Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Had a conversation with several senior citizens the other day over coffee. They related that after morning coffee, they divide up which stores to hit for 22LR ammo of any kind. They rotate stores daily to avoid boredom. If ammo is located, they text each other, while waiting for the other to arrive, they hide the ammo if out of clerks site, and buy everything once the group arrives. Why? They advertise or take to gun shows for resale to supplement social security checks. None of these guys are shooters!

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
What is worse are the ones on welfare showing up every morning at store opening. Every single morning. The hard working people haven't a chance.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
should have put the boots to him and snapped a hip.

My diploma is a DD214
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yeah it's a epidemic. I think we should start doing the same to adult diapers reselling them at gun shows or eBay.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Excellent idea!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jbuck
Yeah it's a epidemic. I think we should start doing the same to adult diapers reselling them at gun shows or eBay.

I'm already hoarding those....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Similar info has turned up several times on the Campfire, among other places.

One guy even posted here about how he frequently bought more than the single box/brick limit of .22 rimfire at large stores. He'd take a different hat and coat along in his pickup, then after buying his limit of ammo, would take it out to his pickup, change his hat and coat and put on sunglasses, then go back inside and buy another limit. He seemed proud of his technique.

And yet some people here still believe the shortage is entirely due to a .gov conspiracy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Nah, just idiots that live in the city limits and never shoot that are sitting on 15K rounds.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Gibby
What is worse are the ones on welfare showing up every morning at store opening. Every single morning. The hard working people haven't a chance.

That's my local crowd. They can't work a job, but they can resale ammo and firearms at the local flea markets and guns shows.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd like to know who is buying ammo at the scalpers' prices. I can see someone who is completely dry paying a big price for maybe one brick, but is anyone actually loading up on crap ammo at $.10 to $.20 per round?

By the way, I was in one of the better LGSs today, and they had a small supply of .22s of various types and were limiting you to 100 rounds. Didn't check the prices, but heard the salesman tell another customer something about "gold".

I did score a can of LiL Gun and some primers.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/24/14.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had my son with me when I found federal HPs for 1.90 /50 rounds.

I bought my 2 box limit, and said he needs two as well. The guy said he has to be 18! I said he's the one shooting all the ammo though!

Nope, can't allow a kid to get two boxes too. I guess that's actually okay, the school bus driver would show up with a bus full of children and buy them out.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

Fair enough.... ;-)/

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Hoarding does seem to be the activity of the older white male, I don't see 21 year old women in the photos. Saw some .22 ammo at my local gun store last week, was amazed. The owner wanted $50.00 a brick for Remi Thunder duds, I did not buy any, he seemed disappointed. I wonder if he is doing the early morning visits at the local Wally world too.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
My local Bass Pro Shop had 50 rounds of Federals for $12.99
They only had 8 boxes and it was funny to watch people grab a box and put them back on the shelf once they saw the asking price.

Reggie

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by HE112
Hoarding does seem to be the activity of the older white male, I don't see 21 year old women in the photos. Saw some .22 ammo at my local gun store last week, was amazed. The owner wanted $50.00 a brick for Remi Thunder duds, I did not buy any, he seemed disappointed. I wonder if he is doing the early morning visits at the local Wally world too.

HE112, I've bought 4 bricks of Thunderbolts at the local Cabelas over the last 3 months at $21.99 + tax /per brick. I bought them to shoot and help out friends who didn't have any and while they don't group with target ammo or Federals and WW they do ok ,.883" at 50 yds average of 5 (5shot groups). some other brands did better some worse, yeah I shot them thru a M453 HB CZ that shoots well and sure someone else might have trimmed that to less. Everyone went off. At sometime in the past there might have been a lot with problems,it happens but to keep calling them sh*t shows your lack of perspective. Magnum Man

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Similar info has turned up several times on the Campfire, among other places.

One guy even posted here about how he frequently bought more than the single box/brick limit of .22 rimfire at large stores. He'd take a different hat and coat along in his pickup, then after buying his limit of ammo, would take it out to his pickup, change his hat and coat and put on sunglasses, then go back inside and buy another limit. He seemed proud of his technique.

And yet some people here still believe the shortage is entirely due to a .gov conspiracy.

Dang, JB that's almost like work!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I had my son with me when I found federal HPs for 1.90 /50 rounds.

I bought my 2 box limit, and said he needs two as well. The guy said he has to be 18! I said he's the one shooting all the ammo though!

Nope, can't allow a kid to get two boxes too. I guess that's actually okay, the school bus driver would show up with a bus full of children and buy them out.

He should of let you buy two also for your son, come on now, got to keep the kids interested in hunting, not like he was letting you buy two bricks for him. When I was a kid two boxes would of lasted me maybe 5 mins if I was luckey

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I went to the Local Gun Show on Saturday for the first time in two years. Saw a bunch of idiots selling 500 round bricks for $100. I didn't see anyone buying them, though. It's idiots like these who have created the shortage, and the idiots who buy at that price that keeps the shortage going! Rant Over! cool

Last edited by chlinstructor; 02/24/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd like to know who is buying ammo at the scalpers' prices.

That's easy:

IDIOTS

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seniors hording 22LR LOL.

I have a fair stock of 22LR my grand chillens shoot most of it.

Last weekend I went to a local gun show. There was 22LR ammo to be had if you were a fool. You see you guys are the problem you will pay some slimmy little ass hole $75 for a brick because you don't have a F'n brain.

I saw some on one table a regular at our show. I walked up and saw it maked $75. He asked me if he could help me. I just no you don't have anything I need and walked on.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One advantage to being a senior is that we have learned from experience whereas you young whelps haven't had any experience yet and so haven't learned anything. For instance, we geezers have been through several shortages and contrived shortages of various types over the years, and , recalling our Boy Scout training, are prepared for such things. We lay in stores of stuff while the getting is good. Sorry you kids don't have any ammo, better luck next time. wink

Gotta lay in some more Depends when the store opens tomorrow. laugh

Last edited by jnyork; 02/24/14.

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jnyork
One advantage to being a senior is that we have learned from experience whereas you young whelps haven't had any experience yet and so haven't learned anything. For instance, we geezers have been through several shortages and contrived shortages of various types over the years, and , recalling our Boy Scout training, are prepared for such things. We lay in stores of stuff while the getting is good. Sorry you kids don't have any ammo, better luck next time. wink

I'll get the pop corn, this is going to get good

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The writing was on the wall in 2005. The UN started paying countries to destroy their surplus ammo instead of selling it on the open market.
If you didn't buy .22 LR at $12 per brick in 2008. Boo-Hoo.
If you didn't buy .22 LR when it was $19 a brick up until Mid 2012 then how many more warnings do you need ?
The price can change overnight or with the stroke of a pen.
Only a schmuck would pay these prices now and only a schmuck would fail to stock up.....

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just bought a case today.

Paid $725 for it that was up $25 from the case I bought last year. There was a case of 17hm2's for the same price.

