Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got an elk hunting planned for September. Got an old '06 that really likes 165 HPBTs. Would these work well for elk, or should I try to find a good 180gr load?

If 180's are recommended, I know Partitions are "the bullet", but would CnC bullets work just fine, or would I be wise to use a premium? (I know bullets are the cheapest part of the hunt, etc.)

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Although it is fairly important to find out what your gun likes, it's more important to find out what the elk need.
Most agree that 1 180 gr C&C would be better suited, although there are some here that swear by the Barnes mono in lighter bullets Just as there will be several that tell you the 165 gr HPBT will kill elk ( which it will). I'm not one of them.
To save yourself a lot of time and thinking ,just buy some 180 grain partitions. Can't ever go wrong with them

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you want non-premium bullets, try to find some Speer Hotcores, either 165 or 180 gr. I've used them for years with excellent results. They're hard to find, though. I haven't been able to find 180's since mid summer, either locally or online.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
southtexas, as mentioned 165 gr. Sierra HPBT will kill an elk and very dead.. I've shot probably at least a dozen with that bullet out of my .300's.. BUT I would opt for a better bullet.. I seldom use them for that purpose these days... My first choice is the Nosler Part. Again, I would go with 165's or 180's.. I never had much use for the 180 wt. in .30 cal.. But it is a good one.. A second choice would be the 165 grain Accubond.. I have shot maybe 5 elk with this bullet in my .340 and 300's.. It has never come apart or lost it's core.. It does loose wt. more than the part. but it shoots well and carries up well.. I would trade a bit of accuracy for a better bullet.. You may not need it, but if you get one shot and it is not perfect, you will be happy to have a bullet that can do the job from a less than perfect angle.. You might get one shot just at dusk, and a better bullet will mean a better chance of success..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Gentlemen! Your response was pretty much what I expected to hear based on what I have read. But it's good to hear from guys with first hand experience. I'll have to see how the ol' '06 likes 180 Partitions. st

IC B2

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Although the Nosler 180 partition is above reproach, Mr. Steve Timm (dogzapper) has told of his exploits in Africa and Austraila as well as here and the Hornady 180 SP never let him down, even on elk.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Joe
Although the Nosler 180 partition is above reproach, Mr. Steve Timm (dogzapper) has told of his exploits in Africa and Austraila as well as here and the Hornady 180 SP never let him down, even on elk.

True,I actually use Sierra 180gr Game King or or 220 gr RN, but you get less flak on here if you just advise the Partition

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by southtexas
Got an elk hunting planned for September. Got an old '06 that really likes 165 HPBTs. Would these work well for elk, or should I try to find a good 180gr load?

If 180's are recommended, I know Partitions are "the bullet", but would CnC bullets work just fine, or would I be wise to use a premium? (I know bullets are the cheapest part of the hunt, etc.)

The Sierra is a outstanding Deer bullet and the one i use in my 308 , but it is soft and will open quickly and as long as you have broadside shots you should have no problem taking Elk. If the only shot you get is a Big Bull walking away from you , then you may wish you used another bullet. Personally if you insist on using a light 30 cal bullet, i would go to a 165 or 180 gr Partition just for the extra margin of penetration on shots that may not present a perfect lung through lung shot. I killed a cow at around 150 yards broadside with the 30-06 and Nosler 165 GR Partition and she dropped right there, so i know the lighter 30 cal bullets will work if you shoot straight. If i was going to hunt Elk again with my 30-06 i would use the Nosler 200 gr Partition and Hod 4831SC , you will be surprised just how flat the 30-06 with push this bullet and no Elk can stand it from any angle you may have to shoot.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Can't ever go wrong with the partition but for the 40+ elk I have killed, both bulls and cows, none have been killed with a partition or so called premium bullet. Fact is ,most have been with a 180 gr Sierra GK .06, except for the ML, 45-70,44mag, or 30-30.
To me, be it bull or cow, monster or raghorn, I am selective about my shot placement and even if it is a 300+ class bull, if it is walking away from me, he gets to walk. BTDT.

But I reccomended the partition to stave off pi$$ing contest of C&C vs premium.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The last two Bulls i Killed was with the Barnes 100 gr TSX from my 257 STW and both went down without taking a step. I like the 30 Cal Sierra bullet and would uses them , but when i pay out of state license fee's and drive from TN to Colorado, the extra cost of Nosler Partitions are a small price to pay from what i have already invested in the hunt . Just a little extra insurance in my opinion . My hunting buddy has killed 6 Elk out of seven trips with me and the only Bullet he has used is the Sierra 200 gr BTS in his 300 Win Mag, never losted a Elk

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
bea, you make an important point.. Saddlesore and myself live in elk country.. I have passed many shots that were not perfect, but for the man that travels thousands of miles, pays for a nonresident lic. plus other expenses, it is a small price to pay for Nosler Part. bullets.. I have been shooting the Accubond for the last couple years, but I probably have killed maybe a half dozen elk with a 150 grain Nosler BTBT out of my .300.. Hit I the lungs it is sudden death.. But if I were going on a hunt where I had only very limited time for the hunt, no question I would have the rifle loaded with something like partitions or accubonds. You mention of the 200 grain Nosler Part. is also a fine one.. I have used it quite a bit over the 180's.. It will penetrate from almost any angle.. Good insurance if you really want to take home an elk..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm laughing here. Nosler partitions are pretty dang cheap. You just got to know where to find them wink..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
bsa, I missed something here???

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The Sierra will kill elk dead. Bonus... You can call them up today and have a box by the end of the week. I wouldn't launch an accubomb at a dog house.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Accubonds have worked fine for me on about half dozen animals.. The Sierra he is talking about is very accurate, but about 40 years ago, I shot a big coyote coming into a call.. He was facing at maybe 125 yards.. The 165 centered his chest, he dropped on the spot.. When we picked him up, he was like a sack of jelly.. There was a bullet hole in the chest and no exit...
Near as we could tell, the bullet came complete apart inside the old coyote...

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I know exactly what Sierra he is talking about. My freezer is full from them. If you gave me a lifetime supply of Accubombs, I would sell them and give half the money to charity. I would spend the rest in Vegas doing blow off a hookers ass.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
wyoelk: Can you share with us your experiences with AB's which lead to your opinion of them? thanks

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would not use HPBT on elk.
I like the barnes X. last 2elk I never recovered the bullet from my 06, 180gr.
even with one bad shot that destroyed the shoulder...no bullet found. luckily he stopped and gave me the opportunity to finish the job with a neck shot.
Id go with heavier well built bullet. slower expansion, deeper penetration.
BUT shot placement is the key.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I would like to hear it also...

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by southtexas
wyoelk: Can you share with us your experiences with AB's which lead to your opinion of them? thanks

Watched a calf suck up 5+ from a 300. One didn't even make rib cage after entering shoulder.

I can't load the long winded chunks of [bleep] where I like and get them to fit in the mags. You guys must have different rifles.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (2003and2013, 1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 63 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,450
Posts18,471,039
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.