NIKON PROSTAFF - 480 CLICKS OF CAN-DO!

CICK HERE for KUIU BASELAYERS!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#8553489 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: Foxbat]
HankStone Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: North New York State
Tel Aviv University??

RV 728 BP
#8553532 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: HankStone]
poboy Online   content
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
"Rebekah lighted off her Camel"

#8553573 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: Rock Chuck]
Ramblin_Razorback Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Texas, again
Originally Posted By: Rock Chuck
The Bible's 1st mention of a camel was when Abraham's future daughter-in-law arrived to marry his son Isaac:

Ge 24:64 Rebekah also looked up and saw Isaac. She got down from her camel

Actually, Gen 12:16 is first mention of a camel (camels) in the Bible.

#8553579 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: efw]
curdog4570 Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: North texas usa
"He thought it and it was."

That satisfies my intellectual curiosity.

If that qualifies me as a simpleton in the eyes of some, I'll point out that I'm a simpleton who is at peace with myself and the God that made me.

There is no higher station to aspire to than THAT.

#8553599 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: curdog4570]
efw Online   content
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Mi.
Originally Posted By: curdog4570

If that qualifies me as a simpleton in the eyes of some, I'll point out that I'm a simpleton who is at peace with myself and the God that made me.

Preach on brother; I am right there with ya. I think there is a particular powerlessness that you and I have accepted that gives us a bit of an advantage in some of this... And I say that as a humble admission of our "advantage" over others, NOT as a proud example of how we're "better".

I am always more than a little disappointed with Christians' willingness to allow this "debate" to take place under the terms set forth by those who begin from a position of cynical unbelief ala Ken Hamm & his ilk.
Sometimes you bring up the water when the well is dry

-Buddy Miller

#8553696 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: Ramblin_Razorback]
Bigbuck215 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Billings, Mt and proud of it ...
Originally Posted By: Ramblin_Razorback
The Bible's 1st mention of a camel was when Abraham's future daughter-in-law arrived to marry his son Isaac:

Nobody really knows when the book of Job was written but many date it as far back as 2000-1800 BC. Genesis was written in about 1450-1410. If that is correct, then Job would be by far the oldest book and in Job 1:17, we are told that he owned 3,000 head of camels.

#8553838 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: isaac]
Ken Howell Offline
Campfire Oracle

Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?

I'm sure that Moses wasn't there when God began to create Heaven and Earth —

— but I'm equally sure that the Holy Spirit, Who told Moses all about it eons later, was there at the time — and He seems unfailingly reliable.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

#8553951 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: Bigbuck215]
Ramblin_Razorback Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Texas, again
Originally Posted By: Bigbuck215

Nobody really knows when the book of Job was written but many date it as far back as 2000-1800 BC. Genesis was written in about 1450-1410. If that is correct, then Job would be by far the oldest book and in Job 1:17, we are told that he owned 3,000 head of camels.

Abraham died long before Moses recorded the accounts found in Genesis, too (more than 400 years before). I'm not aware of any internal evidence in the book of Job to indicate when Job lived - so he could have lived before or after Abraham or could have been Abraham's contemporary - we just don't know. I guess to be more definitive I should have written that the earliest "dated" mention (i.e., event that we can approximately date) of a camel in the Bible was in Gen 12:16.

#8554240 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: Ramblin_Razorback]
Rock Chuck Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Filer, ID

You're right. My search didn't pick it up because I searched for camel and that one is plural. It didn't catch it like it should have.

#8554326 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: Rock Chuck]
eyeball Offline
Campfire Oracle

Well, it still astounds me how some can be so wrong about the outcome of a game , and then still be so certain they are right about the lack of a creator, when even a monkey can pick a a winner.

Is the monkey smarter, luckier, or more sensitive to his Creators direction than is an intelligent being?

What are the odds of a monkey picking the winner 7 times in a row?

Mark 4:12 so that, "'they may be ever seeing but never perceiving, and ever hearing but never understanding; otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!'"

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

#8554372 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: curdog4570]
vabeachman Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: virginia
Originally Posted By: curdog4570
"He thought it and it was."

That satisfies my intellectual curiosity.

Yep. Same here.