I wish I could find some cheap ammo for the kid though. He has been stuck shooting mild reloads in the 223.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

I went to Rite Aid this morning and they limited me to 4 packs of Maximum Absorbancy Briefs. The bastards! I went back to the truck and sent my grandson in for 4 more. Ha! I gave him 4 bricks of my Mini Mag stash for his trouble. Well time to change, things is gettin' squishy.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have close to 10,000 rounds of 22 ammo in my stock and i don't sell, but have gave some of my friends a couple of thousand rounds in the last couple of months . I purchased my rimfire ammo before this chit storm hit the market.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I wish I could find some cheap ammo for the kid though. He has been stuck shooting mild reloads in the 223.

That ain't "stuck", that is SMART.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

1+ on this. I started restocking what was left from my pre-Clinton stash when Obama looked like he might win in the spring of 2008.

Don't need anymore Depends. Got plenty of those also.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Better stock up while the gettin' is good. eek

Looks like the little snot brats are up to no good and planning some revenge on us old fooks they thinks been hoardin' ammo on 'em, while they were all out eatin' their quiche?

smirk

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Reminds me of my gramps. He use to buy. Few boxes of ammo everytime we went to the store. According to him "it never goes bad" and we always had ammo to shoot when we wanted. We would reload thousands of rounds every week to shoot it all every weekend.

I learned more then I ever thaught from him.

S
S
Originally Posted by dubePA

Better stock up while the gettin' is good. eek
Looks like the little snot brats are up to no good and planning some revenge on us old fooks they thinks been hoardin' ammo on 'em, while they were all out eatin' their quiche? smirk

Dang whippersnappers. mad

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bea175
I have close to 10,000 rounds of 22 ammo in my stock and i don't sell, but have gave some of my friends a couple of thousand rounds in the last couple of months . I purchased my rimfire ammo before this chit storm hit the market.

slacker...................

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I stocked up before 4 years ago shortage. I have helped many others out, by selling 22 ammo to them at costs. It gave me a chance to weed out different brands, while helping others. I do not feel guilty for stock-piling up some 22's. You youngsters better start using your heads. My Federal 550 packs were bought for less than $10.00. Eat your hearts out crybabies.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Per usual on the Campfire, after more than maybe 5 posts, many people are now only reading the headline of this thread, and not the rest. Apparently wanting to read as little as possible isn't just a characteristic of the "smart phone" generation.

This thread was started by "buddydog", who used the wrong word--and not just because he misspelled "hoarding." His original post is actually about re-selling rimfire ammo--or scalping, gouging or whatever you want to call it:

"Had a conversation with several senior citizens the other day over coffee. They related that after morning coffee, they divide up which stores to hit for 22LR ammo of any kind. They rotate stores daily to avoid boredom. If ammo is located, they text each other, while waiting for the other to arrive, they hide the ammo if out of clerks site, and buy everything once the group arrives. Why? They advertise or take to gun shows for resale to supplement social security checks. None of these guys are shooters!"

These people are not hoarding .22 ammo.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
No, they are not hoarding. They're reselling at a profit. But it stinks when we want to buy a brick of 22LR at the store at a reasonable price

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by buddydog
Had a conversation with several senior citizens the other day over coffee. They related that after morning coffee, they divide up which stores to hit for 22LR ammo of any kind. They rotate stores daily to avoid boredom. If ammo is located, they text each other, while waiting for the other to arrive, they hide the ammo if out of clerks site, and buy everything once the group arrives. Why? They advertise or take to gun shows for resale to supplement social security checks. None of these guys are shooters!
God forbid,them old fockers. smirk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I rarely see .22 ammo available at gun shows around here, at any price. Maybe a box or two of high priced bulk packs or a few boxes of higher end stuff at inflated prices. There are no senior citizen tables piled high with ammo.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Google ".22 rimfire ammo for sale" on the Internet.

John Steinbeck
S
S
And what will/should we find?

Last edited by Shotgun12; 02/26/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I purchased my ammo for my own use and don't sell at cost or for a profit . I help out my friend when they need it , but don't take their money for my help.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Shotgun12,

You'll find a lot of .22 ammo available--most at prices well above normal retail.

I'm like bea175. I keep a good supply of rimfire ammo on hand, but haven't sold any to anybody since the panic started. Have given a few boxes away here and there, and donated a brick of .22 Long Rifle to the local hunter safety course, because they couldn't find any in the local stores.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not sure I know what normal retail is anymore. I try to go by cents per round. I track my costs very close. Up until the end of 2013 an average cost of 6 to 8 cents per round was good, now it's more like 10 cents and often 12 cents. On line prices up to 45 cents and scammer prices double that and more. Normal isn't normal anymore.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
S
S
Mule Deer,
I really wasn't looking foreword to doing this search, due to the fact that I know it would probably keep me reading well past my bedtime (us old ammo-hoardin' farts need our sleep tired ).
I've done many searches, and even though there are many dealers out there listing ammo for sale, when you go onto their site, you'll find that most all are 'Out of Stock', even though some even claim to have sales going on .... for ammo they don't even have in stock.
I'm glad that you are not part of this problem, as I'm sure most here are not either. I am also not a hoarder, or profiteer as I purchased all of mine at least 3 to 5 years back, when stocks were plentiful and I'm glad I did, but that's just how I operate.
I can't help but wonder what caliber(s) will be next in line to be 'in shortage'.
Whatever it turns out to be, I plan to be good-to-go whatever comes down. wink

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
My Federal 550 packs were bought for less than $10.00. Eat your hearts out crybabies.

Beat ya:) Bought more Federal 550 packs than I care to admit from Wal Mart for $8.97. Wife thought I was nuts when I spent over $500 on .22's. Now she thinks (sometimes) I actually knew what I was doing.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just now did a quick search on GunBroker for ammo sold by one dealer in Missoula, MT. The search took me maybe 30 seconds to complete. Below is a list of their recently completed GB auctions of 22LR ammo, mostly all sold within the last two months. BTW, I was in this store last month, and guess what, they didn't have any 22LR ammo on the shelf for their local customers. So, where is all this ammo going, into someone's basement or is it being resold again and again and again...

GB Item #
Ad Title
# of Bids, Final Selling Price

5000rd case CCI Mini-Mag 22LR AMMO 38gr HP NOT REM
11, $706.00
5000rd case CCI 22LR TARGET Standard Velocity 40gr
14 $610.00
5000rd Case CCI BLAZER 40g 22LR ammunition 22 AMMO
23 $570.00
14 $565.00
13 $561.00
20 $544.00
5000rd case Federal Game Shock 712 22LR Prem AMMO
29 $536.00
13 $526.00
16 $491.00
5250rd CASE Federal Champion 22LR AMMO 36gr HP
10 $480.00
5000rd case Federal Game Shock 712 22LR Prem AMMO
14 $466.00
9 $466.00
6 $461.00
13 $460.01
6 $460.01
7 $456.00
5 $456.00
7 $455.00
5000 Case Federal American Eagle 40gr .22LR AE5022
10 $445.00
2000rds CCI Mini-Mag 22LR ammo 40gr Not REM WIN
21 $355.00
1500rd CCI STINGER 22LR 32GR HP .22 .22LR AMMO NR!
15 $291.00
3000rd Federal American Eagle 22LR 40gr AE5022 CCI
9 $270.00
2000RDS FEDERAL 810 .22LR 40GR PREMIUM AMMO 22
8 $248.00
2000rd Case Winchester Super Speed .22LR AMMO 37gr
11 $211.00
1000rd Gemtech 22LR Ammo Silencer Subsonic CCI REM
16 $180.00
1998rds Winchester .22LR 36GR Plated HP AMMO 22
15 $175.00
1500rd CCI 22LR TARGET Standard Velocity 40gr
10 $155.00
1000rd CCI 40gr SUB-SONIC .22LR AMMO SUBSONIC 22
8 $125.00
1400rds Federal Auto Match 22AM 22LR AMMO
9 $106.00
500rds CCI SUPPRESSOR 22LR 45gr HP SUBSONIC Ammo
10 $90.00

