolio

I've heard of fellows doing this and it's interesting. Even though there are quite a number here, this whole bunch is not worth anything like what you are seeing up there. I'm not into restoration - just get 'em nice and running well and enjoy them. They are just old trucks, and it will be great if my family can get out of them what I have in them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (2ndwind, 280rem_cm, 270wsmnutt, 300jimmy, 345dl, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 1,753 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,154
Posts18,523,401
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.