Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wish my hunting pard would get one of those

he always gives me a hard look when I use his .375 to pound in tent stakes

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Note to self: Don't pizz Randy off while in camp! smile

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
I thought Greg was using a 4" 500S&W

Pretty sure it was a 454Casull... I have probably told you of the dirty trick I pulled on him right after the encounter...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by K1500
Give me a 329pd any day. I like the Ruger, but they are heavy and the 329 has. 4" barrel.

This is how we run AK since 2003 IIRC date wise. 329 PD, wife may change to a Glock in 10mm in the future possibly.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Pretty sure it was a 454Casull... I have probably told you of the dirty trick I pulled on him right after the encounter...

http://peninsulaclarion.com/stories/080709/out_478669517.shtml

It was a 454. But the link is worth reposting.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Art, I had also heard he had been using ammo from a commercial reloader down there and one of the bullets ended up pulling and locking up his gun. Have you heard that?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have not heard, but will try to remember to ask the next time I talk to him...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mart
I prefer the Redhawk to the Super Redhawk. I have the Redhawk 4 inch 45 Colt. I keep it loaded with 300 grain cast bullets at 1100-1200 fps. Shootable and still hard hitting. I rarely carry it though when I have a rifle with me.

Mart

Great choice and much easier to pack. I had Bowen build me one. He does a slab sided barrel & a round butt grip frame to lighten it up, and than adds a lanyard ring. Then he does an action job and installs his Bowen Rough Country Sights. Mine is loaded with a 300gr hard cast WFN LBT bullets at 1200 fps. Real handy to shoot, and I can hit an 8" gong at my 100 yard range 4 out of 5 shots, when I practice regularly. It makes a dandy fly fishing weapon for Grizz Country. I wear mine in an El Paso Saddlery Tanker Holster while wade fishing. Also makes a great little "Tent" or sleeping bag gun.
But if I'm packing a .375 H&H Magnum for hunting, it's gonna stay in the tent all day while I'm carrying a rifle.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Note to self: Don't pizz Randy off while in camp! smile

lol, one of these days I swear I'm gonna hollow out a hole for where the tent peg goes and put his .375 in there barrel first and tell him I was short a tent peg

that's what he's always telling me my lh rifles are good for

course he gives as good as he gets, few years ago we floated the Wood with an old compadre and my pard reaches in his pack and pulls out a pack of tampons and tosses em to me! da rotten bastid he's lucky (or perhaps unlucky) that I associate with him

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope Art, haven't heard that story.
Do tell, though maybe its best in person.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Don't have an Alaskan but do have a 3" 629. Of course the recoil is stout and it is heavier than a J frame but it isnt THAT bad! I carry mine hiking and backpacking in a Simply Rugged holster. It is a great shooter, too. I carry with either 265 Hornady's or 270 Speer's in front of stout charges of 296 or Lil Gun.

I wonder how many people who mock guns like this have any actual extended experience with them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nope Art, haven't heard that story.
Do tell, though maybe its best in person.

No, it's ok for any company... Scott Haugen called to tell me about Greg's event and so I called Greg right away to express my relief he had survived the experience and to thank him for whacking a Kenai P bear...

But I got his voice mail instead. So I deliberately put on my soothing voice and told him what I wanted to say...

But suddenly I screamed into the phone "Look out! There is a bear RIGHT THERE BEHIND YOU!" Or something like that anyway.

Shortly thereafter I saw him at a show and as I walked toward him he saw me and started wagging his finger at me. Said the charge had shaken him so badly he could not sleep (and it lasted for weeks) and the fact it had been him but could have been one of his daughters or his wife really bothered him...

Said when I started screaming into the phone he screamed like a girl and tossed his phone clear across the room...

Kinda made me feel bad for doing it to him...

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

http://peninsulaclarion.com/stories/080709/out_478669517.shtml

It was a 454. But the link is worth reposting.

From that link:
This most recent bear shooting brings the number of DLPs for the season up to four. The first DLP of the year was an adult male killed at a black bear baiting station off Swanson River Road on May 21,<2009> but Selinger could not comment further because the incident is still under investigation.

Hey, Bearhunter! Is this the incident I'm thinking it is? wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I carry a .480 Super Red Hawk, but the 9.5" version. It's much handier than a shotgun and shoots well. I load my own hard cast 400gr over 21gr of H110, sealed primers and practice a lot with it. I put the crimp dead solid at the back edge of the cannelure to avoid bullet creep. It is an EXTREMELY accurate pistol and I'm pretty good with it, even at reasonably quick double action firing. If you get a good rest, it'd be a fine moose hunting pistol out to 100 yards easy. I put Williams Fire Sights and a Hogue grip on it. If it were stolen or lost, I'd have to build another just like it. I like having it on my chest when I'm gutting moose. More than one hunter has been found mauled with his rifle resting nearby. With a pistol on you, you still have a fighting chance to fill your hands. A chest holster lets you curl up and protect yourself while still having access to your pistol. (my line of reasoning)

I have a friend who bought an Alaskan Casull. Oh man is it a handful with the Buffalo Bore 300 grainers but still doable. I'm not as fond of shooting the beast as I am my .480 for sure. He practices a lot with .45 Long Colts in it. It truly is a sweet shooting pistol with those rounds. Works well, more accurate than you'd think.

I was just at the Palmer gun show last weekend and found a shortened .480 Ruger Super Red Hawk. My buddy bought it. It's shortened to about 4" barrel. Ugly as Chelsea Clinton but it's just a fantastic tool. I believe that Ruger should make a factory run of 4" barreled Alaskans. No ear splitting compensator blast and plenty accurate and powerful enough to get the job done.

I've another friend with a 9.5" barreled Super Redhawk in Casull. Great shooter. Have to be sure to get a good crimp, the Casull likes to loosen bullets!

And lastly, my brother-in-law carries a .480 Ruger SRH 7.5". Again, extremely accurate ugly pistol. With practice, good double action firing is more than possible, just learn pulling the trigger on the timing of the barrel coming back through the target after recoil. At 15 yards, a 2' group almost rapid fire is not hard. In bear terms, this is a lot better than a rifle leaning on a tree or while you're taking a dump or skinning a moose!

Just one guy's take: Although I've never shot the .44 mag, it should be no big deal. The pistol is heavy. It should be as accurate as you can practice. Heck, work it up with .44 Specials and enjoy the pistol at the range, load it with full power loads for when you want it for that. I'm betting you'd REALLY like shooting it that way.

Last edited by AKHuck; 02/15/14.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hey, Bearhunter! Is this the incident I'm thinking it is?

Nope. The one you are thinking about was neither young or male...and a couple years earlier.

*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Thanks. I remember now. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know how many carry Ruger Alaskan but I carry a 4" 500. I do handload for the gun and have taken quite a few hogs, some armadillos, and a coon. No bears...

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No bears...
...but t'would work... wink

*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
No bears...
...but t'would work... wink

judging by its performance on large hogs, indeed, it would.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

These are 420 grain 480s. The one on the left has withstood approximate 50 recoil cycles without moving enough to cause cylinder movement issues. Gotta make/use good ammo in these guns.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 3,206 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,313
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.