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Only a phuggin idiot would not blame democrats for all the gun and ammo woes. And that dude; ain't no conspiracy.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
MTDD fan +10, You've nailed it in the bullseye. See it happen all the time also. You did a good job following the facts on this. We have a local dealer around here who has for the last 5 years plus marketed all his better used guns online. He gets more money for them with less hassel and no layaway problems. Would not surprise me if he wasn't doing the same with what 22 ammo he gets as there hasn't been any on his shelves for over a year.Can't blame a guy for wanting to profit but that don't build much of a local customer base or buyer loyalty either. Magnum Man

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Down here...22 ammo is still difficult to come by! Wallyworld will get it but if you aren't there when they put it out, it's gone! I am just now seeing 223 rounds on the shelf there. When you find it on line, it may be a good price but they usually catch you w/ shipping. I was in a Wallyworld the other day and they actually had 50 BMG rounds, that was a 1st fer me! I see folks on craigslist selling ammo but they try to make as much as they can fer them! luckily I bought a bunch before the "scare"...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
watch4bear,

Fear of what the Democrats WANT to do is definitely the reason for the ammo woes.

But the only "conspiracy" anybody's been able to find evidence for is disorganized panic buying--and I doubt most of the people doing that are Democrats, though you never know. There haven't been any exit polls of people leaving Wal-Marts with bricks of .22 ammo.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If we believe the stories about what happens to most of Walmart's 22 ammo, that'd be a pretty small poll sample to work with? ;O)

Here's what I know about the Fed. 550 packs (maroon boxes) supposedly only available at Walmart.

I have always bought them for the price and quantity, since they've been fairly accurate in most all of my rifles and shoot well in some others. And if someone needed ammo in any quantity, like youth groups, easy to lay off a bulk pack or two on 'em to keep the smiles coming.

Before the previous shortage they ran around $18.95 here, became very scarce during that shortage. Eventually some wound up for sale by the case or box, at various places other than the Walmart. And at greatly increased prices.

That tells me they were being siphoned out of the supply chain, either by someone at the distribution level, or by Walmart employees?

When that previous shortage eased, they were eventually back on the shelves at Walmart with a price increase to around $24.95 a box. No problem, still affordable enough to keep a supply on hand for the next rainy day period.

Haven't looked, wouldn't be surprised to find them available again at increased prices, from sources other than Walmart?

My own personal experience over the past year, has been seeing the Fed. Auto Match (325 count bulk) that I shoot lots of, going for triple the previous price.

Bought a box last month from a local gun shop for around $18, which is about what it was before the fun started again. Have seen it at other shops (and at shows) for anywhere from $40 to $70 a box.

The small dealer that had it for $18, now keeps it out of sight when he gets some in and mostly available for regular customers that he knows want it to shoot, not to resell.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Some Wal-Mart employees have been implicated on diverting .22 ammo from store shelves, but there are a lot people showing up when Wal-Marts open on the days when rimfire ammo will be out.

And then there are the Internet "helpers" who immediately post when .22 ammo is found in any store, anywhere--or on any Internet site.

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Supply and demand. The ammo companies are jumping through their arses to make the stuff, but the panic buyers/hoarders/scalpers are jumping through their arses too.

So what if you don't have multiple thousands of rounds of the stuff on hand. Find something else to do instead of squirting away a brick of .22's in the backyard. Take a class in something, read some books, take a little trip, build something with your own hands- anything to take your mind off the 'plight' (and maybe improve yourself in the meantime). My point is, if we collectively thumb our noses at the situation and stop the panicking and ranting about imaginary conspiracies things will get back to normal. As soon as there is no market for the scalper's wares they'll stop scalping. As soon as the apocalypse predictors realize that that's not likely, the hoarding will stop. As soon as the guys who get panicky if they don't have 10,000 rounds minimum stashed get a grip, the panic buying will stop. Result- plenty of ammo on the shelves.

Most of us are too young to remember, but during WWII there wasn't any fresh ammo to be had for love nor money. Unless you had a demonstrable need for .22's (such as a farmer with a vermin problem) you simply couldn't buy any- and those guys only got an occasional box or two. What did shooters do? They simply stopped shooting for a while. Guess what- the world kept on spinning, the sun continued to rise in the east, and things eventually got better.

Take a deep breath, sit back and have a beer, and laugh at the idiots who are deceiving themselves by contributing to a panic.

I enjoy plinking as much as the next guy but I refuse to be a party to all this nonsensical hoarding and paying artificially inflated prices. I have channeled my interests in a different direction, to whit cast bullets in CF .22's, and am having a blast, literally.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buy yourself rifle chambered in 22 Hornet , a lb of Lil'Gun, few hundred round boxes of 40 gr Hornady V-max's. Go hunting and enjoy shooting .

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That one way, for sure--IF you can find Hornet brass!

But there are even cheaper solutions. I'm finishing up a magazine article on that very subject right now.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

But there are even cheaper solutions. I'm finishing up a magazine article on that very subject right now.

I'd better start hoarding airgun pellets now in order to beat the rush following your article. wink

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
You don't need a pile of Hornet brass. Light loads of powder and cast bullets are super easy on brass. They'll last 'forever'.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great post, gnoahhh. I suggest archery. A $6 arrow can be shot many, many times.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As a kid i never run out of slingshot ammo , we lived on a dirt road and the state keep it graveled on a regular basis . I always had a pocket full of small rocks

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
But the only "conspiracy" anybody's been able to find evidence for is disorganized panic buying--and I doubt most of the people doing that are Democrats, though you never know.

Once again; think it through. Those who are out of 22 ammo, are the same ones who said the government will never come after our guns. The non- believers if you will. The same dolts who refused to believe the evidence in front of their faces

"Senator" Barak Obama

ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? Yes.
ban assault weapons? Yes.
mandatory waiting periods and background checks? Yes.

Exit poll that, and I think you'll find your answer.

MOLON LABE

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
All we can do is keep a cool head, and exercise the power of the vote- both in the voting booth and with our wallets.

