Hop To
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Oh I'm a huge fan of the 223, and it would be a delightful choice with other bullet options. But with the Kimber it's not quite as simple as just loading up 75s and killing stuff. Modifications need to take place.

The 243 is simply the easiest way to get from A to B, and good accurate factory ammo is available if the OP decides not to reload.

Simple and easy sounds good.

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Originally Posted by geedubya
IIRC one should have at least one cartridge diameter purchase or in this case

I've heard this rule too, but it makes loading anything for the .300 Winchester Mag impossible. which makes me skeptical of the rule, bc my .300 win mag seem to work pretty well (other than the excessive noise & recoil ...).

Sir,
respectfully

here is a 300 Win Mag factory cartridge, 150 gr. Tipped Barnes bullet. COAL is 3.305" SAAMI Max is 3.340OAL.

[Linked Image]

Note the pix. there are two markings on the 150 gr. Ballistic tip (green tip). The mark closest to the tip is COAL 3.340" the second closest to the case mouth is 3.305". This would allow for a minimum of .490" of bullet purchase, significantly more than .308"

The second bullet is a 200 grain Nosler Accubond. By my measurement there will be approx. .813" of bullet inside the case at a COAL of 3.340".

Best,

GWB

Gdub, oh I hear ya on seating the bullet as deep as you want. But as ive heard it opined, the point of the rule was neck engagement/tension. the .300 win mag cain't have a minimum .308" of neck engagement to boolit.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Whilst kissing 75's would require some minor mods to a .223 Montana, the 62X COAL is well within .223 mag confines and is a mean motor scooter when launched at 3k+ in its SAAMI form.

Don't forget that some States have a .243 minimum for deer....

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

Gdub, oh I hear ya on seating the bullet as deep as you want. But as ive heard it opined, the point of the rule was neck engagement/tension. the .300 win mag cain't have a minimum .308" of neck engagement to boolit.

Sir,

My apologies to you.

In that regard you were/are correct and I was wrong.

As I tell my kids, I knew that once, but I've slept since yesterday.

Without trying to beat it to death, I guess one of my pet peeves was showing. I tend to be an iconoclast.

I've loaded many different chamberings in numerous calibers, most, production rifles.

[Linked Image]

If I counted right, the pix above contains 36 different modified cases. In developing loads to be used to kill stuff in the past, I always checked out the max OAL cartridge lengths each rifle would accommodate. As stated previously many rifles are long throated. Over the years, I've almost quit loading "off the lands. Maybe I should call it Gdub's rule, but I want at least a cartridge diameter of bullet inside the case mouth. I may neck size with a collet die or even polish an expander ball to get more neck tension, but for concentric loads one needs sufficient purchase on a bullet. I still determine COAL, but typically load a few thousandths over the SAAMI book OAL.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

The 243 is simply the easiest way to get from A to B, and good accurate factory ammo is available if the OP decides not to reload.

One particular Alaskan Midget can't figure that out...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'dubya,

The Texas version of everything...is just [bleep] simply hilarious!

Really enjoyed the Treatise on the Goat [bleep] Custom 270.

Re-WOW.

Simply shut the [bleep] up,take notes and apply same. You are in sooooooo far over your [bleep] head,that it's a shame it's beyond your comprehension to savvy.

Hint.

'dawg6,

It bears fruit to pay heed to constriction values and I've long been a .003" Slut of the highest magnitude,due the beauty of moly and it's inherent attributes.

'Course lotsa folks miss that one too.

pointer,

I'd submit that a Montucky 223 flingin' Factory Fodder,would play hell on the Venison population.

'Course I'm granting the courtesy of there being no crossed-eyes,in the equation.(grin)

FO',

I hear good thangs about reserve RPM.

Even in a "lowly" 223.(grin)

'goat,

I'd rather mod a mag to kiss a 75'Max in 223...than Imagine to Pretend that it's "difficult" and refrain the inherent splendor.

'Course ignorance is Bliss and you are on a [bleep] roll!

Laffin'!

WYC,

Boolits matter more than headstamps and the pinnacle in 223,is the 75A-Max.

Hint.

'Clark,

It don't get easier,simpler or funner than a 223.

Yesssssssssss...that'd be another [bleep] hint.

Hint.

'gant,

The 75'Max in the Montucky has no equal,though in fairness...I do squirt 62's quite a lot faster than 3Kfps.

Hint.

Brad,

You Whining Do Nothing Kchunt...there sure as schit ain't no way to slight how WELLfounded your insecurities are.

As per always,I'm looking forward to another Whine and more Excuses,frosted copiously with your Imagination and Pretend,in no particular [bleep] order.

Laffin'!

Someone who "knows" as "much" as you,is always best served by asking questions,instead of giving "answers".

Bless your heart.

You should stay with making burgers,instead of talking out your ass.

Laffin'!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Boxer
'dubya,

The Texas version of everything...is just [bleep] simply hilarious!

[Linked Image]

Ya' know B,

I'se beginnin to think ya din't luv me anymore.

