Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Buzz
Originally Posted by eh76

Uh that was here this morning....with a little fresh snow on top of it...my wife drives 50 miles to work wink What I bolded in your post is comedic..people crash, wreck, get stuck because of their own stupidity...simple as that. Laws of physics haven't changed since the beginning of time. Armchair quarterbacking? You are a part time comedian ? Don't give up your day job......

So you drove on a crowded interstate with 1.5 million other cars this morning trying to get home so their kids aren't trapped at school or alone mostly in passenger cars with summer tires? Sorry - I call bullshit on that...

Sorry I can't fix their stupidity....laws of physics haven't changed since the dawn of time. wink call all the bs you want but be prepared to eat it

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Porkypine
I haven't heard anybody mention sand and salt? You don't plow ice, you sprinkle sand and salt on it.....

salt is only to keep the sand pile from freezing wink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Right hand on the wheel at the 2:00 position, left hand at the 10:00, death grip on the seat. Touch the break or hit the jake and you are done driving, maybe forever. When the drivers start to slip feather the accelerator and pray it straightens out.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by byc
You absolutely had to be here to actually appreciate the severity. It was literally a sheet of ice and gridlock. I know folks at Blue who didn't get home for 24 hours and many who actually slept in their cars.

Just think millions of fair weather folks dropped into the North Pole with their cars and SUV's. shocked

Plows were of no use. If anything, they made it worse.

So youse guys don't know the coefficient of friction reduces with ice? smile Uh that was here this morning....with a little fresh snow on top of it...my wife drives 50 miles to work shocked Neanderthals....

It weren't that bubba!!! crazy Nothing was even moving!!! I bet you western hillbillies ain't never even seen gridlock huh? I know people who were pizzed 'cos they wrecked trying to get to Waffle House. Purty sure that's what started it all. laugh

Good to see ya back Keith!!

BTW this thing happened way outside of Atlanta. I was half way to ATL from South Carolina and hit the madness. I shot the median and went back home....just as your wife would have smartly done!! grin

Last edited by byc; 01/30/14.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
I do know what the hell I am talking about. Been there, done that, lived to tell about it.
My truck on the Crowsnest Pass. Google it.
[Linked Image]

Hey Scott - some photos - some country - some ice. Glad that was you and not me brother.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Uh that was here this morning....with a little fresh snow on top of it...my wife drives 50 miles to work wink What I bolded in your post is comedic..people crash, wreck, get stuck because of their own stupidity...simple as that. Laws of physics haven't changed since the beginning of time. Armchair quarterbacking? You are a part time comedian ? Don't give up your day job......

So you drove on a crowded interstate with 1.5 million other cars this morning trying to get home so their kids aren't trapped at school or alone mostly in passenger cars with summer tires? Sorry - I call bullshit on that...

Sorry I can't fix their stupidity....laws of physics haven't changed since the dawn of time. wink call all the bs you want but be prepared to eat it

So what's your suggestion, just stay in the city and say to hell with your kids - just let them fend for themselves 30 miles away for three days until it thaws out?

Even if your are the best driver in the world (which perhaps you are no sarcasm intended) it's going to be hard for you to get anywhere when every road you can take is at a dead stop with gridlock.

How would you navigate such a snarl, and once you get off the highway it's going to look much the same. The particular road in this picture looked much the same at 2am as it did when this picture was taken.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by byc
You absolutely had to be here to actually appreciate the severity. It was literally a sheet of ice and gridlock. I know folks at Blue who didn't get home for 24 hours and many who actually slept in their cars.

Just think millions of fair weather folks dropped into the North Pole with their cars and SUV's. shocked

Plows were of no use. If anything, they made it worse.

So youse guys don't know the coefficient of friction reduces with ice? smile Uh that was here this morning....with a little fresh snow on top of it...my wife drives 50 miles to work shocked Neanderthals....

It weren't that bubba!!! crazy Nothing was even moving!!! I bet you western hillbillies ain't never even seen gridlock huh? I know people who were pizzed 'cos they wrecked trying to get to Waffle House. Purty sure that's what started it all. laugh

Good to see ya back Keith!!

Wife had to drive around a semi rollover this morning that blocked both lanes...idiots that can't drive are generally in the ditch here. wink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CCCC

Hey Scott - some photos - some country - some ice. Glad that was you and not me brother.

I am glad I am retired. Son was hanging iron to cross Snoqualmie night before last but he got lucky on the way back and they pulled the chain restrictions just as he hit the chain up lot. He drove right across and made it back to Caldwell, ID without any problems. I was warm and tucked between the flannel sheets wen he was out playing in the slop. I didn't miss it at all. smile

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

So what's your suggestion, just stay in the city and say to hell with your kids - just let them fend for themselves 30 miles away for three days until it thaws out?