Not all of those out of .22 ammo had their heads in the sand. Many, many people (most, I would posit) are very casual shooters who might only get out a couple times a year to shoot some tin cans or what have you. I wouldn't expect a guy who shoots a box or two a year to have stockpiled 15 bricks for a rainy day, no matter his political astuteness. Likewise there are a lot of people who simply can't afford to lay in a stunning amount of ammo for a rainy day. Things like food, rent, car payments, and school clothes have a tendency to take priority. Hoarding serves no good at any level, but especially so when the average Joe can't grab a box or two of .22's to take his kid out to the boonies to do a little plinking- that kid grows up deprived of an experience that could well sway him in later years to vote intelligently when gun related matters come up. Think about that unintended consequence the next time a buddy brags about cleaning out the shelves at WalMart.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very informative thread.

Based on the info here I've begun hijacking groups of seniors I see coming out of gun shops, Walmarts, etc., and have managed to score 37 bricks and 68 bulk packs of .22 ammo just in the last two weeks.

Not to mention three lifetimes worth of Depends....

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It bothers me there is something going on in America I'm not part of. Last time I bought ammo of any sort, or components was near 2 years ago. I did buy some casting equipment. Rock locks are really cheap to shoot and patch material is abundant.

Rock....on

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Personally, I've found other ways of getting trigger time that doesn't involve burning powder - archery and air rifle/pistol. So I'm simultaneously hoping that your article and others like it lead to a decrease in the demand for .22 LR, while fearing that in 6 months, I'll be unable to get .25 JSB Exacts...

So, would buying another 8 tins right now mean I'm an evil hoarder, or just being prudent wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have two flinters, oodles of projectiles, flints and about 3 or 4 pounds of fff and ffff. Can steal some of her fancy tops if I need patches.

Ya ain't prepared, ya ain't gonna last long if things go sideways.

Even though I haven't moved into depends yet, might go lay some in, just in case. Could always use 'em for "battlefield" dressings if need be?

She misses them fancy tops from her closet, I may incur some serious injuries

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
watch4bear,

"Think it through"? I tend to believe in harder evidence than what Obama or anybody else SAYS.

The hard evidence I've seen during the rimfire shortage is:

1) One of the major rimfire factories cranking out more ammo than they've ever made before. And they've been doing it for more than a year now. I also know people who've visited another big rimfire plant, and it's working the same way.

2) Plenty of .22 ammo on the Internet and at gun shows for $50 to $100 a brick. If somebody's quit making it, how dos it get there?

3) Gun-store clerks I've known for a long time telling me every time they get any rimfire ammo, it sells out very quickly, often to the same people.

So far I haven't seen any HARD evidence of Obama or anybody else in the government interrupting the rimfire supply. If you have, then I'd be happy to hear it. But your evidence seems to totally consist of what you want to suspect, not what you know.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I get so tired of all the whining about 22LR ammo. I guess us old SOBs are smarter that the rest of you. You sit around until there ain't any and whine about hoarders, old folks, and gougers having all the ammo. Sounds like they were all much smarter than you and bought it along. You sure as 'ell won't get any sympathy from me.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I get so tired of all the whining about 22LR ammo. I guess us old SOBs are smarter that the rest of you. You sit around until there ain't any and whine about hoarders, old folks, and gougers having all the ammo. Sounds like they were all much smarter than you and bought it along. You sure as 'ell won't get any sympathy from me.
Golly it's an honor to know you. Jerk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Supply and demand. The ammo companies are jumping through their arses to make the stuff, but the panic buyers/hoarders/scalpers are jumping through their arses too.

So what if you don't have multiple thousands of rounds of the stuff on hand. Find something else to do instead of squirting away a brick of .22's in the backyard. Take a class in something, read some books, take a little trip, build something with your own hands- anything to take your mind off the 'plight' (and maybe improve yourself in the meantime). My point is, if we collectively thumb our noses at the situation and stop the panicking and ranting about imaginary conspiracies things will get back to normal. As soon as there is no market for the scalper's wares they'll stop scalping. As soon as the apocalypse predictors realize that that's not likely, the hoarding will stop. As soon as the guys who get panicky if they don't have 10,000 rounds minimum stashed get a grip, the panic buying will stop. Result- plenty of ammo on the shelves.

Most of us are too young to remember, but during WWII there wasn't any fresh ammo to be had for love nor money. Unless you had a demonstrable need for .22's (such as a farmer with a vermin problem) you simply couldn't buy any- and those guys only got an occasional box or two. What did shooters do? They simply stopped shooting for a while. Guess what- the world kept on spinning, the sun continued to rise in the east, and things eventually got better.

Take a deep breath, sit back and have a beer, and laugh at the idiots who are deceiving themselves by contributing to a panic.

I enjoy plinking as much as the next guy but I refuse to be a party to all this nonsensical hoarding and paying artificially inflated prices. I have channeled my interests in a different direction, to whit cast bullets in CF .22's, and am having a blast, literally.
words of wisdom sir.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I made a purchase this week for my club in Canada. Fourteen cases. We have it, so it's hard to blame the ammo companies.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Ok this is turning a bit nasty now so I'll say this I hardly ever buy my rifle .22 ammo less than a case at a time (match stuff for me) but I do like picking up stuff like Blazer .22 for my plinking pistols but ain't seen none in a long time so I shoot other stuff but more $$. Since the big O's been in I have brought like 60,000 rounds . NOT SOLD ANY.I shot about 10,000 a year practice and matches combined . I do feel for the younger or any shooters that can't afford to buy 400-1200 bucks at a time for cases of ammo, so I don't care what age any guys that buy all they can find just to jack the price for profit I think they are pretty low form of life taking advantage of the problem, hope these type choke and die on such.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rick F,

Another excellent point.

Gnoahhh has the best handle on it: Don't worry about it, and don't give in to the scalpers.

But some people are apparently obsessed by the situation, including a lot of people who contact me. Which is why I'm writing an article about how to shoot cheaply in other ways, even though I have plenty of rimfire ammo. If more of us do that, then the problem will end quicker.

And the scalpers who are preventing kids from buying affordable .22 ammo, as most of us did when WE were kids, will choke on it.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone else having overpenetration problems with their Depends?

grin

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So far I haven't seen any HARD evidence of Obama or anybody else in the government interrupting the rimfire supply.

Oh I totally understand. Its no doubt a setup by hording old men, hell bent on making obama look bad. Damn older Americans interrupting rimfire supply. Can't blame Napolitano either, she was just shopping to save money. I hope obama will be able to get over it, and his feelings fully recover.

I am curious however; why pray tell is this the only president in American history, that's being targeted by old men?

Why is this the first 22 shortage in history? Did Bush have this problem? Did Reagan? I don't remember.

MOLON LABE

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Do you really suppose there'd be panic buying by shooters during ANY Republican presidential administration?

Remember the 1994 panic, after the assault-rifle ban was passed? Supposedly all new primers were going to go dud after 6 months. All of a sudden there was a primer shortage, just like there's a rimfire shortage now. But that primer shortage passed, and so did the next one in 2008, and so has the recent one.

Did you ever run into any of those dud primers during the past 20 years?

Shooters are more likely to panic over what MIGHT happen than what does. The present rimfire panic is a perfect example.

Think it through.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am curious however; why pray tell is this the only president in American history, that's being targeted by old men?

