Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Sometimes not slowing down enough to take the previous project hunting more.

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by handwerk
Sometimes not slowing down enough to take the previous project hunting more.

Bingo!

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Documenting the entire order. Write specifications with details.

Provide photo's and drawings. Include the price and delivery specifications.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
A liar, cheat, and an idiot.

The threads in which I was accused of such, about as many folks have posted in my favor as against. Bottom line is that in an area of commerce, differences of opinion are going to occur and I have demonstrated with photos and copy's of correspondence that my view and memory of events was correct in the Ruger Charger issue that went on for so very (much too) long.

All that aside, that you would post such a thing in a forum and thread so FAR removed from those conversations, both by topic and time, and from the anonymity of the internet PROVES beyond ANY DOUBT that you sir are a low life COWARD!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As further proof of my point above, Rancho has the bravery to make a hit and run comment like that, then put me on ignore so that I cannot reply to him more directly. Wow, what an amazing example.

So sorry folks for the distraction and name calling. I would like to keep these discussions to the topic at hand.

Some disagree with my ideas about what makes a good custom, and that is great. Let everyone have their say when a query is made, and let the poster and viewers of that thread make thier picks as to whom to listen to or what weight to give to a post. Perhaps based upon actual, real life hunting and rifle building and testing experience. Others here certainly have more of that than me for sure, but few.

I will add that for a pure target or varmint rifle, IMO the push feeds including the Model 700 make very fine rifles. I just do not prefer them for building a serious big game rifle. Opinions and the sharing of same is what makes this forum or any other what it is. Experiences of many, shared and viewed among the members.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
twist

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
twist

absolutely! Most being twisted too slow.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tanner hit it. (No pun intended, but that was a good one)
Nothing like handling a rifle you like to nail down(pun there too) the details before you build. A rifle that's built perfect mechanically but doesn't feel GREAT (whoops, one more), goes down the road or disappoints you the entire time you're packin it (yep, packin it).

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fireball,

Absolutely correct, sir. The problem for me for a long time was quantifying what would make a custom rifle "Feel good" or lively. I measured the measureables on some nice rifles that I really liked and learned that despite my having XXL hands I much prefered a slender pistol grip. I then always specified a grip diameter of 4.25 inches. Add to this an open, almost "prince of Wales" style grip and a slender but slightly ovaled forend with diamond point checkering and I have rifle nirvannah.

I am really glad that I had a couple of good ones built when I could do so and have so far managed to keep ahold of them.

Here is my best of the best, my much travelled and bloodied 416 Rigby, as done up by our own Karnis:

[Linked Image]

Closer up to show the grip area and smaller diameter

[Linked Image]

To make a lively feeling slender grip on a heavy kicking rifle like this one must use good quality, well grained wood. To hedge our bets, this stock's grip has a 3/8 inch steel rod embedded into or through its full length, epoxied in with Brownells Steelbed bedding compound.

This feature is also useful in that if I am ever run over by a cape buff and in great agony, the stock will still be in good order and can be used as a club by my tracker or skinner to bludgeon me into a nice, deep, pain free coma! shocked

Last edited by safariman; 02/03/14.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by safariman

my tracker or skinner to bludgeon me into a nice, deep, pain free coma! shocked

Fingers crossed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rosco1

my tracker or skinner to bludgeon me into a nice, deep, pain free coma! shocked

Fingers crossed

Dat was mean! (but funny nevertheless)

My trips to Africa and other far reaches are now behind me, I am afraid, so no bludgeoning in the near future. But the concept was sound!

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 30338
So what do you think is the most common mistake or cause for dissatisfaction on customs?
Impatience/ignorance......

It's best to know what you want and why before building a custom, otherwise you're going to be disappointed.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Turning your custom project over to a smith w/o references who argues with you about features you want to stay in his comfort zone.

Believing ANY smith's first promised delivery date.

1B

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Shank length!

This was it for me on my first. Didn't specify. Shank too long���.like 2.5".

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxer
Too much contour and not enough twist,are common Themes. Too much throat and not enough COAL,another.

Seen guys duped by Snake Oil and The 82 Trick Move bullschit too and often in conjunction with the above.(grin)

That was it for me on my 2nd custom. 6mmAI with a slow twist. I loaded up dummy rounds, but didn't know enough about twist to specify when I ordered the barrel from Pac-Nor.

Good rule of thumb for twist��..FAST IS GOOD�.but FASTER IS GOODER!

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As further proof of my point above, Rancho has the bravery to make a hit and run comment like that, then put me on ignore so that I cannot reply to him more directly. Wow, what an amazing example.

So sorry folks for the distraction and name calling. I would like to keep these discussions to the topic at hand.

Some disagree with my ideas about what makes a good custom, and that is great. Let everyone have their say when a query is made, and let the poster and viewers of that thread make thier picks as to whom to listen to or what weight to give to a post. Perhaps based upon actual, real life hunting and rifle building and testing experience. Others here certainly have more of that than me for sure, but few.

I will add that for a pure target or varmint rifle, IMO the push feeds including the Model 700 make very fine rifles. I just do not prefer them for building a serious big game rifle. Opinions and the sharing of same is what makes this forum or any other what it is. Experiences of many, shared and viewed among the members.

My ignore button is for the trash I won't do business with. Too bad there isn't a ranking, because you would be the number one piece of self-serving human garbage on my list.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Shank length!

That's a personal problem right there..................

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The threads in which I was accused of such, about as many folks have posted in my favor as against.
Bullsh*t.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slg888
The threads in which I was accused of such, about as many folks have posted in my favor as against.
Bullsh*t.

Double bullsh*t safariman!!!!

As someone posted above.................liar, cheat, & an idiot!!

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 3,107 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,757
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.