Even if your are the best driver in the world (which perhaps you are no sarcasm intended) it's going to be hard for you to get anywhere when every road you can take is at a dead stop with gridlock.

How would you navigate such a snarl, and once you get off the highway it's going to look much the same. The particular road in this picture looked much the same at 2am as it did when this picture was taken.
[Linked Image]

Stupid hurts...can't help ya there. As I said the rules of physics haven't changed since time started. IF ya can't help yourself why should someone else help your dumbass out? That is the problem with this world everyone wants help out of the predicament they got themselves into. You depend on someone else...I'll keep my own ass out of trouble. Have a good day. No sarcasm at all in this post.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
One rule, not yet mentioned - turn OFF the cruise control!
I've driven on ice more times than I care to remember.
I've hit the ditch, both unintentionally, and intentionally to miss some fool doing something wrong.
I've seen the wind at Walsenburg, CO lay over a semi doing about 5mph (trying his BEST to get off I25, and park into the wind)
I once saw the wind blow a parked rig onto the shoulder (driver stopped on ice)
When ice is involved indoors is the place to be, whenever possible!
(Spectators aren't hurt nearly as often as participants)

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
agreed

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Scott;
I hope this finds you and yours doing well so far this year.

When we first met as I recall you were running that rig up and back on the Anarchist, correct?

It's not the 7% grade on ice that's so bad there, it's the fog so thick you can't see the road..... frown

My hat is off to you and any other truck driver who can negotiate some of our passes in winter.

All the best to you and yours sir, we'll have to catch up sometime.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Stupid hurts...can't help ya there. As I said the rules of physics haven't changed since time started. IF ya can't help yourself why should someone else help your dumbass out? That is the problem with this world everyone wants help out of the predicament they got themselves into. You depend on someone else...I'll keep my own ass out of trouble. Have a good day. No sarcasm at all in this post.

I can't say I've ever met a decent person that find humor in elementary school kids getting panicked and stuck on buses while their parents are coming unglued because they were stuck in utter gridlock trying to get to them. But hey if it's not you or your kids, eff em - right?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

I appreciate how dangerous that is, as well for folks not accustomed to driving in those conditions.

There's ice, and then there is slick ice!

Put an inch of 35* rain on that ice and you'll find out what we've been dealing with for the last month.

Polar vortex works 2 ways!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's all about the Kids. grin

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 1minute
20 foot storm surge for size

Went out of Homer halibut fishing during one of those. Only two boats left the harbor that day. We made it to the grounds, the captain announced our arrival, and then noted that we would not be staying. Amazing what a boat can get through.

Probably a 20' tide change. Storm surge is different.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Probably a 20' tide change. Storm surge is different.

Whatever it was it came with 50-60 mph winds and a driving rain. I think the tides can do 20 ft up there on a calm day. The boat did a lot of surfing on the way back in. We were most definitely not on autopilot.

As to ice: Good hard frozen ice is a cinch to drive on and the colder the better. One looks well ahead and any shift in ones controls is executed as gently as possible. Cruise control is certainly a no no as are sudden braking and acceleration. Four wheel drive is great for getting under way, but can also be a hinderance on ice if much in the way of steering is needed.

My wife is especially fond of front wheel drive in slick conditions. If the rear end comes around on her rig, one has most certainly lost it.

We have a couple passes that can be a bear here in Oregon around Pendleton and LaGrande. One can get stopped there and watch parked big rigs slide sideways into the median. Locals told the federal engineers to use alternate go arounds during the I5 build, but they insisted on taking the shortest route.

The condition I fear most is about 3 to 6 inch deep wet slush when one must make lane changes. I rarely try to pass anyone under those conditions.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/31/14.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Capt was an idiot to leave Homer in those winds!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We all bitch and moan about governments overspending here. All the time, we bitch and moan about it.
Atlanta DIDN'T spend money on plows, or sand and salt (probably wasted it on other things), but now folks want to bitch at 'em for NOT spending money on stuff they wouldn't use but 1 time in 30 years??
Time to get a grip here, folks. No, they weren't prepared, but you normally don't prepare for what is probably a lifetime event for Atlanta.
Pretty nasty parochialism for this crowd, even. Lighten up, folks.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Capt was an idiot to leave Homer in those winds!

SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN PORT, AND SNAG IN THE SNAG HOLE,,LOL

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 1,425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,255
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.