I dunno. I heard a young girl tell one of her friends that Barry had a cute ass. Jealousy?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Anyone else having overpenetration problems with their Depends?

grin

Yeah, but only on the nights I take Viagra.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Remember the 1994 panic, after the assault-rifle ban was passed?

I remember that. That was when "government" had the NRA audited as well. Pretty much the same as the prick we have now is doing to his political enemies.

Shooters are more likely to panic over what MIGHT happen than what does. The present rimfire panic is a perfect example.

Whatever you do, don't blame the "government" (AKA democrats). Blame those dumb azz shooters.

But that primer shortage passed, and so did the next one in 2008, and so has the recent one.

Did you conveniently forgot to mention they damn near bankrupted the firearms industry, before the sunshine came out?

You should write PC stories for a living. Have you applied with the New York Times? grin

Maybe Jim Zumbo knows where there are some openings.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Howinhell did a primer shortage almost bankrupt the industry?

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I should write a book detailing all of the 'panics' I have witnessed in my life. Conspiracies, government plots, and pigs that fly would round it out. I shall insist that the dust jacket be made of aluminum foil, to be recycled into hats to block alien mind melds. It would read as stranger than fiction.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gnoahhh has the best handle on it: Don't worry about it, and don't give in to the scalpers.

John, I have been using a meta search engine http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/ to find .22 ammo. I bought my 10/22 back in Jan and since then I have scored about 3,000 rounds using gunbot and being patient. When I see a good price I jump on it. The ammo is out there & it is just like you said "don't give in to the scalpers".

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
WyoJoe,

That's good to hear!

I don't need any .22 Long Rifle (had plenty when the panic started), but have been buying some .17 HMR, since I shoot more of that than .22 Long Rifle hollow-points anymore. Have found it in more than one local store priced at $11.99 or $12.99 per 50-round box, and all together have bought a couple bricks.

When the .17 Hummer appeared in 2002 ammo was right around $10 a box. I've checked a couple of inflation calculators, and according to both the price I've been paying is the 2014 equivalent of $10 in 2002! So the price hasn't gone up at all, despite some people paying .17 HMR prices for bulk-pack .22 Long Rifles.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pigs can fly. I've seen it happen. Without fail, HE is involved.

Best,

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
...Shooters are more likely to panic over what MIGHT happen than what does. The present rimfire panic is a perfect example.

Think it through.

I think more than real worry about what might happen, it provides them with an opportunity to experience orgasm while beating their chests (probably only with the one free hand) and proclaiming what superior beings they are for having the foresight to foresee the non-existent problem.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It's human nature to want what you can't have, I guess that applies to 22 RF in spades.
Look at the run on AR mags a year ago, now nobody gives them a second look, hint, hint.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by benchman

Instead of bitchin and whining and calling names I work hard at finding sources of Ammo and buying it at decent prices. There is plenty of 22LR ammo out there and at decent prices and some with free shipping or reduced cost shipping. Thinking you can buy ammo at yesterdays prices will get you no ammo. In the past couple of years component costs for brass, powder and labor have doubled or tripled and manufacturers pass the costs along. Yes there are those who will take advantage of the situation and charge and get scalper prices. Like the previous poster, bitching and complaining will get no sympathy.

OBTW call me whatever you will, but I have ammo and you don't.

Last edited by MissouriEd; 02/28/14.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Originally Posted by benchman

Instead of bitchin and whining and calling names I work hard at finding sources of Ammo and buying it at decent prices. There is plenty of 22LR ammo out there and at decent prices and some with free shipping or reduced cost shipping. Thinking you can buy ammo at yesterdays prices will get you no ammo. In the past couple of years component costs for brass, powder and labor have doubled or tripled and manufacturers pass the costs along. Yes there are those who will take advantage of the situation and charge and get scalper prices. Like the previous poster, bitching and complaining will get no sympathy.

Meaner grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I woulda throwed a coupla nyah nyahs in there, but that's just me?

grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It looks like to me a lot of people are forgetting what being a good sportsman is all about, its leaving something for someone else, just like that guy that caught the 50 pound lake trout in Canada, his limit one catch per day and that was his second catch for the day now he looses the fish and has a fine coming..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
just like that guy that caught the 50 pound lake trout in Canada, his limit one catch per day and that was his second catch for the day now he looses the fish and has a fine coming..

I throw back everything over 5 pounds. Too fatty. What did the guy in canada use for bait?

MOLON LABE

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by watch4bear
just like that guy that caught the 50 pound lake trout in Canada, his limit one catch per day and that was his second catch for the day now he looses the fish and has a fine coming..

I throw back everything over 5 pounds. Too fatty. What did the guy in canada use for bait?

10,000 rounds per day is my maximum purchase limit. I leave the rest to my wife to buy. See I left something for someone else and was a good sportsman.

Naha, Naha, naha.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
10,000 rounds per day is my maximum purchase limit.

If the price is right ED, you won't lose a dime. grin This time next year, a hundred a brick might be a good deal.

MOLON LABE

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

If the price is right ED, you won't lose a dime. grin This time next year, a hundred a brick might be a good deal.
bullshit my bet .22 ammo will be alot closer to normal prices every where that has jacked prices. Remember about a year or a bit more ago P-mags were going at $90-$100 a piece and now back to like $10-$15 lots dip [bleep] lost their ass and I have no sorrow for them.

Last edited by ldholton; 02/28/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
bullshit my bet .22 ammo will be alot closer to normal prices every where that has jacked prices.

I hope your right. I hope democrats are extinct then also. But just in case; I'll hang on to what I have, and buy all I can get for cheap. grin

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
bullshit my bet .22 ammo will be alot closer to normal prices every where that has jacked prices.

I hope your right. I hope democrats are extinct then also. But just in case; I'll hang on to what I have, and buy all I can get for cheap. grin

You buy democraps? shocked

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You buy democraps?

I use em to suck out my septic when its full. smile

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

MOLON LABE

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If there is an electoral landslide for the Rs this fall, you will be able to buy bricks for two buck at all senior citizen's centers. It's fun goin up but a bitsch comin down.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If there is an electoral landslide for the Rs this fall

God forbid it goes any other way.

MOLON LABE

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ldholton

bullshit my bet .22 ammo will be alot closer to normal prices every where that has jacked prices. Remember about a year or a bit more ago P-mags were going at $90-$100 a piece and now back to like $10-$15 lots dip [bleep] lost their ass and I have no sorrow for them.

Whatever you think normal is ain't anymore and never will be again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is normal?

This last month I bought around 1500+ rounds at $.05 per. Ain't hard to find if you look.

Stopped in one store in TN that was stocked to the gills on 22lr, powder, bullets, primers......'course the powder was all $30 or more a pound, primers were close to $50 a thou, and the 22's were priced hilarious at about $.15 to $.20 a round.
The girl at the counter said people got pissed when the owner jacked up the prices and it'd been real slow ever since.

Dont blame them. I didnt buy anything either.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

now your on to something !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever you think normal is ain't anymore and never will be again.

Unless gouged $18 to $25 per brick seems to be the norm nowadays

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Some of you are so pathetic! Just quit whining and buy ammo. I don't think some of you are happy unless you are crying.
I am an old SOB and have plenty ammo. When you grow up, I hope, in about 30years the light bulb will flash on.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stop whining about whiners, it's contagious. And possibly distorts the fabric of the space-time continuum. It may even be repetitive and redundant.

