Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8667200 03/10/14
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been shooting a recurve for the past 4 months and I "think" I would like to try a long bow..anybody shooting one ?

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I shoot a Widow PLX. I like the heavy RD longbows. They are the best of both worlds. Can't stand Hill style bows. I don't like for every shot to feel like I caught a line drive baseball without a glove.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was looking at a used Fox Royal, it looks to be a cross between a long bow and a recurve.. the guy wants a lot sheckels for it so I'm sorta taking my time and researching the subject BUT it shoots GOOD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a Toelke and it is very nice. Be worth a look.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My thoughts almost exactly mirror those of Mr Clark. I've been shooting shrews quite a bit and have my last one for sale. Back to recurves for me but longbows certainly do have an appeal

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Many longbows here.
All varying degrees of R/D except for my selfbows. I have heat treated some reflex in the selfbow limbs but not to the degree of my glass bows.

I like quiet shooting bows and longbows provide that. Recurves can too but it usually takes more tweaking.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have had thoughts about getting a Bear Montana for a long time now. its an affordable option, especially for what you get. seems to fall a little short performance-wise, compared to other r/d designs. but, it has more of a traditional profile

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Longbows are cool. I shoot a Robertson.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have two, a Seven Lakes Longbow and a Jerry Hill.

The Hill does have more hand-shock, but it is not as bad as the Howard Hill I shot. The Jerry Hill likes feather fletched cedar arrows best

The Seven Lakes Longbow I have is a sweetheart. No hand-shock, quick, and light as it should be. 48#@28" and I draw 29", so it's right at 50# draw weight. It likes feather fletched cedars, aluminum, or carbon arrows.

I also have several recurves, but no "training wheel" bows. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
I was looking at a used Fox Royal, it looks to be a cross between a long bow and a recurve.. the guy wants a lot sheckels for it so I'm sorta taking my time and researching the subject BUT it shoots GOOD

That's a quality bow but there's no magic in any of them. One of the best ways to buy one this time of year is to go to a big 3D where there are a lot of vendors. Several vendors deal in used bows and you should be able to try out a lot of different ones. Trad gang has an area where events are listed and you should be able to find one fairly close to you as well as ask about the attendance and number of vendors.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a pile of quite a variety of longbows - they're addictive! They are more difficult to master than a recurve so be sure and start with a draw weight you can handle easily. I had to drop to 45# to get started (after struggling with 60#). Today I shoot best in the 50-55# range and struggle with much over 55#.

I started bowhunting right out of high school in '79 - mostly recurves then, but eventually got the bug to try a longbow. Once I did, that is mostly all I've shot since. Then I got the bug to start making my own and carved a few selfbows, which eventually pushed me to try building laminated longbows. I built and shot fairly traditional style longbows for a number of years but never felt I shot them as well as a recurve. I finally admitted that to myself a few years back which got me interested in the hybrid longbows with more of a "recurve style" grip. I had to see if I could come up with something along those lines, so after several iterations, this is what I'm currently shooting (along with several friends that I've built these for):

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JGray
I have a pile of quite a variety of longbows - they're addictive! They are more difficult to master than a recurve so be sure and start with a draw weight you can handle easily. I had to drop to 45# to get started (after struggling with 60#). Today I shoot best in the 50-55# range and struggle with much over 55#.

I started bowhunting right out of high school in '79 - mostly recurves then, but eventually got the bug to try a longbow. Once I did, that is mostly all I've shot since. Then I got the bug to start making my own and carved a few selfbows, which eventually pushed me to try building laminated longbows. I built and shot fairly traditional style longbows for a number of years but never felt I shot them as well as a recurve. I finally admitted that to myself a few years back which got me interested in the hybrid longbows with more of a "recurve style" grip. I had to see if I could come up with something along those lines, so after several iterations, this is what I'm currently shooting (along with several friends that I've built these for):

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good looking bow and a style I would recommend to anyone wanting to transition to a longbow. Actually many people call them hybrids. Lots of RD makes them sweet and fast shooters. The string off the tips makes them quieter than a recurve and they have a good repeatable grip. I would call that a very good design.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks R H - I put a lot of time and thought into it trying to optimize all the features I like in a recurve and keep it trim at the same time. I do use quite a bit of reflex and just enough deflex to keep it well mannered.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JGray
Thanks R H - I put a lot of time and thought into it trying to optimize all the features I like in a recurve and keep it trim at the same time. I do use quite a bit of reflex and just enough deflex to keep it well mannered.

Very nice bow! What string do you use?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I used to make my own with B50 Dacron prior to all the low stretch materials that are now available. Lately I've been buying them from Centaur Archery.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I used to shoot a compound until I went in to have it restrung and the guy wanted $180 to do it. I said the hell with it and bought an Abbott longbow off of the classifieds here. I have had that bow for three years now and I love it. I killed my first archery deer with it this past Halloween. Mine is 48 lbs at 28" and shoots very smooth and quiet. I have been eye-balling another Abbott, one about 55 lbs, but Steve Abbott just passed away a few weeks ago. I really don't think I could be more satisfied with the bow I have now, so I will just have to take really good care of it.

Here is his website. I believe his lifelong friend Chris is still making Abbott bows.

http://www.abbottlongbows.com/

If you do find yourself a nice longbow, you will not regret it. They are a hoot.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am really sold on Sarrels longbows. They are to me really easy to shoot.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Hi

About Howard Hill bows, I shoot frecuently a Wesley Special 50 lbs HH long bow. And I don�t feel any unmanageable hand shock or anything like that...I love this bow (not mine...yet). I think I must try a Reflex-Deflex long bow to compare...
Have anyone here tried a HH Wesley Special bow?

Thank you!

PH

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If some one is in the market for a great longbow here you go
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181363692698

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That link doesn't work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 1,929 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,257
Posts18,525,226
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.