Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Saw on Fox News that 6 states have already raised gas taxes and 4 more states are considering it to pay for all of the crumbling roads we have. Has anyone ever thought about what causes the roads to crumble in the first place? Are the lowest bidders for road construction using the cheapest materials as well or is that just the fate of asphalt in a couple years when salt is used during the winter?

Seems like a scam for perpetual road work when the pavers know they have to come back and resurface the same road they put in a couple years earlier. If we can send people to the moon and back in 1969, it seems we ought to be able to build a damn road in 2014 that last more than a couple of winters.

Last edited by tpcollins; 03/11/14.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Concrete would cost more initially, but much less maintenance overall.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
They would last longer if they'd quit using that damned salt on 'em..

But they always want to raise taxes for roads (or education)... it's an 'investment', doncha know.. frown

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Or we could stop paying union wages to build roads and increase number of projects using the same amount of money we are currently generating... whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure what the roads are like down your way, tp, but it's going to take more than a gas tax increase to fix chit up here. eek

Of course, like you put it, building them right the first time would help them last longer.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
we could stop paying union wages to build roads

Why not let cheap mesican labor, and mesican companies build em, and take Americans out of the loop all together?

MOLON LABE

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Why not let cheap mesican labor, and mesican companies build em, and take Americans out of the loop all together?

You ever take a glance at the side of the road on a construction project? Americans are already out of the loop.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
As .gov continues to steal from the people, this whole gov is based on nothing but pure theft.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh I see, non Americans are getting union wages. grin

MOLON LABE

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The problem is vehicles getting much better fuel mileage, and folks driving less. Back in the 1970's states brought in more in fuel taxes, even though gas was much cheaper. Selling less gas means less tax money. Many roads around here are being let go longer and are in rough shape

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I thought you were from VT smile Wondering at what point someone is going to use force and ask WTF are you doing? You spend billions to save gas. You spend billions on healthcare for people who dont work. You spend billions on global warming. You spend billions overseas on NOTHING.

Now you want more money to pay for the loss to road funds in the wake of billions spent to save the gas that tax was funding. WTF people........Local Gov had their hand out when big brother was giving to dump gas guzzlers and promote global warming. Now your not getting the tax from the stuff you PAID to have removed from the system so you want to tax MORE to the ones who didn't buy in to your crap!!! For the love of god, you gotta' stop....

Rant over

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Originally Posted by watch4bear

You ever take a glance at the side of the road on a construction project? Americans are already out of the loop.

FACT! I saw evidence of this as recently as yesterday afternoon.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JMR40
The problem is vehicles getting much better fuel mileage, and folks driving less. Back in the 1970's states brought in more in fuel taxes, even though gas was much cheaper. Selling less gas means less tax money. Many roads around here are being let go longer and are in rough shape

That's my take on it as well,
Save the planet by driving less and getting rid of gas hogs and the attached revenue stream dries up.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
heavywalker,
You are a clueless motormouth who doesn't have a clue as to what your talking about. I worked for a Asphalt co. (paving roads) for 25 yrs. I was also in a union. Our co. owners bid the work as if to pay us the bacon davis wage, then would not pay it to us because of loopholes, putting the extra (government) money in their pockets. Typical republican business, [bleep] my workers I want ALL the money. So don't blame the union workers trying to make a living for stealing you tax money. As far as asphalt roads holding up? They are not going to, because they are not designed to. It's like a open checkbook from the gvmt. that never ends. Pave, repair, pave repair, pave, etc. etc,. Its just how corrupt things are now. Buy the way I'm not a demacrat either so don't even start that chit.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Maintaining roads is one the few things a govt. is supposed to do. .....I think.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You worked for a company for 25 years that would win a .gov contract, then not pay you the high wage and instead pocket the additional profits and I am the clueless one?

Regardless, the high wages were still being paid to someone, thus reducing the value of the tax dollars that are collected. Thank you for proving my point.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
There's plenty of money to build and maintain roads. There's plenty of money for national parks. There's plenty of money to fund the military, and there's plenty of money to adequately fund NASA and all the other scientific research that only an entity as large as the U.S. Government can accomplish.

What there's not plenty of money for is all the above PLUS support 1/3 of the population of the country that lives off of government handouts and government funded health care. If you ever wondered why government used to accomplish so much more when taxes were much lower than now then look at where the money is going. Social programs eat up a huge majority of the budget, both state and federal. Back when we were putting men on the moon and building interstates we had the money to do it not because taxes were high, but rather because we were putting money towards things that are legitimate government functions instead of pouring it down the giant sinkhole that is the welfare state in some giant vote buying scheme.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just curious, do state and federal hwy projects pay differently?

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hmm more funds to misappropriate and still have sheet roads? Perfect.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fuggit I say rototill all the fuggin roads up and turn them into gravel...........

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (007FJ, 204guy, 222Sako, 160user, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,527
Posts18,491,115
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.