I buy nothing so y'all can buy more, thank me later.

There's going to be some hellacious estate and yard sale bargains on ammo and components startin' in about 5 years.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's going to be some hellacious estate and yard sale bargains on ammo and components startin' in about 5 years.

Ah yes, socialism can't be complete until only the government has guns.

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
yea, i don't buy .22 ammo either. my hoarding efforts goes to AR stuff and .223/5.56 ammo these days.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Ah yes, socialism can't be complete until only the government has guns.

What? I don't get it.

I am..........disturbed.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm 76, and fortunately I don't leak so depends are to be feared almost as much as no ammo. I think I have 12 .22s, long and short, so I need some ammo. The last time I bought .22s was about four years ago, I had bought a new Ruger single six SS convertible. I picked up a couple of brands in magnum and a few boxes of differing brands of LRHP to try to see what it liked best. I am not part of today's problem.

I came to realize what was happening around me during WWII. We lived on a farm and needed a little .22 ammo along. We survived with the aid of a single shot Winchester that dad had bought as a kid. The family house brand 12 ga self destructed early in the war. There were actual shortages of lots of stuff as all manufacturing was geared either to the war effort or to production of necessities. There were no new cars, trucks, or tractors. Tires, batteries, gasoline, sugar and lots of other stuff were rationed. You had to have a coupon to buy rationed goods and then only if you could find them. Speed limits were 45 to save fuel. Road trips were infrequent. If one had coupons saved up, there was no assurance that gas would be available.

I recall that on our infrequent trips into town, Mom always stopped at the hardware to see about ammo. Mostly there was none, but sometimes we could get five or ten rounds, usually shorts. The hardware guy NEVER price gouged us, but he did limit sales so he could allow all his customers to get a few, if he had them.

At the war's end, I recall when we could get a half box and finally boxes, then eventually bricks. Happy days were here again.

We have had three shortages since then. After the Clinton scare was over, I bought a case of 5000 Super-X and a case of Remington standard velocity .22 for target shooting. I still have the Super-X case intact and in reserve, but only a trickle of the target ammo. Both have been supplemented along as shooting stock. I do not consider my reserve stock as hoarding, since no one was deprived of buying whatever they wanted at the time I purchased mine. For the last thirty years, I have also purchased center fire ammo by the case as well. I am really low on my favorite loads of .308 and ..30-06, but I do have two cases of "get by" .30-06. I also reload. I use an target grade air gun for keeping sharp. I may get a high velocity air gun as well.

I reload several calibers. My powder and primer stocks need refreshing. I have a fair stock of large rifle primers but I'm getting low on other sizes for both rifle and pistol. I need to give that some attention, but I will not - at least yet - pay black market prices. I'm also low on most powders.

By being judicious, I likely have enough ammo on hand to last as long as I do. That would NOT include recreational shooting. There is no need for me to hoard. If s..t hits the fan and famine strikes, soon after the pharmacies close, I'm dead anyway. No need for me to sweat the small stuff. But my heirs can use the ammo. I already keep my "assault rifle" at the kid's ranch. They have become overrun by pigs, and S-I-L could find neither a semi auto or ..223 to work on the problem. "Hoarder dad" to the rescue. I'm really not a hoarder, but I was a Boy Scout.

I will add that a LGS owner that knows my buying habits offered me a pile of money for my ammo a year or so ago. I told him that I refused to become part of the problem, either as buyer or seller. That's all I got to say about that!

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Wish there were more of your kind around here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is , ME

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He has more company than one might imagine.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Spending their kids inheritance and probably drove 10mph below the speed limit in the passing lane with the turn signal on all the way to the store and then got a senior citizens discount to boot. Darned old codgers!!!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most seniors don't drive all that slow, they keep the pedal to the metal when behind the wheel . This is the only time they can still move fast

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Here in MO. one they reach the age of 65 they don't have to purchase hunting and fishing licenses. It's just not fair.

Last edited by teamprairiedog; 03/02/14.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Tried to add a smiley face icon but for some reason it didn't show.
I must be too old.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

smile

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
On spending the kid's inheritance. Our three daughters graduated college debt free. Old fashioned I'm sure, but Mom ( a bank employee ) and Dad ( a state trooper [with some rank ]) sucked it up, lived frugally, drove cars 140k, and did a little enterpraneuring on the side to pull this off. The girls were told that was their inheritance. Anything they get beyond that is gravy. The youngest, about to bump forty, recently told me that she had friends that were still paying off college loans. She took her loan money equivalent and bought investment property.

On slow driving, I would like to. I'm not in much of a hurry anymore. But I have found that if one drives slower than Texas' generous open road posted speed limits of 75, 80, (or 85 on the Texas autobahn), some whippersnapper texting instead of driving will ass end you. On the other hand, daughter swears that deer do not know the speed limits have changed.

Hunting/fishing license is not free in Texas, but it does come with a senior discount . About makes up for a bottle of cheap meds or a box of Depends.

Buying and selling ammo. Some of these old farts are crafty. We used to catch them buying and selling weed. I ask one little old blue hair winter Texan why? She said a hundred pounds bought in Mexico, would sell for enough in New England to live nicely the rest of the year. Not an isolated incident.

Nothing has changed. The Bible addresses young generations being more knowledgeable than their dumb a.. parents.

Just remember, skill and cunning will overcome ignorance and superstition every time.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
+1 Jack!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hey Butch, I have an extra brick of Rem standard velocity and another of Win T-22. We could go shoot up.

( I think the devil made me say that! )

Seriously, I hope you all find what you need. With O's EPA putting the screws to our last lead smelter, unless we cast (I don't) we are going to be shooting imported bullets or California bullets (lead free). Get used to it. If he can not legislate guns out, he will bare the ammo shelves with executive orders. After all, socialists know what is best for us!

Jack

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wasn't it Jonny Carson who caused a toilet paper shortage? Said there was a shortage on his monologue and everyone believed him and went out and bought up everything in the stores.

What's the difference then what we are going through now?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The big difference is that Johnny Carson is no longer with us. Instead we have the Internet, an even more effective way to start rumors.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
May I start an internet rumor that Mrs. B actually does most of the hunting/shooting articles and you're the one doin' the cook books? ;O)

All sides of the 22 ammo shortage haggle are interesting. Not much question at this point, that mfrs. are churning out plenty of ammo and that much of it is "disappearing" into the ether.

To emerge again someday, perhaps and one hopes as a disappointing $$ loss to those who had expected to reap great rewards with the commodity?

Last summer when ARs were supposedly in short supply and prices were still on the increase, I was heartened by the appearance of a stack of new ARs at an early Sept. gunshow. At a price ($950) far below that which was rapidly becoming the norm locally, for used stuff.

The dealer and I had a brief chat on the subject of how people trying to make a killing would react to the end to the shortage. He thought their time had passed and there would be lots of folks on the short end of that stick.

Such is life.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Instead we have the Internet, an even more effective way to start rumors.

