Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm in Atlanta this week hanging out in a nursing home. We moved our mother into hospice care last week. Her time here is limited. So not a great week.

The only levity has been the pre-pre-pre-storm drama. Every TV station has crisis teams covering the build up. Went to the grocery store last night. I thought there must've been a zombie alert! On Monday they closed the schools for today and Wednesday. It sprinkled rain for about an hour this morning. Panic set in at the nursing home. It's 36 degrees here.

I do understand that an ice or snow storm here has a different impact than back at home in South Dakota. But I also appreciate the comedy break this non-storm is offering me. It's a hoot and a half!

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Give it a few hours Bob, and then get back to us, would ya? smile

Sorry to hear about your Mom. Our thoughts are with you.

Last edited by badger; 02/11/14.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Prayers for your family.

FJB & FJT
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by wildbill59
was -24 below this morn. I just can't imagine how ya'all would handle that cold. Be a lot of folks with their tongues stuck frozen to winders seening if it was cold out.

We would probably send some time learning to spell "y'all, windows, seeing" and " stupid", stupid. grin

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you both. I fully expect the ice to make the roads impassable. Pictures and accounts from 2 weeks ago attest to that. It's just the build up that I'm enjoying. Just poking a little fun.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
One can only imagine the hysteria down there right about now. eek

FJB & FJT
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by badger
Big storm with ice and snow is a coming. Don't be caught looking tupid by going driving in it. Stock up on beer and pig skin chips right now. You've been warned boys

So how exactly would a patronizing Yankee like yourself get around on a half inch to an inch of ice? Especially on the inclines we have here. Enquiring southern minds want to know?

Been doing it twice a week this winter. Add 30 mph winds and a 53' trailer. We drive by the seat of our pants. When your pants are full it's time to get off the road.

Sounds like your pants will soon be full of it, too. You need to get out of that place before the cold thickens you blood more and you get brain damaged - more. They say it can get bad enough to make suckers even vote Dimocrap.

Last edited by eyeball; 02/11/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been getting snow/sleet for the last two hours. All that is going to freeze tonight. We just don't have the experience and infrastructure in the south. We like to raise our buildings a but, to let the water run underneath smile That means exposed pipes. I don't think y'all run heat pumps up north but mine has problems keeping up when it gets in the teens.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eyeball
was -24 below this morn. I just can't imagine how ya'all would handle that cold. Be a lot of folks with their tongues stuck frozen to winders seening if it was cold out.

We would probably send some time learning to spell "y'all, windows, seeing" and " stupid", stupid. grin

And we're smart enough to live somewhere it doesn't get to -24. That's one reason, read this slowly, We Live In The SOUTH! But then, obviously "smarts" isn't something you've much concerned yourself with.... obviously.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bobcape
I'm in Atlanta this week hanging out in a nursing home. We moved our mother into hospice care last week. Her time here is limited. So not a great week.

The only levity has been the pre-pre-pre-storm drama. Every TV station has crisis teams covering the build up. Went to the grocery store last night. I thought there must've been a zombie alert! On Monday they closed the schools for today and Wednesday. It sprinkled rain for about an hour this morning. Panic set in at the nursing home. It's 36 degrees here.

I do understand that an ice or snow storm here has a different impact than back at home in South Dakota. But I also appreciate the comedy break this non-storm is offering me. It's a hoot and a half!

Bob

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. My prayers are with her, you, and your family.

My 83 year old Mom lives in the Sandhills of NC and she called me last night, laughing about the hysteria circling the forecast. She could out-drive 90% of the folks around there in any weather, but is a whole lot smarter than to get out in it.

It is sleeting and raining here in NE Texas, chunks of sleet sounding like shot hitting the windows. The horses aren't too happy about being stuck under their shed, but they'll live.
To echo what HAJ and some of the other folks in the South have said, the infrastructure has a lot to do with how snow & ice are handled here. The roads, for instance, are crowned differently than I'm used to in Alaska and they are not conducive to staying on the pavement. Add in negative-banked curves (yes, it is true! eek) no snow removal equipment, minimal sanding equipment, and folks who wreck on wet roads, much less icy ones, and you have subject matter for every drama-ridden newscaster.

Me, I think I'll keep working, maybe walk up to the house for a break. It's tough to have to commute 50 yards. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by noharleyyet
Stock up on good chili...sans beans.

Chili is soup without beans. No chili served without beans at my house.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reloder28

shocked talk about stirring the pot! and from a Texan too! shocked

laugh laugh laugh laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I just made a grocery, post office, coffee run in my 1973 Volkswagen bug.
Who needs a 4x4 and chains?
If it gets really bad ill take the Toyota 4 wheel drive.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ringworm
WTF is a "pig skin chip"?
http://macssnacks.com/

This'll get ya started..

laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by Reloder28

shocked talk about stirring the pot! and from a Texan too! shocked

laugh laugh laugh laugh

Crack open some of those jars of venison, add some beans and fixings. You'll be good to go!

Bob

Last edited by Bobcape; 02/11/14.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i live near pittsburgh. let me tell you, people do not know how to drive in bad weather. they either go too fast for conditions, or too slow and make everyone hit their brakes. i was following a woman down a hill a couple of years ago. the roads had some slush but not bad and it was above freezing i'm sure. anyway, i rolled on up to her tail because i didn't know she was going so slow. i then backed off, backed off again and finally after almost stopping my car, i had a safe distance to follow her snail trail down the hill. we both pulled into a gas station and she got out of her car and started reading me the riot act, telling me i needed to learn how to drive, swearing, etc. at first i was angry, but because she was kind of a cougar, i got ornery and started joking with her. she didn't appreciate it and just kept getting madder and finally throwing me some F'bombs. it was quite funny. especially considering i know for 100% sure that I was driving safer for those conditions than she was.

My diploma is a DD214
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
The last time I was up north during a heavy snowstorm the only vehicles I saw in ditches or wrecks or whatever, all had license plates from the northern states.

I did not see one license plate from a south of the mason line in a ditch or in a wreck.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I don't mind a little chili with beans...as long as they're in different bowls. wink

Last edited by noharleyyet; 02/11/14.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by ringworm
WTF is a "pig skin chip"?
http://macssnacks.com/

This'll get ya started..

laugh

I'm fully aware of what pork skins and cracklins are.
But " pig skin chip" is a new one.
What do you figure Yankees call liver mush?

Pork parts spread?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Hey Ya' all Southern Boys

I believe the correct usage would be "all y'all".

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 1,879 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,089
Posts18,521,999
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.