Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sonvolt
Perhaps this is just an exercise in brand loyalty, but I'm interested in hearing what you guys have to say. I'm looking to buy a general purpose all-around "one rifle" .30-06. The two designs that appeal to me most in current production rifles are the Winchester Mod 70 Featherweight and the Sako Bavarian.

Let's forget the significant price difference between the two for a moment and talk about accuracy out-of-the-box. Sako guarantees a 5-shot 1" group - so there's the standard. Would you guys expect a brand new (FN) Winchester to shoot as well as that? My understanding is their bedding and barrels are as good as they've ever been. Can one expect one-inch groups right out of the box?

I have no dog in the fight - I'm truly interested in you guys' thoughts here.

DeWayne

Most here (that know me) know that I'm very biased toward the model 70. However, I wouldn't put money on the new Winchesters being more accurate than a sako out of the box. I personally put quite a bit of work into my winnies to make them shoot lights out. I've owned about 5 FN's and 4 of the 5 needed bedding work right off the bat. The triggers have all needed spring kits as well. If going for best out of the box accuracy, I'd opt for the Tikka or Sako..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I own both over the years. I have found them to shoot about equal. I do have a high end Winchester that is more accurate than either of my past Sako's or Winchester M70. The new M70 from Carolina are top notch.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mystro; 02/22/14.

The Lord loves humility.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The fact that the OP didn't refer to steyr showed he has no idea what real accuracy from a factory rifle is.
200 yards, 20" 376 steyr shooting 270 flat based soft points with a 7x scope...
[Linked Image]
Various 308 carbines...
[Linked Image]
5 shot group
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya
Here�s my Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine in 308 Winchester. Blue steel, oil finished wood with contrasting grip cap and fore-end. It also has a set trigger that breaks at about 9 oz when set. At the bench or off a shooting rest, that will spoil ya�.

[Linked Image]

Geedubya,

Nice looking scope mounting. Are those Burris "drive on" dual dovetail bases? Burris or Leupold rings? I think the rings look like other Leupold rings that I have.

Those are nice clean looking mounts and I might look into using them on one of my Sakos!

Also, that picture nicely shows how good the oil finish is on Sakos. I don't know why more manufacturers don't use a real oil finish like this. They look great, and are easy to touch up when field use puts a few scratches on a stock! Maybe cheaper wood looks better stained and poly finished...?

John

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Never have driven tacks but my 1 1/2" rifles have killed an azzload of critters, M70's, M77's, M700's and lame azz Mauser's being in the mix. I say M70 on your case. Never warmed up to Sako's.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
No doubt that Steyr are fine rifles.

But then again its hard to be a renaissance man these days, and we all have our individual biases and preferences.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/DSCN0381.jpg[/img]

and I like to have an exit strategy.

Very little trouble extricating ones self from a Sako.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I agree above,......Most of our love with our rifles go way beyond just accuracy. Its easy to fall in love with the lines of a rifle or beauty of a stock. Some rifles will always be more accurate than others due to a host of factors even with in the same brand. Some of these factors can be corrected and others may not be worth it. If you get too technical or anilitical, its easy to kill the joy of the rifle. I think that is the difference between us guys that never sell our guns or those that trade them all the time. Once you reach a acceptable level of accuracy for the task at hand, you learn to overlook some of its shortcomings and chalk them up as character.

Last edited by mystro; 02/22/14.

The Lord loves humility.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
jpb,

those are Redfield Bases and Leupold Rings. Never had a problem with either, but I don't toss my rifles into creek beds or onto a pile of rocks nor shoot at a grand.

As to oil finishies, I prefer and oil finish. As you say, one can touch up the character marks at his pleasure.

I've been surprised a the timber that can be found on some of the older Sakos once the old finish has been removed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is a beater that I stripped the old finished and re-finished with numerous coats of Tru-oil.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and a Deluxe that was a mess when I got it. Tru-oil finish once again, just gloss not satin.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/DSCN4719.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/DSCN4726.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/DSCN4727.jpg[/img]

Best,

GWB

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No doubt that Steyr are fine rifles.

But then again its hard to be a renaissance man these days, and we all have our individual biases and preferences.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/DSCN0381.jpg[/img]

and I like to have an exit strategy.

Very little trouble extricating ones self from a Sako.