This should help. Probably just a rumor you can wipe your azz with grin

http://www.conservativeinfidel.com/...an-22-caliber-rifles-leads-confiscation/

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wasn't it Jonny Carson who caused a toilet paper shortage? Said there was a shortage on his monologue and everyone believed him and went out and bought up everything in the stores.

What's the difference then what we are going through now?

The selfish bastards that fueled that shortage, the ones that are causing the one now, and the material involved in the first one are all the same thing.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We just made a trip from So. Idaho the length of Utah and into Nevada all the way to Las Vegas. Did not see one .22lr cartridge for sale in the entire 1,500 mile trip. I did see a group of old vulchers in Mesquite, NV at a Walmart waiting for the ammo to be brought out. Talked with the guy at Cabelas in Lehi and he said the same group of guys buys up what ammo they get when they open the doors each day. He said you can get it by going online and paying double or triple what they just bought it for..........

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It raises the same old question though. Exactly who is buying this gold plated ammo from the Walmart sharks?

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I guess the people hoarding TP would at least eventually use it. Not sure how the nonshooters buying at selling ammo are going to use anything they have left over.

I'm sure we will outlast this just fine. I would like to be able to order some mini-mags or velocitors right now, I just refuse to feed the frenzy.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gentlemen, no intention to start a rumor. I spent a lot of my previous life dealing with Feds from numerous agencies. Some were even good folks.

I will save myself some typing. Please Google " US lead smelters" and read it for yourselves.

BTW, I too believe the makers are cranking it out, but where is it? ATK stock has more than doubled in the last 12 mos.,

PS:

There are train loads of scrap available, but the mined product will deplete. I drove by a closed mine/smelter and saw what was becoming a ghost town summer before last. New stuff will be imported.

I would be pleased to be wrong, but I don't think so. I'm surprised some industry insiders haven't mentioned this before now. My shooting industry contacts have dried up since I retired.

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 03/03/14.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've talked to a few people in the bullet/ammo industry and none of them are worried, because Canada has lead mines and it doesn't look like we're going to war with them anytime soon.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They claim to have ammo - we don't - anyone up for an invasion?

On second thought, never mind. If they have ammo, might be willing to use it? ;O)

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I would be polite after all and apologize, but would put a cap in your ass if you look sideways at my rimfire stash!! wink

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
RickE, sir, if you are directing this to me, be assured that I covet nothing you have, including your ammo stash. If not, please just ignore.

I fail to understand why it POs folks when their information is incomplete and then lash out at someone who brings them up to date.

good night,

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 03/03/14.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Apparently a singular winky face wasn't enough. Although I don't think it was required.

There was nothing incomplete, there was no lashing out. DubePA made a joke about invading Canada to get our ammo. As the Canadian who earlier in the thread mentioned being able to source ammo I responded in kind. With a joke.

Last edited by RickF; 03/03/14.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
jt402 my screen doesn't show emoticans either ,not sure how to turn them on so sometimes I take people out of context also. Maybe someone will enlighten us how to get them to work. MM

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My apologies with NO snide conditions. Life is too short to use it up with ill feelings toward fellow man. (Glorious leader excepted.)

Have a good one. And no, I do not get the funny faces either. Notebook, yes-iPad, no.

Jack

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
As for the smelter/mine that was shut down a few months ago, NRA released a statement that basically said ammo companies did not get their lead from this mine, they use recycled lead so it will have no effect on the ammo companies.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
MD, a lead supply from international sources is available. China, Canada, some in South America, and other places is available. I'm sure the ammo makers have contingencies, but if the administration will not allow Canadian oil into the country, lead may get on the same list.

Remember the State of the Union promise O made to us. If legislation doesn't happen, executive order will. (Paraphrased and included a wide range of topics.) The Ukraine situation could modify his position on Canadian oil imports, maybe.

This is first primary Election Day in Texas. I fully intend to do my duty as a citizen in a few minutes.

Best wishes . I enjoy your works.

Jack

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Cabelas and Gander Mountain have ammo now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Winky face noted, no harm nor foul. ;O)

I've avoided going to Canada for years, lest the border authorities confuse my address with that of a neighbor who once got 'em riled up coming back.

Combo spring bear/fishing trip. The genius forgot one firearm in the vehicle, so they made him unload the trailered boat (square stern canoe) for inspection.

He was pizzed when he reloaded it, heaved my little 5 HP motor, taken along for spare power, right on top of a new telescoping landing net and some other fishing gear, crushing most of it.

Things went downhill from there, as he told them just what he thought of them, until his wife made him get in the truck and STHU.

Glad you have 22 ammo, figure some will show up here eventually?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
How did we ever communicate before emoticons?

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
you forgot the winky one.....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sign language, like ImI and mIm. Now it's OMG and FU and BFF and IMHO. Gives me a PIA.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Once you've had a winky one, you'll never forget it....

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jt402
My apologies with NO snide conditions. Life is too short to use it up with ill feelings toward fellow man. (Glorious leader excepted.)

Have a good one. And no, I do not get the funny faces either. Notebook, yes-iPad, no.

Jack

No worries Jack!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jt402
MD, a lead supply from international sources is available. China, Canada, some in South America, and other places is available. I'm sure the ammo makers have contingencies, but if the administration will not allow Canadian oil into the country, lead may get on the same list.

Remember the State of the Union promise O made to us. If legislation doesn't happen, executive order will. (Paraphrased and included a wide range of topics.) The Ukraine situation could modify his position on Canadian oil imports, maybe.

This is first primary Election Day in Texas. I fully intend to do my duty as a citizen in a few minutes.

Best wishes . I enjoy your works.

Jack

Sorry Jack but don't know what you're talking about regarding Canadian crude oil. Canuck crude is processed in MT petroleum refineries right now, and has been for decades. http://www.calumetspecialty.com/about-us/facilities/calumet-montana-refining Please note the source of their feedstock.

BTW, the refinery in Great Falls is now owned by a Canadian company and they recently announced a major expansion so they could process more Canadian crude oil.

Here's a link for more info on the expansion plans:
http://www.krtv.com/news/calumet-refinery-plans-to-triple-capacity-in-great-falls/

Here's a link about the shipment of the equipment for the expansion:
http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...62cff55-f123-5d33-8973-a1c1b977d0e1.html

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This ammo shortage sure changes the meaning of the 'haves and the have nots'....the attitude of the guys with 10k round in a cache is quite different that the guys that don't have enough to take the kids out shooting for a weekend. When stores like Scheel's and Cabela's divvy up ammo one 50 round box per customer still do not have any to sell, there is a problem.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How did we ever communicate before emoticons?

Street gestures! (Of course that was all face-to-face.) grin wink smile

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

This might sound like science fiction but there was a time when people actually interacted face to face with each other, sans computer or smart phone, and a good part of their meaning to their words was imparted by body language and/or facial expressions, as much as 80% according to the ex-spurts.
I guess the emoticons are an attempt to humanize our modern communications. smile

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
MT DD fan, I stand corrected. My reference was to the pipeline to Corpus Christi TX that is on long term hold, O doesn't much like us.

