-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn near mentioned same............................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I use a couple of Doziers a Straight personal and a modified personal but, like Stick many of the patterns don't appeal to me. Most of the Drop points are more of a spear point and many are too big for my tastes. But they are good knives and if you find a pattern you like, you're sure to be a fan!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MOGC seemed to wanna get goin',so I tried to accomodate.

Not really. Here's my take on it. A fellow comes here and is proud of his two new custom knives he just ordered and you somehow feel entitled to relegate them to the mundane and classless pizza and cheese duty. I don't see how that was justified. I asked out of curiousity which models you had used and intended the discussion to go in a comparison of models, the purposes, blade shapes, and what might better suit you. That sort of thing. You quickly changed that.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's hardly the case................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been editing my first post, I decided not to be lead in that direction. Evidently, I wasn't quick enough, you posted as I was editing. Am I missing your point? It seemed clear enough.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wasn't leading and feel I accurately portrayed my point...............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Clearly you're right about one thing:

Profiles is subjective..........

Back to knives, other than the Gentleman's Knife have you looked at the Bird/Trout, Sweetwater, Canoe, K1 General Utility? Those are all small utility blades. Dozier also works in other steels such as S30V, though few find fault with his D2 blades.

Last edited by MOGC; 05/25/06.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've handled several Dozier patterns and have gawked at all of 'em on Bob's site.

I come away thinking of them,as I do Randall's Hunters. They are nice,well done and constructed of very good materials,but the designs largely aren't very practical.

I've no D2 complaints,but I do think S30V is a superior material.

As to the "Ingram board" Thing,I'm not sure about that. He's well received and offers a pretty good diversity of wares,as well as being willing to craft from the hip,for the gent of that mindset.

For my taste in blades,Gene smokes Bob by a landslide,for a practical versatility in "using" profiles,geared to dead critters and such.

Unzipping a Deer,isn't how I'd quantify the effectiveness of a given blade profile's,relative utility.

I drive a few hundered blades and haven't quite realized THE perfect pattern yet,but I'm getting closer and Gene is a willing vehicle in that pursuit.

I give him two thumbs up,in all categories................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You make rebuttal difficult,if'n you edit/delete,every Post you hang.

Don't sweat bustin' my balls,or Genes.

Discussion is good.......................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now I'm laughing... sorry about the edit. I just didn't want to offend anyone else, least of all a respected knifemaker such as Mr. Ingram. Nor do I want to engage in one of those internet drama "pissing matches." It's pretty subjective, and a Ford - Chevy kinda thing. I felt badly for the poster who started the thread to see his new prizes referred to as pizza cutters. Usually I submit to the rule that if you don't have anything good to say... And that seemed a slap in his face. Probably I should have stayed out of it and let him step up if he felt offended. And, I am a Dozier man and pretty brand loyal. To any following this thread I had made reference to another recent thread in which a poster mentioned this forum as an Ingram forum. I didn't say that in a derogatory way, just as an observation.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Anyone using Bob Dozier knives?I just ordered a caper and a skinner.I've heard nothing but good things but [color:"red"] I'd like to hear some opinions! [/color] !Thanks,Monashee

He asked for opinions....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Well I sure nuff got some opinions!!Knives are no different than guns,or trucks,or boats,everyone has their favorite.I bought the Doziers to work;I live in Central British Columbia,and the knives will see their share of moose,bear and deer.After this season I'll post MY opinion!Thanks to all!Regards,Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good Hunting and extry points for pictures..................

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Monashee: Just got done using a Dozier Yukon Pro Skinner to slice up some peppers and onions for the venison sausage tonight. (Big hockey game tonight in Buffalo, NY) I couldn't find anything else to use it on as it only came in the mail this week from the Dozier shop. It is a fine piece of workmanship. I had the handle made like the K-8 for a better grip and looks. I also have a K-18 and a K-31 in stag. I am very happy with the edge retention on these baldes. I also anxiously wait for a #7S Ingram with stag slabs that should be here in July. Both Ingram and Dozier have been top notch people to deal with.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Go Sabres Go!!!I can't stand Carolina,they knocked out the Habs!!Good luck tonite!

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Monashee,
Your gonna be a happy camper. I have a few customs and find Bob's heat treating to be excellent. They take and hold an edge like my custom S30V blades and much better than the other D2 custom and the factory D2 I have. Mine is a Slim Outdoorsman and as previously mentioned the only complaint I have is with wet and cold hands the indestructable micarta is slick and harder to hold than I would like. I find the hoizontal case to be the best use of plastic in the history of mankind, never in the way and always at hand, just brilliant. A couple of strokes on a Sharpmaker after a successful hunt and you could shave if you had to.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To no one in particular and just FWIW...

Linen micarta doesn't have to be slickery. The top knives in this pic are Doziers and came with the polished finish. A few minutes with a Dremel tool and medium flapper wheel raised the grain on the spine and bottom grip and took the slick off the flats.

The middle knife was ordered with the preferred 600 grit wet sandpaper finish from a maker world famous for his filet knives used in awful conditions and is the grippierest but most utilitarian looking. It's reeeaaaallll easy to maintain though...

Bottom knife has a beaded finish and is actually the most attractive and came pretty grippy, though a smidgen of work with sandpaper roughing the spine and grip bottom made it even better...

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
870889-Dscn0161.jpg (0 Bytes, 81 downloads)
Last edited by Journeyman; 05/27/06.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm interested in any particulars on the Fillet Maker,you'd care to share.........................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As most of ya'll here know, a custom maker will provide whatever finish you need on those handles if the knife is ordered directly from the maker. Many will take a knife of their making bought second hand/elsewhere and texture the handle to suit your needs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stick,
The maker is a guy named Phil Wilson from Northern California. Really interesting fella. Was a rocket scientist at Lawrence Livermore National Labs, into materials engineering, and an expert on heat treating. He was a consultant to Crucible on development of the CPM steels and wrote a series of articles on them for BLADE magazine, the one on S30V being particularly circulated on the internet. I first heard of him from a shark fisherman I met in Nova Scotia who swore he had done multiple HUGE sharks down to nothing with Wilson knives, and in researching I could find no one who owned one that didn�t get a woody talking about it�sooo when I took a job in Quebec where there would be tons of great Lake and Brown trout fishing combined with caribou I figured for a 90% fish/10% game knife a fillet maker might be worth a try. Couldn�t bring myself to go with the big sweeping trailing point though so went with what he calls his Bird and Trout. Mines 3-1/4� bladed, but it�s still made with the attributes of a fillet even though it�s a drop point � i.e. it is very, very thin flat ground (only .010 at the edge) and has a full distal taper designed to allow slight flex about an inch back from the tip. It�s S30V at 60 RC and is without exaggeration the sharpest knife I own, and since this is a Dozier thread in my tests it holds a cutting edge in the neighborhood of 40% longer than Dozier D2. Hellofaknife�

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
871055-wilson0005.jpg (0 Bytes, 74 downloads)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1moredeer, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,400
Posts18,470,126
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.