Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How about we organize a "shoot as you hunt" postal match! This isn't just for the Long Range guys either, we all shoot long range in someone's eyes.
<br>
<br>
<br> Honor system and if there's a witness they sign off if they want.
<br>
<br> Targets, mixed and varied. I'd suggest an easy to ship/mail/fax/scan to post target that somehow represents the hunter's defined kill zone on animals(varmint or otherwise) that particular hunter shoots. (no human silhouettes as they are a problem in some geographic areas).
<br>
<br> Distances are those the hunter hunts to, not target distances. As an offering, my limit on big game animals is 650 yards but I shoot targets to over 1000. I won't submit a target for distances beyond the 650 yards "big game limit" for that category.
<br>
<br> We can shoot as few as one round onto a defined kill zone or shoot a group if wanted. We decide the number of shots before the "rules" are finalized.
<br>
<br> One strict issue is that the shooter determines the time for the shot, not a timed event for the "kill" shot. ULR guys still fire their spotter just as they hunt (no "extra" spotters guys, only the normal amount [Linked Image] )
<br>
<br> I suggest the targets should contain, shooters name (handle), witness scribble (poor penmanship types that we are), distance, environmentals (elevation, wind, temp, etc) if desired/known, come-up data/clicks. Also what critter the target represents and the suggested kill zone size (we'll argue about this later).
<br>
<br> Shooting position is normal hunter position, our "field" positions vary a great deal so state it on the target/post.
<br>
<br>Let's here your thoughts and suggestions.
<br>
<br>No betting on these event but maybe I'll donate an old recurve bow and arrows to the shooter with the worst target, sort of a short range hunter award.
<br>
<br>

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am all for it.... I do limit myself to the ballistics of the particular bullet/rifle combination I am shooting.
<br>
<br>I would be eager to hear thoughts on this as well.... such as a curretn newspaper page as a backer to varify the date of the target ....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dave,sound's great........Can I do it on video?How does a flo orange life size cut out of a deer sound.You will be able to see the hit's on video.1100 yard's sound o.k. to everybody...How long do we have????

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Okay Ric, good idea on the newspaper... it's got to be the funnies page or the real estate section, all the rest is lies or depressing. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br> I just had a few additional thoughts:
<br>
<br> NO STALKING THE TARGET, don't label the target 900 yards then stalk to 100 and shoot it [Linked Image] .
<br>
<br> Also, maybe we shoot the same target over a period of several days or any other method to establish consistency as long as it's in keeping with the method used to hunt. Shoot at 900 yards one day with a 3mph 6 o'clock wind and another day at 500 yards with a 5mph 3 0'clock wind. Mark the shots with particulars...
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Boyd
<br>
<br> Sure, put it on video but you'll still need the hard target(s).
<br>
<br> I don't really care about the length of time required, I don't figure to croak anytime soon and if I do you can disregard my target (unless I do the best then you can make it a Memorial Match).
<br>
<br>

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would be pretty hard for me to send a life size cut out of a deer in the mail[Linked Image].With the video,you would hear the report of the gun,see the bullet on the way to the target and see the hit...What more do you want?????[Linked Image]...O.K. I'll think of something.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about 1 of my 1000 yard target's with a out line of a deer drawn on it???????Sound good????

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sheeesh...
<br>
<br> Tag it, throw it into the bed of the pickup and drive it down here! Do I have to think of everything?? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
<br>
<br> Put a piece of paper over the target after you've shot and indicate the impacts. Remember that the kill zone size and area should be on the target diagram, if everyone (Okay, nearly everyone) agrees that's acceptable.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br> Hey, I'm not in charge of this fiasco, I'm suggesting and expecting responses/suggestions!
<br>
<br>
<br>

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Boyd
<br>
<br> I don't think we should use previously shot targets... dosen't strike me as proper and with the spirit of the event. Folks the don't shoot targets would have a hard time recovering the hides of the last several critters they shot to be able to submit in the same fashion. Come on, shoot a few more bullets outta that rifle...the more you shoot the sooner you'll be able to get it rebarreled (and repainted to a more....manly color)!
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>All
<br>
<br>It's been 20 minutes since I proposed this.... where is everyone. I figured we'd be well underway with the rules and have a hundred shooters by now.
<br>
<br>This is not LONG RANGE ONLY, if you shoot at 100 yards normally chime in, it's all in fun and education.
<br>
<br>

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Am shooting a match this coming weekend.We'll have Darryl sign it and date it........

