Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bump -

Just to see if ayone else has results from this season.

Going to get into this !!

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We normally can quite a bit and was wondering if anyone has used a turkey cooker to put their canner on?

I am thinking we could get the heat to rise faster instead of on the stove.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I use an Eastman Outdoors cooker to do my canning on...it is on the verge of too powerful. Once you get the pot to boiling, and venting off the stream, I find it hard to get low enough to keep the temps at 240, lots of times it will get a little higher. I haven't had any problems, just a little mor babysitting, or at least a little better attention paid to it.

Wonderful stuff...canned venison.

Larry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MissTreated
Red Salmon....

[Linked Image]

Tell me about this fish canning....and how different is this to pickling?

How do you serve the salmon?

All American

All the time
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a friend that makes patties out of Salmon and also put them on pizza with white sauce.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stan V

Pickling is basically raw fish in a brine. It's delicious, I'm sure you've tried pickled herring? I've pickled salmon and it too, is wonderful. You can't leave it too long, it will tend to get mushy.

What to do with canned salmon.... Hmmm.... think about canned tuna. What do you do with that? You can do the same thing with salmon. Salmon Patties, salmon salad, salmon dips, Alfredo sauce with salmon, salmon casseroles, and more. You'll find things you like better than others, and soon you'll have a list of "go tos" for your salmon. Mine is Alfredo sauce, salmon salad (like a tuna salad with mayo and what ever) and salmon patties. I LOVE salmon patties! Especially with a good dipping sauce....

[Linked Image]

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fantastic, thank you!

All American

All the time
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I used a turkey fryer this year for 43 quarts. First batch was rough. Tried to heat it to fast and couldnt get a steady stream of steam. Figured I boiled the water before I got meat sauce good and hot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Are you saying you water-bathed your 43 quarts? If so that was a waste of effort...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A buddy at work canned some pork loin. Said he put in dry rub BBQ seasoning and 1-2 drops of liquid smoke. He put in a crockpot at work. Dang good pulled pork samiches!!!!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Are you saying you water-bathed your 43 quarts? If so that was a waste of effort...

No, pressure canned.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In a turkey cooker?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i set up 2 burners for fish cookers outside. that way i can get 2 pressure cookers going and each holds 7 qts. in about 5 hours i can 28 qts. and clean up the gear.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RandyR
We normally can quite a bit and was wondering if anyone has used a turkey cooker to put their canner on?

I am thinking we could get the heat to rise faster instead of on the stove.

I do Must faster

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm talking about using the burner guys, not the fryer pot. I put a 14 qt pressure canner on the gas burner for the turkey fryer. I ran the heat too high too fast and blew all the water out before the canned meat got hot. So I never got a good stream of steam....it was sputtering for an hour.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stan V
Originally Posted by MissTreated
Red Salmon....

[Linked Image]

Canning and pickling are two different things.

I do my pickling by starting off with salted salmon which is stored in 5 gal buckets and made by alternate layers of rock salt and red salmon fillets. They are soaked out to taste, the skin is peeled off and the fillets are cut into small bite-sized chunks. I mix up a 50/50 or stronger water-vinegar mix, sugar to taste, add pickling spice and fresh cut onion. Add fish and refrigerate for three days or so before eating.

The pickled fish can be jarred by using the hot water bath method.

For canned salmon, I skin the fillets, cut into manageable pieces stuff into a mason jar with a commercial canning salt tablet or 1/2 tsp of canning/pickling salt, and pressure cook for 90 minutes at 10psi or better.

Makes for good salmon patties and salmon salad for sammiches.

I also can kippered salmon. They are brined in a secret family recipe known to all for 24hrs, they are then hung in the smokehouse for 3-5 days (depending on weather) to partially dry (firm up). They are cold smoked intermittently primarily with apple wood and a handful of alder chips during this period. When they are ready they are cut up, stuffed into jars and also pressure cooked for 90 mins @ 10+ PSI.

The kipper can be eaten as is, or mixed with cream cheese and used as a dip.

I have some moose roasts from this past fall I think I'll thaw out and jar come to think of it. He was a tough bastid anyway. Even the burger is a little tough.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBear
I'm talking about using the burner guys, not the fryer pot. I put a 14 qt pressure canner on the gas burner for the turkey fryer. I ran the heat too high too fast and blew all the water out before the canned meat got hot. So I never got a good stream of steam....it was sputtering for an hour.

Use a diffuser over the burner wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 30338
Canned some new stuff back at New Years. Went with venison meatballs in tomato sauce, venison meatballs in cream of mushroom soup mix, and your basic chunked venison with no sauce. Turned out very good. Will keep tweaking the meatball recipe itself but test jars were deemed winners by the family.

Canned 8 quarts of pork loins also. Good stuff.

mind sharing the meatball recipe-mine never comes out as good as i'd like and that would be a great item to can for my family.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Its tender enough to make a great sandwich spread out of canned venison. Add any combo of salad dressing, mustard, horseradish sauce, diced pickles, onions, etc until you get it the way you like it!

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
There's nothing I love more than a canned deer meat sandwich (with homemade pickles) while on a deer hunt...my mouth waters thinking about it.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,465
Posts18,489,854
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.