#8554405 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: isaac]
MacLorry Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: polar orbit
Bible critics have long used use the "lack of evidence proves something" tactic. One explanation for the lack of camel bones in copper mines is that camels were too valuable to be used in the day to day operation of such mines, but were used for what they do best, which is long distance transportation. It's to be expected then that their bones rarely ended up in copper mines. The critics dismiss the presence of such bones in early layers as being those of wild camels, as if any wild camel would hang around a working copper mine.

What the research really shows is at what time camels became cheap enough to use in copper mines, but of course such a claim wouldn't win any notoriety or research grants.

#8554421 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: MacLorry]
antelope_sniper Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: MacLorry
Bible critics have long used use the "lack of evidence proves something" tactic. One explanation for the lack of camel bones in copper mines is that camels were too valuable to be used in the day to day operation of such mines, but were used for what they do best, which is long distance transportation. It's to be expected then that their bones rarely ended up in copper mines. The critics dismiss the presence of such bones in early layers as being those of wild camels, as if any wild camel would hang around a working copper mine.

What the research really shows is at what time camels became cheap enough to use in copper mines, but of course such a claim wouldn't win any notoriety or research grants.

And look where the mine is located. I'm not sure that's the location I would choose for archaeology attempting to disprove the Bible narrative.

Go quiet or full tilt, just don't get caught in the middle of the stupids. DD

#8554426 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: MacLorry]
Rock Chuck Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Filer, ID
So how do they distinguish between wild and tame camel bones anyway?

#8554448 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: Rock Chuck]
antelope_sniper Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Colorado

Context and stress markers. An animal used as a beast of burden will have stress markers in the bones.

Go quiet or full tilt, just don't get caught in the middle of the stupids. DD

#8554455 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: MacLorry]
Ken Howell Offline
Campfire Oracle

Originally Posted By: MacLorry
Bible critics have long used use the "lack of evidence proves something" tactic. …

If this isn't a forensic law, it oughta be —

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Bible critics also try to wring mileage out of the notion that mention of something or other in another ancient writing (Noah's flood, for example), as evidence of a "borrowed myth," destroys the credence of its mention in the Bible.

Pardon me, but I thought that two pedestrians testifying that they saw Banjoe mug the nun was customarily considered pretty good evidence that Banjoe mugged the nun.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

#8554471 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: Ken Howell]
isaac Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Northern Virginia
And, consistent with this thread, oftentimes it's the two pedestrians who mugged the nun and are framing Banjoe.

#8554504 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: Rock Chuck]
zxc Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Central British Columbia

Look at the toe, the wild ones are hairy.

#8554699 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: zxc]
Bigbuck215 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Billings, Mt and proud of it ...
And the tame ones are shod. whistle

#8554710 - 02/06/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: Bigbuck215]
rattler Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: NE Montana
Originally Posted By: Bigbuck215
And the tame ones are shod. whistle

ill pay you to nail shoes on a camel's feet......but only if you have someone running video at the time laugh

#8554783 - 02/07/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: isaac]
RickyD Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Iowa
One God, One Savior, One Holy Spirit. Behold, O' Israel, the Lord thy God is One!

You can have the camels. grin

#8554797 - 02/07/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: isaac]
curdog4570 Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: North texas usa
Originally Posted By: isaac
And, consistent with this thread, oftentimes it's the two pedestrians who mugged the nun and are framing Banjoe.

THAT'S funny.

Worthy of Bristoe, even.

#8556750 - 02/07/14 Re: Bible Written Long After Events It Purportedly Describes?? [Re: Rock Chuck]
MacLorry Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: polar orbit

That's easy. If "wild" supports their hypothesis then they must be wild, but if "domestic" supports their hypothesis then they must be domestic.

Human nature is at work and if evidence is open to interpretation then almost always it's claimed to support the hypothesis that brings the discoverer the most fame and money. Science, after all, is a career and to have a successful one means publishing stuff that extends the boundaries of accepted orthodoxy. Extra points are awarded if the researcher can claim it disproves something in the Bible.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT PRICES on LEUPOLD OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT SAVINGS on SUPERB TAMRON LENSES from CAMERA LAND!
Who's Online
522 registered (1beaver_shooter, 16gauge, 224th, 1minute, 257heaven, 60 invisible), 1036 Guests and 384 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,261 Registered Members
72 Forums
687,247 Topics
9,926,567 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.