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I doubt that I will participate, but might I suggest standardizing the target to a B6, 50 yard slow fire pistol. The paper is 21x24 with an 8 inch black. And is about the size of the kill zone on an elk. Archers could participate under the same rules if they wanted to.
<br>
<br>3 shots per target, 10 minutes max to fire 3, time started on report of first shot for score, (if that isn't enough time you've picked the wrong day) at 3 ranges. Say 50% of your specified max, 75% and 100%. Maximum score of 90, 9x. Some negative amount if you miss the paper, and say 3 points positive if you hit the paper outside the scoring rings.
<br>
<br>No sighters once firing for score, and that means at all ranges. If you start at your longest distance or any of the 3, then when you finish sighter shots, the next 9 are for score.
<br>
<br>Sounds like fun, I might even talk myself into it, but I hope the muzzle blast won't blow holes in the target at 10 yards.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
IIFID
<br>
<br> I like the distance breakdown, 50%, 75% and 100%.. sounds reasonable to me.
<br>
<br> I believe others will have thoughts on the 3 shots per target. One big .338 caliber 300 grain bullet through a kill zone should be enough in most cases, 308 175gr might be another matter. We'll see what other think and suggest.
<br>
<br> On kill zone size.... I know this will be debated by all. I'm thinking each group/hunter will have a different size in mind. I'd vote to let the hunter/shooter specify the kill zone size on the target, it provides another set of data points in the entire hunting equation. For example; I have some back to brisket measurements for a few whitetail bucks I've shot, 19, 18, 18, 17 then 21.5 for a caribou and 17.5 for a Russian Boar. The bucks are large samples in my estimation so I'd say about 16 inches would be safe for a back to brisket in my whitetail bucks. For a kill zone the way I setup I'd probably pick an 11 or 12 inch square or an 11 or 12 inch tall x 11&14 trapazoid.
<br>
<br>"Some negative amount if you miss the paper..."
<br>Miss the paper??? You stated a 21x24 target back, who's going to miss the paper??? [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>
<br>I do believe the kill zone needs to be on the target before the shots are fired, we're not shooting for groups in this exercise.
<br>
<br>

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ummm, for some of the boys who are shooting 2000m or up,
<br>I think missing the paper is not an impossiblity.
<br>
<br>If you are going to have a contest, then you need to have some basis of comparison and that is why I believe you need a standardized size of target. If you don't like groups, shoot 3 targets, once each. Same thing and I don't see the difference. If you are just shooting to say you did it, then it doesn't matter. Use a gong. Or, specify the kill zone size and score all hits the same and subtract one hit for each miss. Opps, I forgot there aren't any misses. We'll see. [Linked Image]

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr><p>NO STALKING THE TARGET, don't label the target 900 yards then stalk to 100 and shoot it <p><hr></blockquote> But, that's how I do it all the time. You LR guys are a bunch of sissies.
<br>
<br>How's about those of us more manly types (no pink guns [Linked Image] ) who prefer to wrestle the animal to the ground, stab it to death with the appropriate blade from our Swiss army knife, then eat it raw. A target with a knife hole, perhaps?
<br>
<br>R-WEST

Load smart. Load safe. Triple check everything. Never use load data from the 'net without checking against known, pressure tested load data. Typo's happen!!

Genius has limits; stupidity does not
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
IIFID
<br>
<br> Okay, seems it me and you building the rules and with just the two of us it shouldn't be too much bickering.
<br>
<br> The reason I didn't want a standard target is that some shooters will pick elk as the representative kill zone and other will pick deer. The kill zone size will vary by the shooter too. Shooting to a kill zone makes all rounds inside the zone equal score in my thinking.
<br>
<br> I am however tending toward the idea of a standard size backer and that 21x24 you suggested is beginning to look good, but what's a "pistol". [Linked Image]
<br>
<br> I don't have any standard targets and it's far easier for me to liberate some Christmas gift wrapping from my wife's "but it was on sale!" pile and shoot on the back of that (I also have a fair bit of house wrap Tyvek).
<br>
<br> How about a 3 ft x 3 ft backer (someone might miss the kill zone), we all shoot for the exact center of the backer, 3 shots suggested at each of the now established distances percentages so 9 shots total. The shooter still gets to define the kill zone but it's centered around the exact center of the backer.
<br>
<br> We'll have a poll type thread, I'll (damn I hate doing all the work, mail them to me) take digital photos of the targets and post them and then we let everyone vote on who's got the finest looking/most impressive target. OR we can level the shooting field and build a scoring system based on number of rounds closest to the center of the backer/target, completely discounting distance for all shooters.
<br>
<br>
<br>Come on guys, I'm itching to get my target built and shot.
<br>
<br>

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
RWest
<br>
<br> Okay, you can make knife marks but try to stay inside the lines and remember to stab AWAY from yourself and not the clutching belly stab!
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sound's good Dave and IIFID..So with my Light gun my limit is around 1000 yard's.So 3 shot's at 1000,3 at 750 and 3 at 500...With the center of a deer's shoulder over the center of the 36"x36" backer...Sound good????

