Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

dogshooter:

Is the Pawnee National Grassland near you? Any good places to camp there?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yep.... and yep.

Wouldn't put your tent here though...

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KC

dogshooter:

KC

Someone told me a few days ago that the Grasslands had been closed to shooting.
Apparently the trash, empty cases, and general screwing up the area was the cause.
I've only heard that from one source and have no idea of the truth of the matter.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tracks
Apparently the trash, empty cases, and general screwing up the area was the cause.
I've only heard that from one source and have no idea of the truth of the matter.

Tracks:

You wanna check that out and get back to us please?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Yep.... and yep.

Wouldn't put your tent here though...

[Linked Image]

Looks like a good place to collect prickly pear apples for jelly though.

KC

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KC

CCCC: I'll be at the AZ Rondy and hope to meet you there.
KC

I'm sure looking forward to meeting you KC. Let's talk about the Colo gathering.

To all: The Grand Mesa is nice, but last time I was up there fishing the mosquitos nearly carried me away. Don't remember which part of summer that was - anyone know about that?. And, if you are thinking about going west or southwest, there are some nice places up above Delores, etc.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So far we have a couple of suggestions:

1. Last year's site by Lake George.
2. Weld County out in the grasslands.
3. Grand Mesa with a warning about killer mosquitoes

Other possibilities might somewhere in the Gunnison Area, Flattops, maybe somewhere in the San Juans?

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Tracks
Originally Posted by KC

dogshooter:

KC

Total bullschitt..... they did close access to a couple square miles off CR 63 and CR96... to accommodate that stupid azz Baker Draw range. They also shut down some shooting south off 96 because it's only about 2-3 miles from Hwy 14.

The remainder is open to any/all shooting provided you're not shooting and leaving garbage. Fabricated steel targets are fine, just no tracers on NFS land.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
back TTT just lurking to see what happens. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sounds like fun if it's the right time of the year.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As long as it is after my DEROS (10MAR!) I'm gonna do whatever I an to go!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

Other possibilities might somewhere in the Gunnison Area, Flattops, maybe somewhere in the San Juans?

If you do Gunnison or the San Juans can we wait until late July so I can go look for some big ass deer while I'm there?

There is also a great camping spot on the backside of Guanella Pass that could be fun and its only an hour and a half from Denver

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
camping in the Pawnee mid-summer sounds horrible.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
camping in the Pawnee mid-summer sounds horrible.

Yeah, I agree. If they meet out there you can crash at my place and we'll drive out. Its only 30 min

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mainly posting so I can check back later. We've camped up on the Grand Mesa several times with the herd. There is plenty of real estate, but not many areas that I know of to accommodate long shooting. About 2 out of every 3 years up there the mosquitoes are brutal. Everyone has their own tolerance level I suppose.

Somewhere more central might be easier for everyone statewide, I'm just not that familiar with the country up around Gunnison or the Flattops.

Lots of good camping and long shooting lanes up on the Uncompahgre plateau. But it's even farther away from the state's center of mass than the grand mesa. The Divide Road country is about 1.5 hours SSW from Grand Jct.

Plenty of long shooting in the BLM land north of GJT. But it's like camping on the moon and hot as blazes in June-July.

With 2 jobs and a houseful of kids, I'm not volunteering to do much besides comment on here. Kind of chickenzhit I know, but I'm just being honest. If it does wind up being somewhere and when I could swing it, I'd love to join up.

sd

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There was nothing wrong with the place where we camped last year. It had lots of room and lots of good camp spots sprinkled among the trees, that were not used. It was easily accessed from the county road. We could have accommodated many more people. We could walk over to the "range", which was almost 400 yards. I had a good time and I think everyone else did also. But there was nothing great about the camp spot either. The people who attended made it a lot of fun and I guess in the end, that's what it was all about.

KC

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I agree KC that last year's spot was really good for a large group. For those who weren't there last year, it was located Northwest of Lake George about 40 miles West of Colorado Springs.

The good thing about that area is that it is already scouted. We know what we get there.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KC

dogshooter:

KC

Technically, in a strict legal sense, it's impractical because you can't drive or park anywhere other than on a county road. Everything outside the road boundaries is closed to motor vehicles.

On another note I've heard all kinds of horror stories about LE in the Grasslands being pricks although I've never had a problem shooting there.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Law Enforcement are dicks everywhere.... especially when they don't know the law. I haven't run into one in over a year.... but I only shoot out there twice a week.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KC

There was nothing wrong with the place where we camped last year. It had lots of room and lots of good camp spots sprinkled among the trees, that were not used. It was easily accessed from the county road. We could have accommodated many more people. We could walk over to the "range", which was almost 400 yards. I had a good time and I think everyone else did also. But there was nothing great about the camp spot either. The people who attended made it a lot of fun and I guess in the end, that's what it was all about. KC

Sensible, here. The location can be interesting, but the few I have attended were made great by the people.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.