Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
There is no substitute for a real pack if moose is involved...

True. And the shoulder padding on the Barney's pack is worth a lot of money at certain points. But there are other solid options out there too.

See Vek's picture in the "self inflicted GSW to the foot" thread... I believe that's a Dana frame. Of course, he's packing a sheep quarter, but its a BIG sheep quarter!

Saw the thread... Have not seen an option I would really consider solid... But for the "nuts" shot I really miss my old Barney's Freighter pack...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That was a tragedy.

I'll probably grab a Dana shortly, as my camp trails loaner/training pack is pretty much wore out. I'll let you test drive it if I get one.

I can't compete with the secretary, but... When I got the Stone Glacier Demo pack, the first thing I strapped into it was the wife.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry for the terrible pics, that is a surprisingly difficult event to photograph.

P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I'm liking the Barney's, looks to be a pretty good pack!

P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
The Stone Glacier is looking pretty interesting as well!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Barney's is a great pack. I've tried several internal frame packs and haven't found anything close to it when hauling a load of 125+ pounds. Internals can be more comfortable, they ought to be lighter and most are, but I've not seen one that I'd trade my Barney's for when packing heavy loads. If I was buying one pack and moose are a possibility then I'd go Barney's period. If moose are unlikely then there are other options nearly as good for hauling loads and they may be more comfortable in the bargain.........

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

IC B2

P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Moose WILL be involved, actually that's the reason why I'm headed that way to hunt, along with Caribou and possibly a bear.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Who you flying out with and what unit you going to?

Heck, buy a new Barney's pinnacle and I'll buy it from you after your hunt. My pinnacle bag is needing to be replaced.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ime moose quarters ain't the only heavy loads,

hauling sheep out, and even bou if the pack is far enough and you load it up with meat

and a bear hide on a really nice bear, that's a butt busting load too ime

dang near anything but bird hunting and I'd just about as soon have a pack that designed to carry heavy loads

cause my old carcass sure ain't designed for it

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lol, great stuff cwh2!

you can always tell her "honey if you put on much weight yaknow I'll have to quarter you before I pack you"

then duck laugh

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Who you flying out with and what unit you going to?

Heck, buy a new Barney's pinnacle and I'll buy it from you after your hunt. My pinnacle bag is needing to be replaced.
My brother is in the AirForce there that has a friend thats flying us in, as per the unit I want to say 23....will hold you to the buying of the Pinnacle if I decide to go that way!!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unless you are a backpacker in real life, get the Barney's or the Dana external frame. If you are a backpacker in real life- and are going to spend any real amount of time and distance carrying 45-85lb loads- get an old Dana design internal frame in the overkill series(ie teraplane overkill) or mystery ranch. The only world where an external frame is superior is plus 90 or 100 lbs. when you strap 100 plus lbs on your back you are going to be unhappy in your pack- no matter what it is. With an external frame you are less likely to injure yourself with a load of that size- but it wont be comfortable. Below that 90lb mark there are plenty of internal frames that will absolutely blow the doors off any external frame.

I carry an internal frame- because I want to be comfortable while I can, and it does a whole lot more jobs in my life than haul moose quarters- and it's either a Dana or an MR because they are the only ones out there durable enough to perform moose sized tasks.

Last edited by 175rltw; 02/14/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The only comfortable pack with a moose hind quarter in it is the one someone else is carrying for you...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
and in that light, I did notice that your Barney's pack was way way more comfortable than my MR for all but one load last go round, hahaha. Switching out packs for a load left me with a certainty that the only attributes that really matter are durability and familiarity if either you or the rest of the equpiment lack durability, moose packing will reveal the shortage. If you lack familiarity with your pack- you are screwed, done dealing, and may as well pack the thing out in a duffle or suitcase. Learn how to wear your new pack, not like "oh, I've been backpacking all my life, I know how to adjust it" but more along the lines of go do a couple trips in it. Sorry I got off the subject of the packs you specifically asked about.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good advice is never OT.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Will research the Dana's......thanks so much!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 26 invisible), 1,936 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,848
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.