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Now I'm talking to myself, I knew this would happen someday!
<br>
<br>Let take a look at the rules so far.
<br>
<br>1. Honor system and if there's a witness they sign off if they want.
<br>
<br>2. Distances are those the hunter hunts to, not target distances. As an offering, my limit on big game animals is 650 yards but I shoot targets to over 1000. I won't submit a target for distances beyond the 650 yards "big game limit" for that category.
<br>
<br>3. 3 targets, 3 shots per target, 10 minutes max to fire 3, time started on report of first shot for score, (if that isn't enough time you've picked the wrong day) at 3 ranges. Say 50% of your specified max, 75% and 100%.
<br>By having the time it would allow the representative "follow-up" shot.
<br>
<br>
<br>4. Maximum score of 90, 9x.
<br>
<br>5. Targets must contain, shooters name (handle), witness scribble (optional), distance, caliber, environmentals (elevation, wind, temp, etc) if known, come-up data/clicks. Also what critter the target represents and the suggested kill zone size.
<br>
<br>6. Shooting position is normal hunter position, our "field" positions vary a great deal so state it on the target/post. ULR often shoot from tripods and benches, LR shooters often use bipods and sand bags, it's fields positions that the hunter generally uses so all things are acceptable.
<br>
<br>7. NO STALKING THE TARGET, don't label the target 900 yards then stalk to 100 and shoot it. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>Still being discussed
<br>
<br>
<br>A. No sighters once firing for score, and that means at all ranges. If you start at your longest distance or any of the 3, then when you finish sighter shots, the next 9 are for score.
<br>
<br>Wind can vary a great deal in just a few hundred yards, the ULR guys may want sighters for each target. Target distances for these guys might be 1000, 1500 and 2000 yards!
<br>
<br>B. A 3 ft x 3 ft backer (someone might miss the kill zone), we all shoot for the exact center of the backer, 3 shots suggested at each of the now established distances percentages so 9 shots total. The shooter still gets to define the kill zone but it's centered around the exact center of the backer.
<br>
<br>C. Have a poll type thread, take digital photos of the targets and post them and then we let everyone vote on who's got the finest looking/most impressive target.
<br>
<br>OR we can level the shooting field and build a scoring system based on number of rounds closest to the center of the backer/target, completely discounting distance for all shooters.
<br>
<br>
<br>D. Limit the shoot to rifles or open it to all hunting implements, muzzle loaders, handguns, archery. (RWest could use his Swiss Army knife.;) )
<br>
<br>Prizes:
<br>
<br> I'll donate a Browning Wasp 45# recurve bow and a dozen Cedar arrows. It'll be awarded to a shooter by majority vote.
<br>
<br>

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My limit on game animal's with my light gun IS around 1000 yard's.So it would be 500 ,750 and 1000 yard's.I hunt off a Hart Bench with a Hart front rest and a bunny ear rear bag.Dave, your A,B,C and D sound fine to me.How about this.....I'll shoot one round out of my light gun,one out of my heavy gun and one out of one of my carry gun"s at each target.Just kidding[Linked Image].....How ever you think it will work is o.k. by me..... I do think that only 1 spotter round should be allowed at distance's from 500 to 1000 yard's.And two from 1000 to 1500.And 3 from 1500 to 2000 yard's.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr><p>(RWest could use his Swiss Army knife. [Linked Image] ) <p><hr></blockquote> ALLRIGHT!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
<br>Must remember, keep pointy end away from self. Got it.
<br>
<br>Actually, if Hart ever gets my LR outfit done , maybe I can use that.
<br>
<br>R-WEST
<br>
<br>

Load smart. Load safe. Triple check everything. Never use load data from the 'net without checking against known, pressure tested load data. Typo's happen!!

Genius has limits; stupidity does not
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 320090T, 257 roberts, 3dtestify, 21 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,093
Posts18,522,161
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.