Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
...bowhunters more than most, you guys are boring. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep. I love bowhunting, but I usually go to Archery Talk or TradGang for that kind of stuff. The Fire is for my 'gun' fix.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, Archerytalk or crossbow nation for bowhunting (or to buy last year's bow at a good discount), and the 'Fire for rifles...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unlike many of the other forums on this site and others, this archery forum is always civil and respectful. An anomaly on the internet.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Too many douchenozzles on AT.

I go to Bowsite and the Leatherwall.

IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boring is sniping critters at 600 yards. Placing an arrow into the vitals at <20 yards is where it is at.
cool

Having snot blowing, urine soaked, red eye enraged bull at three yards, black bear right on the other side of an impromptu ground blind, testosterone controlled mature whitetails at 15 yards, watching a wood arrow out of my longbow disappear into the ribs of Shiras moose in a raging mountain thunderstorm.

With all due respect: Boring....I think not.

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by CRS
Boring is sniping critters at 600 yards. Placing an arrow into the vitals at <20 yards is where it is at.
cool

Having snot blowing, urine soaked, red eye enraged bull at three yards, black bear right on the other side of an impromptu ground blind, testosterone controlled mature whitetails at 15 yards, watching a wood arrow out of my longbow disappear into the ribs of Shiras moose in a raging mountain thunderstorm.

No way to argue that....I spend as much time with archery as rifle. I try and set up my rifle shots as if I were bow hunting. It does help.... cool

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Too many douchenozzles on AT.

Agreed. Quit going there long ago..

All the "fudd" hating lardasses over there are a joke.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a lot of BS on AT. But there are also some very knowledgeable folks there. If not for AT, i never would have met the guy that builds all my strings. My supplier for my loop matl and serving thread, and my new supplier for speed sleeves. Just like a lot of the gun stuff here, got to wade thru the garbage sometimes. But yeah, the archery crowd here is a pretty civilized group. Very respectful for the most part, too. And I like that.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CRS
cool

I agree with that 100%. I gun hunt, but bowhunting is my passion. I was referring to this particular subforum as being boring. Maybe I misunderstood the OP's intent.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Unlike many of the other forums on this site and others, this archery forum is always civil and respectful. An anomaly on the internet.

This is true, just not a lot of action here. I usually get something out of your posts though.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, this subforum does not get a lot of traffic, and is always respectful.

My post was leaning towards the BTDT aspect of bowhunting. Bowhunting is something that requires active participation.

Very difficult to armchair quarterback this activity.

Since I am a died in the wool traditional bowhunter, I stay away from the modern archery threads. Simply because I do not have the experience or knowledge.

I go to Tradgang for my traditional archery fix, or to ask questions, post about hunts, etc.

I have been spending an awful lot of time down at the local archery shop that just opened. I have been plying my craft there so to speak. Mentoring some 4H traditional shooters, playing with new bows, having fun with other bowhunters. Building strings, and just helping those that have traditional questions.

I spent yesterday afternoon re-introducing a nice young lady back into traditional archery. A very nice way to spend a -5 degree day.

My sig line is latin.
Arcus= bow
Venator= huntsman

My picture of the bear tracks is the reminder of the tracks I found on sandbar while floating an Alaska river for three weeks back in the early 2000's. A memory that will never leave me.

Last edited by CRS; 03/02/14.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
AT is definitely full of the uber opinionated upper midwest guys who's sum total of firearms are slug guns and muzzle loaders. They definitely know archery though and if you are willing to wade through the mountains of foolishness, you can find great info.

And 24HourCampfire is pretty much the exact same. I've never seen so many strong opinions and absolute statements made about completely subjective things.

Well, except on AT.

And the internet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is why I don't mention the Fire when I am on AT, keep the know it all's over there. You may not see a lot of archery chat over here but you get solid non smarta** responses.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
There's only so many ways you can say 'just use a slick trick' before it gets boring...

Seriously though... I've found when hunters actually give advice here on how to 'hunt' a specific animal, it gets poo poo aside over equipment choices/technology... which is boring, and why few hunters post here.

Kent

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by krp
There's only so many ways you can say 'just use a slick trick' before it gets boring...

Kent

Excellent.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think any site is immune to BS, just take a look at the general forum on here. For the most part this one is pretty good - why I keep coming back. I do like AT - at least the Trad forum and classifieds.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CRS
cool

I"ll differ with you all day long, because I'm a bowhunter and a champion highpower shooter especially on the 600 yard line.

