Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
What?? I have to wash raingear?? It gets washed every time I use it in the rain!!

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by brymoore
I've looked at Frog Togs but the reviews I've read always say they're way too fragile. They tear easily in brush. They almost look like they're made of paper fiber.

I've used a set for 7 years in Idaho without any issues.
Where in Idaho? Here in so. central ID, I can sometimes go 7 years without every putting raingear on during the season.

Idaho City area and beyond. They've been on two extended sheep hunts plus many other backpack trips. I pack the coat everywhere in the fall as an extra wind layer. The pants come along if weather is predicted.

They're made of Tyvek. They're not the best rain gear but I haven't had a reason to replace them. I wouldn't take them on an Alaskan hunt but they'll do for Idaho.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Depends on how you define "elk season.". In mid-September in CO, rain is not rare.

True. I hunt 3rd rifle which is basically the first week of November, sometimes with the last day or two of October. Unlike snow, rain has never been a real problem and I've been doing it since 1982.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've looked at Frog Togs but the reviews I've read always say they're way too fragile. They tear easily in brush. They almost look like they're made of paper fiber.

I've used a set for 7 years in Idaho without any issues.
Where in Idaho? Here in so. central ID, I can sometimes go 7 years without every putting raingear on during the season.

Idaho City area and beyond. They've been on two extended sheep hunts plus many other backpack trips. I pack the coat everywhere in the fall as an extra wind layer. The pants come along if weather is predicted.

They're made of Tyvek. They're not the best rain gear but I haven't had a reason to replace them. I wouldn't take them on an Alaskan hunt but they'll do for Idaho.
I have a Red Ledge suit from Sportsmans Whs. They're ok for Idaho, but like yours, I wouldn't even consider them for a wet climate. But, they're light and I never leave camp without the jacket. It has to get really wet before I use the pants over my wool pants.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Maybe not the best, nor cheapest, but I've been pretty pleased with Red Ledge. The jackets or pants each sell for $40-$50 for each piece and they pack small and light. They have always kept me dry and break the wind well.

http://www.redledge.com/#!mens-hardshells/c1nva

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

while I'm not certain, I suspect Frogg Toggs are made of Tyvek material (used as a cheap vapor barrier on housing construction).

yes, they tear easy, but they are crazy light, and fairly cheap. I need to replace my upper half due to damage last year, in fact.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If Frog Toggs actually are Tyvek, you can get tape made especially to put tyvek sheets together without sewing. It would make a great repair kit. Check here, scroll down to last product on page, called Mylar Tape.
http://www.questoutfitters.com/coated.html#SILNYLON%201.1%20OZ%20RIPSTOP

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
Recently I wore a set of Frogg Toggs on an Alaskan salmon fishing trip where it rained nearly all day each of the four days I fished and I never got wet. They are indeed light and therefor might not be all that satisfactory for hunting, but I'm going to use them this fall anyway.

R
R
Have you considered the Core4 Torrent gear from Camofire? My brother wears a set of that stuff and has been super happy with it. That being said, an average rainstorm where we live lasts about 20 minutes, so it's not like we have tested it in Kodiak.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Frogg Toggs are lightweight, breathable and pretty waterproof. Not a bad fishing jacket or for casual wear. They do not pack well, and do tear quite easily.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 48 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,294
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.