Best,

GWB

Awesome shooting GWB!! I don't have a problem getting my Winchesters to shoot or even my Rugers for that matter. From what I've personally seen with the new FN's, I'd still take a Sako for out of the box accuracy. It's not a matter of personal preference here as I much prefer my pre 64's, but that wasn't on the list. wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mystro,

10/4 on what you said. I do find in my old age two things.
First I can't shoot as good as I used to.
Second I'm not as anal about small groups as I once was.

I have two Merkel K-1's and a Blaser R-93. I've not yet acquired a Steyr. Several have called out to me, but so far I've been able to resist their siren song.
I passed on a pro hunter the other day, it was in 7 mag and at a very attractive price. I've kicked myself a couple of times but at the moment I was financially embarrassed (broke). I do believe there will be both a Steyr, most likely a Mannlicher, and a Sauer 202 in the gunsafe before too long.

Best,

GWB

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GWB, Very nice rifles you have there. As mentioned earlier, I have an Finnbear circa '68-'69 in .270 Win. Now, I'm on the prowl for the same model in 25-06. Gotta like those Sako's.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
BSA,

Each of the groups pictured were from dead stock Sakos. The one rifle I've had built was on a Sako S-491 action. The gunsmith I had chamber and screw on a barrel commented on how much he enjoyed Sako actions. Seems he doesn't have to do anything to true them.

Best,

GWB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do any of you guys know where I can find/buy a Sako recoil pad for the Finnbear model? Thanks.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Old or new

[Linked Image]

Sakos will do.

Best,

GWB

Love my old Sakos (as well as my model 70's) What caliber is the Sako on bottom? The beavertail forend looks cool. I like it.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Easy Sako, and in the extremely unlikely event you get one that will not shoot it is covered by the guaranty, which is just an insurance policy. If you get a M70 that won't shoot you are facing $ to try and get it there which can be $$$, or a deep discount to sell to someone that thinks they can get it to shoot, or find someone who does not care about accuracy (getting harder to do), and in my case this is always after spending a fortune in brass, powder, primers and bullets trying to find the one magic MOA load.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've heard that too. I have to say, I love your older sako's. I've been eyeballing an older 7mm rem mag L61R Finnbear(I believe). A friend has it and it shoots lights out. He's selling it on the cheap too....Too damn many guns to be bought and not enough money laugh sick

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rifletom
GWB, Very nice rifles you have there. As mentioned earlier, I have an Finnbear circa '68-'69 in .270 Win. Now, I'm on the prowl for the same model in 25-06. Gotta like those Sako's.

Sir,

I've told the tale often that when I was born, my folks were so poor that they couldn't afford a name for me, only ititials.
My dad nor none of his brothers hunted. His whole life he had a Browning sweet 16. That was the only gun he bought for himself and did so in 1958. I have it now.

Growing up I was able to score second hand gun rags from a kid down the street whose dad hunted and owned guns. I swore to myself as a kid that if I ever made any money I'd own some rifles. I guess you could say I've gone off the deep end.

The first rifle I purchased when I started collecting was an old wood stocked Savage 112 FV. The stock had been spray painted black, none to carefully. IIRC, paid $175 for it and +/- $20 for a Simmons scope.
The next rifle I bought was the heavy barreled Sako l61r Varmint in 7Mag.

I've never looked back. Sakos were my first love and I've owned a bunch. Out of the 20+ I've owned, only three have been purchased new. Pre-enjoyed Sakos can be great bargains, although it seems the price has been driven up lately.

Good luck on your quest. Hope you find a gem.

Best,

GWB

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rifletom
Do any of you guys know where I can find/buy a Sako recoil pad for the Finnbear model? Thanks.

I stand to be corrected, but most likely you will need to use a grind to fit pad.

Best,

GWB

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Love my old Sakos (as well as my model 70's) What caliber is the Sako on bottom? The beavertail forend looks cool. I like it.

That is an l61r Varmint, chambered in 7mm Rem. Mag. It was the first Sako I bought and my kids will have to fight over it. Got it from an old bench rest shooter.

Best,

GWB

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I want to be Geedubya's favorite grandson!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (280Ackleyrized, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 3040Krag, 1936M71, 45 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,046
Posts18,521,156
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.