I could stuff and arrow into the vitals, and did, on the very first shot I ever took at a deer wiht a bow. And continued to do so for over 100 animals, with very few misses, and even with traditional gear.

It took me years to learn to be able to consistently place the rounds in a snug group centered up at 600 yards.. Much more work and effort.

As to challenge, neither was hard once both were mastered.

And as a former archery snob I"m ashamed I used to have the same mentality.

There are lots of ways to harvest, and each can be rewarding and difficult in its own ways. Such is the reason we tend to go different routes at times.

For me, I know that bow got to be time consuming to keep the skill up and almost routinely boring. Get within range and it was like a 100 yard rifle shot.. chip shot no big deal.

And yep, I"ve shot game at 3 steps. Not sure if that counts as 3 yards... but close enough. Have seen most all game up close and adrenalin flowing.

My take is choose what you want today, and as long as its legal, knock yourself out and enjoy. Don't toss stones at others, as tommorrow you may decide to try a different path.

And I"m not taking this as a dig at any poster, just comments, everything we do can be boring or not.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With all due respect, and I really mean that! This is not going to head down a bad path.

Let's assume for sake of argument the 600 yard rifle shot and the 20 yard archery shot take the same effort to master as you say that's only about 10% of the struggle and challenge.

It's a whole lot harder getting 20 yards from the multiple species of big game undetected and be able to draw a bow to make that shot, then squeezing the trigger on a high powered well made scoped hunting rifle at the 600 yards you used as an example.

Closing the distance is the challenge with archery not the shot

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I really respect the guys that can poke critters at long range...I probably couldn't hit a black angus bull at 600 yds. Besides calling up a big tom in my lap, one of the greatest pleasures I get from hunting is sitting in my bow stand and having deer walk within range undetected. I know it's weird, but outsmarting whitetails, one of north Americas wariest animals, is very fulfilling.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by centershot
I don't think any site is immune to BS, just take a look at the general forum on here. For the most part this one is pretty good - why I keep coming back. I do like AT - at least the Trad forum and classifieds.
same here I visit A/T traditional and classifieds... the Viper guy seems to know his stuff!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of merchandise info on AT, but the hunting show groupies are very hard for me to stomach.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't forget the scent-loc, scent control, scent remover fan boys..

The argument about spot and stalk is valid, but the fact remains that 95% and maybe more of the hunters on AT somehow think that sitting in a stand (that they drove up to) and drilling a deer in a food plot at 20 yards is harder and superior to hiking in and up three miles to spot and stalk with a rifle.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I love both archery and rifle hunting. If I had to make a choice, it would be gun, as I love guns, not bows so much. If there is a tendency to be snobbish, it is more likely the bow hunter. At least here in Montana, they try to separate the bow hunting from rifle hunting and would probably prefer one or the other, not both.

I continue to bow hunt for the ability to get out longer during the season and I can enjoy it with only 1 bow. Rifle season does get confusing as it is hard to decide what gun to use one which animal...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'm not planning to give either. nothing like walking up on a big whitetail or bear that you just shot an arrow thru.i've takin both with a rifle at some fairly long distances and i really enjoy that to. you'd be surprised at the rifle hunters that can't hit a animal 300yds. if they don't varmit hunt and hunt only in the woods they never feel the need to practice long shots.me,i just like to hunt. time spent in the stand is great.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like both - pisses me off when the two groups try to separate and have 'bow only' or 'rifle only' choose your weapon type of stances. We all need to stick together as 'hunters' or none of us will have anything to do. I shoot bows all year around, indoors, outdoors, 3d, hunting, stumping - whatever. I also shoot air rifles, rimfires (if I could find ammo again) and some centerfires. When I can draw a good tag then the rifle goes, if not then bowhunting in good areas is what I do. They are both just tools of the trade.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Closing the distance is the challenge with archery not the shot.

Yes and no. The shot at 20 with a bow will always be more difficult than a long rifle shot simply because you have to draw the bow back in close proximity to highly wired game...without being seen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep!

"It's a whole lot harder getting 20 yards from the multiple species of big game undetected and be able to draw a bow to make that shot,"

The good news is that we are making Pat happy with a lively conversation now!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Let me take it up a notch,..this ain't elk hunting, it's an execution. Lol. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes it is ok for the animals to win - If you can only get to 1/2 mile, maybe you should work on some hunting skills. I would be embarrassed if the above video was of me.

Last edited by centershot; 03/04/14.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dtspoke
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Excellent.

You mean a: "sharp broad head in the right spot"

Arcus Venator
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 49 invisible), 1,904 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,281
Posts18,525,586
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.