I mentioned early on that there were train loads of scrap.

And Pappy, I have fond memories of a winkey one. Talk about talent. I may have been to young to fully appreciate it.

Jack

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I never communicated very often as a teen or young adult, never had any money for the pay phone

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When people wrote letters (not the 26 building blocks of words but short to long communications on paper, generally handwritten in cursive and delivered by the Post Office in a paper envelope) they would usually add (just kidding!) or (ha ha) in parentheses to remarks that might be misconstrued.

Plus, by the time the recipient had read the entire letter and then taken the time to reply - also on paper - they often had a chance to think twice about what the original correspondent really meant.

Barbaric way of communicating if you ask me, and no one did. (ha ha)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Although I might add that since the disappearance of these "letters" the number of traffic accidents caused by people writing letters while driving has sharply decreased, so there is a silver lining to that cloud.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
huntsman,

Here's my previous post, edited:

"How did we ever communicate before emoticons?" (insert winky emoticon here, or whatever)

Dunno if this works, though!

Last edited by Mule Deer; 03/04/14.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In some forums, GFY now seems to be the current standard greeting for those enamored of each other. Probably better than Xs and Os?

Forget who started that, but Travis would likely claim it as his own?

wink eek whistle sick

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I will use GFY next time. We all seem to know what that means. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good For You? whistle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
God Forgives You - that's how I always take it.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That works too...did you find some 22 LR?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Got a Cheaper Than Dirt mag today. The have Bosnian Tulammo .22 lr 250 for $38. I don't need it that bad.

Charter Member

szihn

J
J
Urban legends.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jms920

Urban legends.

Regardless of their level of fame, I'm betting some of them live out in the country.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just gave away a case and a half of Depends yesterday.

I am..........disturbed.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
used?

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
reloads

Charter Member

szihn

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by tmitch
Got a Cheaper Than Dirt mag today. The have Bosnian Tulammo .22 lr 250 for $38. I don't need it that bad.

I don't even open them anymore. They go straight into the recycling. I'd email them and tell them to remove me from their mailing list, but I figure at the usurious prices they charge I can add their rag to the paper I donate to the local fund raisers.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dubePA
In some forums, GFY now seems to be the current standard greeting for those enamored of each other. Probably better than Xs and Os?

Forget who started that, but Travis would likely claim it as his own?

wink eek whistle sick

I tend to use ES&D for day to day use and GFY for good friends

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I made a Cabelas run Thursday and they had Blazer .22 ammo for $2.99 a box with a 2 box limit per person. My wife was with me so we got 4 boxes.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I made a Cabelas run Thursday and they had Blazer .22 ammo for $2.99 a box with a 2 box limit per person. My wife was with me so we got 4 boxes.

I went to Cabelas yesterday and picked up a brick of Blazer at $27.99. Too bad my wife wasn't with me.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
And I'll bet at over 3 bucks a gallon for gas they are spending mor than the are making. At the gunshows I personally haven't seen the mega priced 22 selling.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I lucked out and picked up 6 bricks of Federal 550 packs at Walmart yesterday.

And, there were no retired fellas anywhere to be found!!!!

Kevlars

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
HOARDER! Common-sense people have no legitimate need for that much ammo!!!!! laugh laugh laugh

LOL
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Fireball2
HOARDER! Common-sense people have no legitimate need for that much ammo!!!!! laugh laugh laugh

Who said I had any common sense!

Kevlars

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
do you mention the birddog65 in your article ?? I've been shooting pellets and posting stuff on the campfire for years now.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by toad
used?

\.|.. :-)-|-<

I am..........disturbed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I cant wait for all the old hoarders to kick over and buy all that ammo at half price at the flea markets and garage sales.!!

If you really like something,you better buy two!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by birddog65
I cant wait for all the old hoarders to kick over and buy all that ammo at half price at the flea markets and garage sales.!!

Nope I am shootin mine at young punks wantin ammo laugh

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Why are people who are old enough to have seen shortages before ,due to politics considered hoarders in the first place?It's the the guys and gals under 50 who have been ill prepared and are doing the scalping right now . Every fokking scalper I've seen has been a 30 or 40 something. Magnum Man

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Why are people who are old enough to have seen shortages before ,due to politics considered hoarders in the first place?It's the the guys and gals under 50 who have been ill prepared and are doing the scalping right now . Every fokking scalper I've seen has been a 30 or 40 something. Magnum Man

Some of us accumulating ammo and Depends are old enough to remember the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the Depends shortage of 2014.

And the vast majority of us have grand kids we have brought up right that will be more than happy to leave piles of empty brass at nearly empty ranges once we have passed.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been building my horde of .22 ammo over the last 25 years, slowly but surely, so that I can now hoard it.

I don't really shoot it, just empty the tens of thousands of rounds I have out on the bed and roll naked in them while laughing villainously at the thought of those who have none. If I still had a mustache I'd twirl it.

Bwaa-haaaa-haaaaa!!!!

BTW, I do have some loose rounds I may sell for ridiculous prices. They could have a few small curly hairs mixed in with them or an odd smell, but they should shoot okay...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I've been building my horde of .22 ammo over the last 25 years, slowly but surely, so that I can now hoard it.

I don't really shoot it, just empty the tens of thousands of rounds I have out on the bed and roll naked in them while laughing villainously at the thought of those who have none. If I still had a mustache I'd twirl it.

Bwaa-haaaa-haaaaa!!!!

BTW, I do have some loose rounds I may sell for ridiculous prices. They could have a few small curly hairs mixed in with them or an odd smell, but they should shoot okay...

Plus 1 Jim!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bwaa-haaaa-haaaaa!!!!

Any pics?

Of the rounds, you sick bastard!

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Bwaa-haaaa-haaaaa!!!!

Tff

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
eek sick

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a senior and I have not been hording 22LR ammo. I bought my last brick just after Sandy Hook and cannot find any available 22LR in any of the stores in south east Michigan. Come on, it has been over 15 months since that mentally twisted kid Adam Lanzer killed all those kids. Were did the ammo go? I have checked every store within 20 miles and nothing!!! That is wrong, this country is being run by the media and a bunch of liberals, who make owning a gun a bad thing. How about putting the blame where it should be on this kids parents and his doctor/shrink who dropped the ball and let this nut job go under the radar and shoot all those kids. Somehow, the liberal media and liberal politicans have convinced a country that guns are bad and to blame, when it really was the parents and the medical profesion dropped the ball big time on this bastard. And in my heart of hearts I know that the government in some way is involved in the shortage of available 22 LR ammo. My 2 cents.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Laffin' laugh

My name is Dan and I just quit hoarding. The cessation of hoarding behavior is quite easy. I've done it thousands of times.

Supplies of .22 RF ammo will soon soar, stand ready men!

I am..........disturbed.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Just hang on to the grab rail while you shoot pellets into your Depends, and everything will work itself out. ;-)

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Just hang on to the grab rail while you shoot pellets into your Depends, and everything will work itself out. ;-)

One of these days you will wake up to the fact that you need to buy when you see a deal and put it on the shelf for the future.
But some don't do anything but cry!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 56 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,911
Posts18,518,659
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.