Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Anybody used a Kimber M96? Results/dislikes/weight/stock opt......whatcha got?

Thanks

Greg

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
HR IC

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The one on VAGT is a decent buy if that's what your looking at.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Pretty damn primitive. Stocks are ramline or something similar. Its transition era Kimber, between KoO and KoA. I had an 82c from that time period, the checkering was the most crooked sloppy mess ive ever seen on a gun.

Dont let the Kimber name on it sway your decision, its a roughly sporterized military mauser. With that said,for $400.00 its still a good deal if you're wanting one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The stocks are Ramlines, which aren't great, but are exponentially better than the Choates.

I would consider the Kimber Sweds to be minimally sporterized and not particularly well done. Some have a brushed nickel finish that I have seen advertised as being stainless.

Given that there are good, reasonably priced, commercial options, the Marlin X guns and the Ruger American Rifles, that will cost less than a properly reworked military Mauser, I would give the Kimber Sweds a thumbs down.

However, as with many things, YMMV.

Jeff

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When KOA was on the verge of bankruptcy it was an attempt by them to try to generate some money by selling something with the once well thought of Kimber name it.

Actions were ex-military Mausers, stocks were Ramline injection moulded POS's, and barrels were from God knows who. IIRC correctly they could be had for well less than $200 full retail, Kimber probably had $50 in them.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Kimber Sweds in 6.5x55 that I have seen have all had shortened military barrels. I have seen them with shortened and recrowned 1896 barrels and standard length M38 barrels.

My impression of these rifles is that there was little, if any, effort made to weed out the poorer quality barreled action. I've built several rifles on Swedish military Mauser actions, but always on 1942/43 vintage Husqvarnas, the best of the best pre-1898 SR military Mausers.

Jeff

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Thanks for the info

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[quoteand barrels were from God knows who][/quote]

Wilson barrels, same barrels they have always used.

Same with Cooper Firearms.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have one of the Kimber Swede's. The stock is ugly, the finish on the metal is poor, the trigger was hideous, but I put a timney in it and it will flat out shoot. It just makes a ragged hole at 100 yards.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That time period they were putting out quality comparable to century's ak builds

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have one that I put a Timney trigger in. It is a lightweight hunting rifle that has extremely low recoil. With 129 Horns or 125 Partitions it is extremely accurate. It has felt recoil that is less than my .243 and has been used allot as a youth hunting rifle by multiple kids. It ain't pretty but it is an extremely practical hunting tool. I would not pay a whole lot for one but would jump all over another one if I thought it was a decent deal.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A friend of mine picked up a Kimber Mauser in 280 REM a couple of years ago.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't forget that, except for the 6.5x55s, the rest of the Kimber Mausers were built on 98 actions and, as noted, have aftermarket barrels.

All of the Kimber Mausers in 6.5x55 that I've seen were sporterized with the least amount of effort and expense to get them out the door.

Jeff

Last edited by 260Remguy; 02/23/14.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Cheap rilfes for sure but got Greg Warne and Les Edleman (sp)?
enough cash to get KOA going with their 1911's. The rest is history.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by wirtbowhunter
I have one of the Kimber Swede's. The stock is ugly, the finish on the metal is poor, the trigger was hideous, but I put a timney in it and it will flat out shoot. It just makes a ragged hole at 100 yards.

This is my experience as well. I still regret that I sold it. Yes, they are a basic Swede sporter. They are what they are and those I know of are/were very good shooters. The trigger on mine was fine, two stage but good. Consistently accurate and trouble free.

Last edited by OldRooster; 02/23/14.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mohawk pretty well summed it up.I bought mine when Kimber was selling them and still have it. I like it very much.

I guess if your too young to grow up in a time when most people had some kind of "sporterized" military rifle as their first gun you wouldn't see reason for owning one. My first was a 95 Mauser 7x57.

I still like going to the gun shop to search the used gun rack for something interesting. Some of those modified surplus guns where actually not too bad. The machining quality that went into some of those old rifles are far better then any of todays commercial guns. You just have to have an open mind and keep looking until you find what you like. I still drool over a friends .35 Whelen Springfield.

Yes the 96 Mauser has a two stage trigger that takes some getting used to but it isn't that bad and yes it's cock on closing which bothers some folks but I find mine very accurate, super reliable and fairly light. It's was after all designed to shoot after getting drug through the mud and if all fails bludgeon the bad guys to death with. All my nice factory guns will likely be broken and useless before this gun ever dies. It makes a perfect truck gun that only needs cleaning once in a while to keep it going.

Last edited by Cougarz; 02/24/14.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (Amos63, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, AnthonyB, 9 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,668
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.