-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Getting into backpack hunting this year and intend to make a tradition of it with some buddies at work. I often hear the adage, buy as expensive equipment as you can afford... but I also hear people talking about going through alot of trial and error before finding what works best for them.

That was my long-winded approach to asking about the ALPS OutdoorZ Commander Freighter. It a pretty inexpensive entry for the external frame backpack and most of the reviews I've read said it's rugged and functional.

Anyone here have any experience with these?

"Bears are like gold... they're heavier than they look."
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have one. What are you looking to do with this and what are your expectations? That question needs to be answered before you settle on is this the pack for me. That being said, if I was planning on bivy hunting I would probably take my Kifaru or Kuiu ahead of this pack. It's a decent pack frame, especially for the price.

Brad
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I want the external frame to use for hauling any part of a kill the llamas can't carry. We're going to set up a "base camp" several miles from the trailhead then hike out for the hunt (staying overnight away from the base camp as the situation dictates). This package I'm looking at is the frame and "rifle carrying" pack. Looks like lots of pockets so I wouldn't have to dig around too much and external space to add the tent/tarp and sleeping bag.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a dana designs long bed external frame if you are interested.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by davidsapp
I have a dana designs long bed external frame if you are interested.

It looks like the Commander has more capacity and I like that the bag is removable. But thanks.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've never hauled anything with one, but I did spend a good amount of time looking one over at sportsmans warehouse.

The cotter pin attachments that secure the bag to the frame seem kinda flimsy, but you can go to a hardware store and get some stouter hardware. I was surprised by the weight, its fairly light for what it is.

For a low cost option, I think it would work fine (I almost bought one). Even if you just used the frame and a dry sack I think it would be fine.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Get the Dana. It is significantly larger. 6400 cu vs 5400 cu.

Alps commander is a decent unit but doesn't have load lifters.

Get a Kelty Cache Hauler and then replace the shoulder straps with Barney's modified frame shoulder straps and load lifters.

Then put a Barney's pack bag on it.

Good luck.
Thomas

Last edited by kaboku68; 02/13/14.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Get the Dana. It is significantly larger. 6400 cu vs 5400 cu.

Ok... now I'm intrigued. Apparently I rejected davidsapp's offer without proper research. davidsapp, would you mind giving a little info on your dana designs, pics are great too?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Here is some info on a Dana Terraframe.. Might not be what you are considering, but at least there are a few pics you can check out. It is different than davidsapp's long bed.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/8595597/FS_Dana_Design_K2_Terraframe_E

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,431
Posts18,470,796
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.