Best,

GWB

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
dubya, what is that the Texas version of???? Looks like he's wearin' goggles!!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
G',

It certainly weren't my intent to infer in the slightest,that I don't get a kick outta your doing your best and the oblivious hilarity inherent them feeble efforts and incredible ineptitude.

Congratulations?!?

I'll feign my "surprise",that you quit trying to talk about Rifles...despite the great strides you thought you were making.

Laffin'!

Looking forward as per always,to more of your dumbfhukktitude.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by smokepole
dubya, what is that the Texas version of???? Looks like he's wearin' goggles!!!

That's a hill country hoglet.....

[Linked Image]

one of several that were dispatched to the "Petting Zoo" in the sky in the not too distant past.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/21/14.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
G',

It certainly weren't my intent to infer in the slightest,that I don't get a kick outta your doing your best and the oblivious hilarity inherent them feeble efforts and incredible ineptitude.

Congratulations?!?

I'll feign my "surprise",that you quit trying to talk about Rifles...despite the great strides you thought you were making.

Laffin'!

Looking forward as per always,to more of your dumbfhukktitude.

B,

No problem,

[Linked Image]

keep a sharp eye peeled.

As I told you in 2010 at our first acquaintance on AR, and mid-way last year, here, bring your lunch. We'll be havin' a ball.

[Linked Image]

Seems there are reportedly about 4,000,000 hoglets in Texas

[Linked Image]

lots more wood and WAM's in the gunsafe.

[Linked Image]

and more on the way.

Best,

GWB

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
G,

I'll feign my "surprise",that your sharing "all" your Reloading "experience" has come to a closure. Too bad,because that schit was especially [bleep] hilarious! Fascinating to me,that so many clueless [bleep] wish to brag upon how incredibly slow they "learn". The Geriatric Jeff-O "Learning" Curve is poignantly poetic. Laffin'!

Now you wish to reiterate your being a Turd in a punch bowl and thatcha' giggle when you bite the bubbles?!?

Compelling,as always.

Laffin'!

You'll always do better taking notes and applying same.

Hint.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
B,

as always, I appreciate your words of encouragement and support.

I've taken a note or two. That is a fact.

[Linked Image]

Loaded for a chambering or two

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

hunted a few places

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/DSC04121.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/DSCN2406-1.jpg[/img]

and killed a few critters

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/wtdbv6.jpg[/img]

and unlike some................... I'll never know it all.

But that's OK too.

Anyway, that's how I see it from Texas

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/TexasViews/IMG_07961_zpsfbdf6c74.jpg[/img]

Best,

GWB

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

'gant,

The 75'Max in the Montucky has no equal,though in fairness...I do squirt 62's quite a lot faster than 3Kfps.

Hint.

You's preachin' to the choir. You usually don't miss much but I did say 3k *+* for squirting 62's for those that are slow outta the gate, while giving the 62X option for those that aren't equally skilled in the art and 'smithing with a dremel, hammer and screwdriver to achieve 75 'Max bliss.... *grin*

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boxer,

Could you give a quick tutorial on mag mod for a 223 Tucky?

J

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For kids, wife, and you... plus deer at 200y or less seems like a 223 would be an absolute blast. Wouldn't even worry about the 75gr AMAX, yet. Deal with that later.

Like this idea myself. Even saw some 223 cat-fart loads in the Hodgdon manual. Not sure how accurate, but would be a heck of a way to get the kids going if jumping from rimfire to centerfire is too much. And, in the same rifle they'll shoot the real loads. Probably just need a few to make the transition.

Had a Salvage in 243 with milk-jug stock that I bought just for the action. Before dismantling it, I shot a few boxes for why-not. Was actually surprised by how much recoil it had! Was expecting less, much less. Not a heavy kicker of course, but more obnoxious that I thought it would be with factory ammo. Had a lightweight 300 Win Mag fetish at that time so I was not recoil shy either.

I think that ~6.25lb Salvage 243 would be too much for many smaller kids and probably many women especially from prone or in volume. Even if it weren't, I don't see how anyone could argue that they'd not shoot more in 223. Once my boys are old enough, I want them shooting buckets of 223. Not just 10 or 20 rounds of 243.

A 243 Kimber will be much nicer than that Salvage by a mile, but it will still be over 1-lb. lighter. A 223 just seems to make more sense for what you want/need.

Jason

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
or you could throw a 260 Rem. in the mix.

[Linked Image]

My grandson Jacob on his 12th birthday with his first deer. He used my Kimber Montana in 260 Rem., 120 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/22/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gee,

I don't think they offer the 260 anymore.

J

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
You're prolly right.

BTDT on Kimbers. Owned 7, 4 wood stocked classics and 3 Montanas IIRC. Zero now, so I don't really keep up with Kimber anymore.

Might find one pre-enjoyed though if that chambering was an option.

Best,

GWB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
they don't frown

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (1minute, 673, 1_deuce, 29aholic, 5sdad, 27 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,081
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.